Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in the East Bay Express about how current fiscal policy shaped by the conservatives in state leadership are contrary to what has been successful for CA in the past, and infinitely more conservative than Regan's CA policies.

The Elephant in the Room | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

I am a fairly liberal person who hopes the government will support many social programs, but I am really sick of our current process where we fund corporate tax breaks and eliminate basic ell being for our states residents and workers. Something is way off balance here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Back then, I'd guess the private sector was expanding and could absorb a tax hike.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Corporate welfare is not good but by and large does not have a major impact. The largest impact is the ever widening maw of unionized public employees, dependents on the state and fraud. The other issue is the declining revenue input - businesses and the wealthy are being pushed out of the state and those who cling here have lower income and therefore pay lower taxes than they would if more successful.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Interesting article in the East Bay Express about how current fiscal policy shaped by the conservatives in state leadership are contrary to what has been successful for CA in the past, and infinitely more conservative than Regan's CA policies.

The Elephant in the Room | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

I am a fairly liberal person who hopes the government will support many social programs, but I am really sick of our current process where we fund corporate tax breaks and eliminate basic ell being for our states residents and workers. Something is way off balance here.
Oh yeah CA is being too conservative. LMAO

Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Oh I agree. we definitely need to fund more Social programs. Just don't raise *MY* taxes.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
The article is obviously biased against the conservatives but the author does make strong points about the need to invest in public infrastructure for California's long term viability.

What the author left out was the out of control salaries for state workers, especially for top administrators, the pensions and benefits, and the social programs made available to recipients -- citizens and illegal.

I, for one, would gladly pay higher taxes if I can be 100% assured that they are going towards California's long term profitability instead of funding corruptness and welfare programs for those who don't deserve them. But keep taxing me at much higher rates without seeing a return on my money, I will keep pushing for cutting spending until I see the government re-prioritize their spending.

BTW, it is pointless for the author to compare Governor Brown to Ronald Reagan -- they both come from completely different eras. Reagan were able to raise taxes because entitlement programs and bloated worker salaries weren't evident back then. Today, we have become cynical of such things after decades of failed policies.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Waiting...just waiting for the Texas cheerleaders to chime in.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Oh yeah CA is being too conservative. LMAO
But that's how liberals see it.

Democrat majority: "Tax the crap out of everything that moves and spend like there's no tomorrow!"
Republican minority: "How about we tax less and only spend what we collect?"
Democrat majority: "Republicans are ruining the state!"

Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM

I am not a big believer in corporate tax breaks or tax breaks for people earning $20M+. The wealthy can afford a few more percentage points of income tax. This would make a huge difference in our states well-being. The same is true of commercial property owners. If you have a large expensive property, you should be subject to a few more taxes.

We aren't funding any infrastructure at all. I hit HUGE potholes daily. Everyone needs and benefits from public infrastructure: roads, schools, transit, public hospitals.

It is a big misconception that we are driving the wealthy people out. They are still here and they want to stay. If Bill Gates complains he is under-taxed, you know something is wrong.

I am happy to support public services, if my money actually goes to fund the stuff they said they were going to. Right now, CA isn't keeping up its end of the bargain and providing for residents.

One thing I hate is all of the "conservatives" saying "public services are horrible, only users and losers take advantage of them" and they are the first ones to use Medicare, Medical, and Social Security benefits. These are all social programs, and many types of people take advantage of them: poor, elderly, disabled, temporarily out of work, or people in transition, etc.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
But that's how liberals see it.

Democrat majority: "Tax the crap out of everything that moves and spend like there's no tomorrow!"
Republican minority: "How about we tax less and only spend what we collect?"
Democrat majority: "Republicans are ruining the state!"
I don't think we have any liberal policies anymore. Since state leaders aren't really willing to compromise or some to any agreements, we are just cutting all of the statewide programs: education, health, infrastructure.

The Republicans are saying: we need to cut the budget and cut taxes on our friends the rich people. But regular middle class workers -- they need to pay more, especially on their declining residences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California