Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 AM

301 posts, read 571,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This isn't something I just pulled out of my pocket, the Dallas area is known as a humid subtropical climate, see here:

File:Climatemapusa2.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, "getting use to" implies that the weather becomes tolerable, but it doesn't and unlike the cold there isn't much you can do about it other than go indoors. I mean, once you have all your cloths off there isn't much else you can do to cool down outside.
Maybe it's classified as subtropical but I have lived a lot of places and this doesn't feel that bad to me And yes some of us get used to it. I grew up and lived in colder climates for years and I am outdoors quite a bit even now. And so are many others I see running and biking etc. Is it ideal? Heck no. But at least some people can adapt to it pretty well. Now stick me in MN and I would NOT do well with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Never said I was concerned
Even about the people dying left and right? It's nice that there is such a big country for all of us to hopefully live where we like.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Default Governor Brown on Obama: GOP gearing up to Destroy

@jifie....you right. That was meant to be a new thread.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 08-08-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
Even about the people dying left and right? It's nice that there is such a big country for all of us to hopefully live where we like.
Oh so now people ARE dying left and right???

Funny what it takes to get some to admit certain facts.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
This is really a pretty silly thread at this point. I think most people will agree most of the populated areas of California have nicer weather than the populated areas of Texas.

But user_id - somehow we manage to have a life here in the heat, including the hot weather. Athletes train in it, kids play in it, and workers work in it. It is hot as heck here right now, but I don't want to move away from here because of it.

.highnlite - I have never in my life met anyone that complained about the lack of places for mule packing but since that is important to you - you are living in the right place.

Somehow, the air quality where people in Texas live is much better than the air quality where people live in California. Less ozone, fewer particulates. Blame it on geography if you want, but your lungs don't care who is to blame.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But user_id - somehow we manage to have a life here in the heat, including the hot weather. Athletes train in it, kids play in it, and workers work in it.
And people manage a life in Minnesota in the winter, this doesn't change the fact that the weather greatly limits what you can and can't do.

How many Athletes are training in the afternoon? How many kids out playing at 1 pm?

People deal with the oppressive heat in Texas, but their bodies don't magically become tolerant of it. Its something you largely deal with by avoiding it as much as possible.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

But user_id - somehow we manage to have a life here in the heat, including the hot weather. Athletes train in it, kids play in it, and workers work in it. It is hot as heck here right now, but I don't want to move away from here because of it.

It is a physiological fact that high heat and high humidity are objective health threats. The body's ability to cool itself is greatly reduced in high humidity. People do live in it, and if they have never lived anywhere else it is tough to make the comparison.

Myself, moving to the mildly humid coast of CA from the extreme aridity of the Great Basin, suffered from the humidity. That you can actually soak a shirt with sweat is remarkable. In the arid areas your shirt will dry as you sweat, your body likes that much better.

.highnlite - I have never in my life met anyone that complained about the lack of places for mule packing but since that is important to you - you are living in the right place.

I use that to illustrate quantity and quality of open space. Aldo Leopold stated that a wilderness should be large enough to accommodate a two week horse pack trip. The east, just can't do that. Now, mule packing is not the sole reason lots of public land is good. Humans need natural contact, fishing, sitting and looking, hiking, climbing, etc are all things we has humans need to be psychologically healthy. There is nothing psychologically healthy about large dense populations of humans i.e. cities. I know that is where most people live today, and where the great majority of City-Data responders reside, I find that sad, and in my own peculiar way I attempt here to get folks to think a bit about getting outside.

The following map is pretty cool, it shows dramatically how much public land each state has
;

Somehow, the air quality where people in Texas live is much better than the air quality where people live in California. Less ozone, fewer particulates. Blame it on geography if you want, but your lungs don't care who is to blame.

That statement really isn't accurate. The air quality in some areas of California is bad, but, the bay area does pretty good, the coast is great, all the way to San Diego. It is the inland urban areas like much of Los Angeles and also the southern San Joaquin Valley.

Oddly San Luis Obispo County is high on the list of polluted areas, yet the air in 90% of the county is just fine, but there is a monitoring station in the far east of the county that picks up the pollutants from the Southern San Joaquin Valley, the air at that location is so bad, it skews the average for the county and makes it look like the overall air quality is poor. Which it ain't.

Last edited by .highnlite; 08-08-2011 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
I agree that living and recreating in the extreme heat is both more dangerous and less pleasurable than living and recreating in mild weather. However, as a former Minnesotan and resident of Michigan and Maine, I'll affirm that people in cold climates do VERY well recreating in the cold ... many there prefer it and look forward to those seasons (ice-fishing, skiing, skating, sno-camping, hunting, on and on ... have done all myself with pleasure, though I no longer care to). You will find athletes training every afternoon in the extreme cold ... you will find kids out playing at all hours ... we bundled up and had a blast. Not so much in extreme heat.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Oh so now people ARE dying left and right???

Funny what it takes to get some to admit certain facts.
Obviously the sarcasm dripping in my post went sailing way over your head. Some people like cold, some moderate, some hot. Some love CA or TX or somewhere. It's not worth all of this us vs them stuff. Really.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I agree that living and recreating in the extreme heat is both more dangerous and less pleasurable than living and recreating in mild weather. However, as a former Minnesotan and resident of Michigan and Maine, I'll affirm that people in cold climates do VERY well recreating in the cold ... many there prefer it and look forward to those seasons (ice-fishing, skiing, skating, sno-camping, hunting, on and on ... have done all myself with pleasure, though I no longer care to). You will find athletes training every afternoon in the extreme cold ... you will find kids out playing at all hours ... we bundled up and had a blast. Not so much in extreme heat.
I just can't take the cold so I'm happy to not have to. I'll take the heat anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California