Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,856,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Does the truth bother you?
who's truth?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,703,626 times
What's the deal here? Who wants to eat unhealthy crap infested with pesticide and chemicals?

There are very few healthy grocery stores in Bakersfield in the midst of all the big restaurants chains that promote an unhealthy lifestyle. Now we have Fresh and Easy, local Farmers Market, and one Trader Joe's store -- but that is not enough to promote a healthier lifestyle. I imagine this is the same everywhere else in California.

People should pay more for healthy and organic foods to avoid poisoning your body for a longer lifespan. I'd rather have everyone have a healthier lifestyle than see more of my tax money to help take care of fatards who spent years gobbling down twinkies.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
who's truth?
Not who but what. Your asking the wrong question.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,421,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
you radical! :d
:d

Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,421,423 times
Quote:
I've noticed a few good hearts around c-d-f... just a few but that's better than none.
Yeah there are a few. They know I'm with them and sounds like you as well

Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,913,572 times
I find it interesting that in our democratic republic the concept of freedom and choice is all-revered but not supported by government policy. I don't personally believe in democracy because it relies on an intelligent electorate and a conscionable leadership -- in both government and business. We have, on one hand an electorate of about 90% blindly ignorant, and on the other hand an elite tier of about 10% opportunists, mostly without morals.

For those of you taking the position that "people choose their bad habits", that is an easy oversimplification. People do not often "choose" to destroy themselves ... they are conditioned to live in one or several destructive belief sets such as "I can indulge in this [poor/unhealthy] lifestyle because":
• I am stronger than these toxic forces --
• Medical science will overcome the effects of my lifestyle -- (all I have to do is take medicines / vitamins / operations / etc)
• I can't afford to live any other way
• It's all bullsh8t what they say about this stuff being bad for me
• I'll get to [correcting] it later -- there's plenty of time
• I need to "treat" myself and this stuff makes me feel better
-- the list goes on.

Where do these mindsets come from? Corporate product conditioning in a consumer economy culture. It's not really a sinister corporate master conspiracy -- but it is effectively a corporate conspiracy of opportunity. The most clever of the merchant class have learned over time how to package life ... and sell it powerfully. And they have learned over time that many of their products are unhealthy, both toxic and addictive ... and they are actively, willfully, leverage that reality for maximum personal profit regardless of any cost to the welfare of their customers.

And government policy supports consumer corporate economic culture at every turn -- even though the purpose of government is to assist the welfare and safety of its citizenry.

I don't suggest that it is the best policy in a free society that government ban products ... nor do I suggest that the government should spoon-feed its citizens and nanny them.

But consider the case of tobacco: Over the past generation tobacco packaging and advertising has been severely controlled to reflect the truths of the product ... in addition, aggressive anti-smoking campaigns have been government supported to inform the public and teach our youth ... aggressive taxation has been applied to the tobacco products to pay for the campaigns and health programs. Sure enough, slowly, the rate of smoking is declining. And thus we see government allowing free enterprise -- but with limits reflecting its value / harm to society ... government allows citizens the right to harm themselves by smoking as well ... and many continue to do so. But it has also made the developers and suppliers of the toxic products accountable for their enterprise's realities .. and has made the reality highly visible to the public.

But slowly, the generations of conditioning are being re-conditioned to a higher awareness of the reality of the destructive products and the consequences of their habits.

You can call it "Feel good group hugs, drum circles and Kumbaya!" all you want, of course ... I call it patriotic and the proper application of government's mandate to support its people.

Last edited by nullgeo; 10-05-2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 12:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,519,674 times
Quote:
How friggin condescending can you be?!
About as condescending as you and others who believe that people aren't smart enough to know or learn/figure out what's good for them and their children without gubmint tellin' 'em!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,519,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You can call it "Feel good group hugs, drum circles and Kumbaya!" all you want, of course ... I call it patriotic and the proper application of government's mandate to support its people.
I call your take on it Pavlovian. Last I checked, we humans were somewhat "higher" on the evolutionary scale than dogs. But I suppose I could be wrong.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I just heard a bell ring!

Counting down now....4....3....2....1

Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
About as condescending as you and others who believe that people aren't smart enough to know or learn/figure out what's good for them and their children without gubmint tellin' 'em!

Exactly. The only condescending people in this thread are the ones who believe that most adults can't think for themselves and need their help in just about every aspect of their daily lives.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,913,572 times
Quote:
I call your take on it Pavlovian.
Pretty close, hoss
Quote:
Last I checked, we humans were somewhat "higher" on the evolutionary scale than dogs.
I couldn't disagree more.
Dogs never try to be that what they ain't ... and they don't systematically destroy the world they live in.
Eat when hungry, sleep when tired, chase the ball whenever it rolls. Life is simple -- and deep -- and wise when one allows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California