Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times

Advertisements

Brown, who pledged not to raise taxes without voters' sign-off, would face a daunting mid-March deadline to get his proposals onto a special-election ballot.

California faces a $28 billion budget shortfall - equivalent to nearly a third of the general fund. (I guess he doesn't want to acknowledge the 660 billion we don't have for pensions yet, he's trying to kick that can down the road for another time. This is going to be fun.)

Jerry Brown: Jerry Brown Tells Californians, "Taxes need to be raised, services cut and belts tightened." - ktla.com

A Democrat gets elected and of course you need your taxes raised. Anyone shocked by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:06 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Brown, who pledged not to raise taxes without voters' sign-off, would face a daunting mid-March deadline to get his proposals onto a special-election ballot.

California faces a $28 billion budget shortfall - equivalent to nearly a third of the general fund. (I guess he doesn't want to acknowledge the 660 billion we don't have for pensions yet, he's trying to kick that can down the road for another time. This is going to be fun.)

Jerry Brown: Jerry Brown Tells Californians, "Taxes need to be raised, services cut and belts tightened." - ktla.com

A Democrat gets elected and of course you need your taxes raised. Anyone shocked by this?
You're so cynical

Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

It's reality! Not enough services can be cut to make up the deficit without running afoul of both federal and state mandates. Clearly, cuts have to be made where they can but that's slim pickens'. Taxes/fees will have to be raised. Let's just hope it doesn't stifle productivity and innovation/venture capital or cause a mass exodus. It has to be a careful juggling act.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,965 times
The Sac Bee has posted an article saying sources have told their reporter that:
"Brown will propose a budget including roughly $10 billion in cuts, about $10 billion in revenue – mostly from the proposed tax extension – and about $8 billion in one-time fixes, a source said."
Brown plans to take tax hike to voters in June - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/30/3288273/brown-plans-to-take-tax-hike-to.html - broken link)

So if true it sounds like he also wants $8 billion that may include things like accounting tricks and borrowing. That continues some of the same bad budgeting solutions we have endured the last few years.

We eventually have to bite the bullet using cuts and taxes without the one-time fixes and stop kicking that can down the road for another year too.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
A few months back, while the insanity of elections was nearing levels of manic-depression that would require sanitarium commitment of every Californian, I posted a thread suggesting that, however unpalatable, there was no way out of special taxes and levies to pump out the state bilges.

There isn't any magic trick. The best the state can do is apply the hurt to discretionary and unhealthy personal expenditures ... yes, sometimes known as a "sin" tax.

Just do it ... get 'er dun.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
So let me get this straight Meg Whitman would have done better?!?!?!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 PM

He said he wants to extend our current taxes, not raise them!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 PM

253 posts, read 349,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
He said he wants to extend our current taxes, not raise them!
augh, but what about "fees"...

he, he, he...

-Truth is... I'll admit, I know taxes have to be raised; I just hope that a majority of California feels the pain, and that more will be cut from the budget, than taxes (or "fees") will be raised.

high hopes, I've got high hopes...

Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM

I am a university student and I hope to hell that the education budget is not cut anymore. It is ridiculous and tedious what the state has done to the education budget from kindergarten through university. The education cuts need to stop.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
Ever hear the old blues song called: "Everybody Wants to Go To Heaven (But Nobody Wants To Die)"? Favorite of mine. A real toe-tapper. This is the reality of budget cutting ... everybody knows it's past time, gotta happen ... but nobody wants their favorite program to be cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California