Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:04 PM

463 posts, read 1,292,245 times

Advertisements

So.. after a week of hunting we decided on Orcutt. We looked at a lot of nice homes, but everyone we talked to in the area said that Orcutt would be the best choice. Especially for schools. Some of the area's in Santa Maria had nice homes, but when we checked on the schools....they all had low ratings and test scores compared to Orcutt. So, we figured this would be best for our family.
Thanks to anyone who gave us info on the area's !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
So.. after a week of hunting we decided on Orcutt. We looked at a lot of nice homes, but everyone we talked to in the area said that Orcutt would be the best choice. Especially for schools. Some of the area's in Santa Maria had nice homes, but when we checked on the schools....they all had low ratings and test scores compared to Orcutt. So, we figured this would be best for our family.
Thanks to anyone who gave us info on the area's !
If I may ask,,,what are the price ranges of the homes you looked at in Orcutt? Is it cheaper than Santa Maria?
Any organic food stores in Orcutt?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 61,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
If I may ask,,,what are the price ranges of the homes you looked at in Orcutt? Is it cheaper than Santa Maria?
It's more than SM (on average), and the only organic store is going to be the organic section at Albertsons. Orcutt has some great home deals right now if you have the cash...

Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I actually am going to lease a home in Orcutt for 1,800. Looked like the home prices were in the low 300's and up. Unless you get a foreclosure...It is more exp than SM.
I haven't looked for organic stores, but I know there is a Trader Joes opening in SM. Plus there are some TJ's in arroyo grande and SLO.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I actually am going to lease a home in Orcutt for 1,800. Looked like the home prices were in the low 300's and up. Unless you get a foreclosure...It is more exp than SM.
I haven't looked for organic stores, but I know there is a Trader Joes opening in SM. Plus there are some TJ's in arroyo grande and SLO.
Those are good prices. It probably is better to lease and get some idea of the nice neighborhoods.
Trader Joe's is a good store and we shop there regularly. It does look like the Central Coast is finding civilization.
Good Luck to you scubashawn and let us know how things are going.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Those are good prices. It probably is better to lease and get some idea of the nice neighborhoods.
Trader Joe's is a good store and we shop there regularly. It does look like the Central Coast is finding civilization.
Good Luck to you scubashawn and let us know how things are going.
Dean..I saw that there are a few more Organic store's there. Lassen's and Good Earth. Do you live in the area or are you moving there ?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:15 PM

34 posts, read 120,907 times
nipomo/arroyo grande mesa and orcutt are really nice so is arroyo grande/five cities area, i do not like santa maria area at all, especially for raising children higher crime rates etc...

Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicowgirl3319 View Post
nipomo/arroyo grande mesa and orcutt are really nice so is arroyo grande/five cities area, i do not like santa maria area at all, especially for raising children higher crime rates etc...
I personally saw nothing wrong with Santa Maria....We just chose Orcutt for the schools.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM

13 posts, read 61,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicowgirl3319 View Post
It's a fine city, far from great. A decent city, albeit boring, that is fine to raise children in.

Seriously, what is this higher crime rate that people are takling about? It's a larger city, over six times as large, with a more diverse social-economic mix, and a wider range of job markets, as compared to say, Nipomo or Arroyo Grande. Of course it's going to have a higher crime rate, that's how proportion works.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM

371 posts, read 1,822,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homero View Post
It's a fine city, far from great. A decent city, albeit boring, that is fine to raise children in.

Seriously, what is this higher crime rate that people are takling about? It's a larger city, over six times as large, with a more diverse social-economic mix, and a wider range of job markets, as compared to say, Nipomo or Arroyo Grande. Of course it's going to have a higher crime rate, that's how proportion works.
With all due respect, you're getting your terms mixed up. A bigger city will have more crime, but if it has a higher crime rate, then that's bad. It's the difference between total quantity (number of crimes) and proportion (percentage of crimes per capita). Obviously, number of crimes is a useless statistic without knowing how many people live there, whereas the proportion of crimes is what will give us a somewhat-accurate description how how crime-ridden a community is.

With that said, City-Data.com maintains crime statistics for cities, and has a crime index to reflect the proportion of crime in those cities. For Santa Maria, it gives a score of 371.5, which is higher than the national average of 320.9. You can also go to the FBI Uniform Crime Data website and see more recent data, although they don't rank cities in relation to one another.

In any case, beware of sweeping, subjective, generalized comments regarding crime (like the ones you'll find all over these forums). People like to point fingers at something identifiable, and to blame other people (most often a certain social or economic demographic they don't like). Anyway, the numbers are out there--it's up to each of us to interpret them with what we know/feel about our communities.

Based on my subjective view of Santa Maria, I wouldn't want to move there. There seems to be a lot of crime (based on statistics and people's perceptions) and much of it is gang-related. Why would I want to raise my kids there? Because I can buy a cheap house with a yard? No thanks.

Here's an interesting article: http://santamariatimes.com/articles/2008/05/20/opinion/052008a.txt (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California