Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times

Advertisements

Only a matter of time before this thread is closed, because the discussion has evolved to being a topic about illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The homes I refer to in Orlando are by jobs and are in nice neighborhoods ...
The ones you refer to are hella far and are not. Big difference. So, in the equivalent neighborhood in Florida to Fresno, you'd be looking at 40/50k or less. Scales up as you buy a better home. I'm really not trying to exaggerate here.

Cuppertino is equivalent to the area I am referring to in Orlando. And the reference comes in at 100k:500k in extreme case.. 200-300k difference on average.

I'm going to disagree with you. You can't compare Orlando to Cupertino. Income in Cupertino is among the highest in the state. It is far from an average city. Even for California. Cupertino is much more of a place for high priced housing than for employment. In fact, there really isn't much for employment in Cupertino. The overwhelming majority who live in Cupertino work outside Cupertino.

If you want to compare cities and housing prices you need to pick a city around roughly the same size, demographics, and unemployment rates as well as economic sectors.

Sacramento isn't far out there and without jobs. Unemployment is currently high, however, wages aren't bad here at all, normally.

I replied to your post because it was a gross and inaccurate generalization. California is big and diverse to the point most people are unable to comprehend unless they have lived in various parts of the state. Most people living within California don't have much of a clue about other parts of the state other than they pump oil in some areas and grow oranges in others. There are areas with high unemployment, low unemployment, predominantly professional, predominantly service and labor, nice winters, winters where January afternoons are in the 40s (at low elevations). You can't generalize about California. You will see more diversity in environment and economy in the 70 miles from Sacramento to San Francisco than you will in the distance between Miami and Tallahassee. The only other places that can compare to California in any remote way is Washinton and Texas. Although, people have told me traveling from New York City to upstate New York is impressive in its own way.

For what it is worth, Fresno and Modesto are about what you would expect, on average, for most metro areas of the same size across the country. Housing is more expensive, but so is the competition for housing and with higher wages. Both will keep housing prices above average in most areas of California.

Last edited by KC6ZLV; 02-02-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
We are paying for the excessive pensions, excessive pay and children of illegal aliens.
Bingo....

Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: California Budget Poker: Republicans May Raise the Stakes in Jerry Brown's Special Election Bet

The game of high stakes poker in California might get a lot more interesting. Governor Jerry Brown demanded Republican put his tax hike proposals to a vote. Brown said "let the voter decide". Now some Republicans are considering doing just that, provided the ballot also contains a provision to cut taxes.

Game over

Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 AM

178 posts, read 412,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Only a matter of time before this thread is closed, because the discussion has evolved to being a topic about illegal immigration.
We are taxed to death in this state...The elephant is in the room and no one wants to talk about it?...California is going broke and nobody wants to admit illegal immigrants are a major drain on the economy and for the taxpayers of California. Unemployment is high here, so they might as well raise taxes some more, I'm sure that will fix everything!!

Last edited by mollymonk; 02-03-2011 at 01:33 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 AM

What's right has never occurred by sitting back and just sucking up what scumbags dish out to you and, if you make a decent wage, none of that tax software is free.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Uh, The Heritage Foundation is a right-wing think tank who uses so-called research to justify their positions, not the other way around. I'd say they're using this so-called study to justify positions on wedge issues.

I'd hardly call this a credible academic study...more of a partisan political rant.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Uh, The Heritage Foundation is a right-wing think tank who uses so-called research to justify their positions, not the other way around. I'd say they're using this so-called study to justify positions on wedge issues.

I'd hardly call this a credible academic study...more of a partisan political rant.
I don't call charts and data a partisan political rant. You're more than welcome to comb the internet as I have for any data you see fit... Until then, don't come on here w/ your Ad Hominen attacks :

An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), also known as argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.[1] The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy

This was the most concise report complete w/ cited resources and data I found .... You want to attack particular data points, refer to the data and the cited source and provide a logical argument.

Here's some starting points of non-partisan groups in which you will find the same info :
Center for Immigration Studies
U.S. Government Accountability Office (U.S. GAO)

Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 PM

154 posts, read 357,347 times
I'd be curious about what ya'll think about the initiative process we have here in Cali. If you have enough $$ you can hire folks to stand outside of Target, collect signatures, get your idea on the ballot and then we all vote. How many of us have voted based on "That's a good idea!" and never thought to think where the money is coming from to pay for it.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyygirl View Post
I'd be curious about what ya'll think about the initiative process we have here in Cali. If you have enough $$ you can hire folks to stand outside of Target, collect signatures, get your idea on the ballot and then we all vote. How many of us have voted based on "That's a good idea!" and never thought to think where the money is coming from to pay for it.
I think it's great .. I hope this one gains traction :
The State Worker: Group aims to end collective bargaining for public employees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California