Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Are you sure it's not his second term? I thought they can only serve twice. His are just 30 years apart.
No, I think it is his third. I think his first two were before the term limit law went into affect.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 04:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
I bet you don't know that the name moonbeam was coined because he advocated stuff like solar energy which seemed un worldly to a particular mid westerner who later regretted his term.

It was not coined because he was goofy, like the rightwing crazies want to think.
and he is goofy!!! There was more to it than just the solar thing, a lot more. Were you living in the state when he was elected the first time?

Nita

Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, I think it is his third. I think his first two were before the term limit law went into affect.

Nita
So he served from '76 to '84? For some reason I thought Dukmajian came in earlier although I was too young to remember anything properly at that time.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Brown was 1975-1982.

Back to the current election, I think Brown's TV ad pretty much kills his chances of winning. Basically, I think that he comes off as someone stating "I have no plan for California, so I'm proposing to move stuff that cost money away from the state level and down to the local level, and they can decide locally if they want to fund some/many programs currently funded at the state level."

I don't see this message as activating his base vote. If the local gov't has little funds, obviously he is just allowing programs to be cut in stages, so he wouldn't personally take the hit.

I think he is done, and this specific ad did it to him.

http://www.jerrybrown.org/new-brown-...rsation-voters

Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Brown was 1975-1982.

Back to the current election, I think Brown's TV ad pretty much kills his chances of winning. Basically, I think that he comes off as someone stating "I have no plan for California, so I'm proposing to move stuff that cost money away from the state level and down to the local level, and they can decide locally if they want to fund some/many programs currently funded at the state level."

I don't see this message as activating his base vote. If the local gov't has little funds, obviously he is just allowing programs to be cut in stages, so he wouldn't personally take the hit.

New Brown Ad: A Serious Conversation With Voters | Jerry Brown for Governor
The bolded part is new to me but makes sense the way you put it. I never thought of it that way. I did find myself wondering what his actual vision was sense he never made it clear.

Wow, the choices we have. How did California's political parties select these two? This is the best we can do seriously?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The bolded part is new to me but makes sense the way you put it. I never thought of it that way. I did find myself wondering what his actual vision was sense he never made it clear.

Wow, the choices we have. How did California's political parties select these two? This is the best we can do seriously?
Yes, it isn't really clear in his ad, but what would move from the state to local control? Obviously it would have to be the programs that have cost associated with their missions.

If the program is moved from state to local, funding needs to be provided from somewhere. The state, as Brown proposes, would be kicking the funding obligation to the local level.

It can't mean anything else.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Brown was 1975-1982.

New Brown Ad: A Serious Conversation With Voters | Jerry Brown for Governor
Actually, I got the exact opposite feeling when viewing Brown's new ad because, for once, he is speaking directly to the people of California and says it is time to stop being Democrats and Republicans but rather "Californians." It is the first really sincere ad from either Brown or Whitman and prepares us for the debates when we will really hear candor between the two candidates.

Brown gives a better sense of security and stability. I think people are put off by Whitman's wealth. She has now exceeded any other national candidate in the amount of personal money she has spent; beating the major of New York, Bloomberg. The chasm between the extremely wealthy and the average person is criminal.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 AM

514 posts, read 686,511 times
But, at this time, some of the money collected locally by counties, is appropriated by the State. I know our county complains about local tax money going to the state, so, simply stopping that practice would increase locally available money.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 AM

514 posts, read 686,511 times
Some years ago, Arianna's Huffington's then husband, ran against either Feinstein or Boxer as a conservative Republican, don't remember which. He spent an enormous for the time, amount of money to try to defeat his opponent, but lost. Eventually Arianna left him, and he came out of the closet.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:39 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
Quote:
Brown was 1975-1982.

I think Jerry has made a strategy mistake in the ads by playing up experience as a politician rather than trying to pretend to be an outsider. This is not a good year to admit you have been inside the system for years.

The motivated voter bloc (meaning higher turnout rates) in this election seems to be the anti-politician group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California