Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,979,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The majority of the population of the US is going to be Mexican in 1-2 decades? Not sure how you're going to achieve that considering it only takes 1-2 generations for immigrants to assimilate....
You need to factor in illegal immigration

US Census: Hispanic children now majority in California

The detailed figures from the 2010 US Census shows that Hispanics now account for 38% of California's population, almost equal with the 40% of non-Hispanic whites.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,913,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
First: Thank you to user_id and null geo for your respective previous comments.

I don't know much about the scenario- what constitutes an "illegal" who is eligible for such benefits, and what the actual wording of the bill is.

Second: I ask that commentors, when making factual statements, would include links to relevant sources. ...
It is indeed hard to believe that the case could be so simple - so completely wrong - that a California governor would simply sign over a huge amount of taxpayer money to illegal immigrants who are paying no tax and thus depriving deserving taxpayers of tose resources.

Null Geo and UserID- please provide links for your statements? Thanks.
Not sure which statements you want links for ... but the article I quoted came from the Millbrae Patch newspaper (Millbrae CA) ...
Governor Signs California Dream Act - Millbrae, CA Patch
... but that's not of any unique significance ... you can read the details of the bill Brown signed in any number of places including L.A. Times ... no need to direct Don9 to ANY source because his 'Serpico' job is just to pretend to be a Tea Partier so as to discredit that whole movement ... thus he'll rant against any factual statement regardless of source.

As for your statement (bolded above): uh, yeah, right ... political maneuvering is typically veiled action to benefit agendas that politicians often prefer to keep closely held ... nothing new there ... been that way since hunting-gathering bands moved on to agriculture economies that required cooperation on larger scales. For references there I would simply refer you to any thorough study source on cultural anthropology

I wrote a few years back a short, whimsical description of politics and politicians -- here, if you care to read:
Whitman & Fiorina Falling in the Polls
The central statement being:
"Politics is about people in plaid pants and bow-ties and bowler hats, with garters on their sleeves and canes in their hands, standing on soapboxes, barking up slogans and sensational claims to get you to enter their sideshow tents. It is a sham and a scam of self-interests and egos. It is shallow, if not entirely empty, promises. It is calculated deceit. It is a personal career path based on marketing illusions contrived to garner a following of supporters, and based on gaining and holding a prestigious job with a sense of power, a substantial salary, highly profitable tangential opportunities, and incredible lifetime benefit packages.

There are very few politicians, if any, who are actually “public servants” by nature and effort and commitment. Have a real good look at the charlatans all – and most importantly, look behind the curtains at those shadow figures pulling the levers that make the politicians dance – both left and right across the stage."

Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,110,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
US Census: Hispanic children now majority in California

The detailed figures from the 2010 US Census shows that Hispanics now account for 38% of California's population, almost equal with the 40% of non-Hispanic whites.
Umm...."Hispanic" is not the same as "Mexican". Furthermore, the racial make-up of California is irrelevant, "Mexican" isn't a race its a nationality.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,979,827 times
Quote:
Umm...."Hispanic" is not the same as "Mexican". Furthermore, the racial make-up of California is irrelevant, "Mexican" isn't a race its a nationality.
Typical ... your answer is not on point

Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM

296 posts, read 614,785 times
Quote:
Which is even greater motivation to actually read about matters instead of listening to people on a forum.... I don't expect people to take what I say as gospel.
Then don't waste my bandwidth with unsupported statements!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,889,995 times
Do you hear that giant sucking sound? That's the sound of the nation's 25+ million illegals relocating to California.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Not sure which statements you want links for ... but the article I quoted came from the Millbrae Patch newspaper (Millbrae CA) ...
Governor Signs California Dream Act - Millbrae, CA Patch
Thanks. I did read it. Here also. I'm not immersed in the same media sphere as you so I'm not as finely tuned to the subject.

So: 1% of CA's college funding is now going to be made available to non-US citizens who are not legally on the books, but who are already receiving resident tuition rates and have already attended California high schools. And all this would be available only after all residents have been given tuition aid...

It appears to me that this is enacted in order to win the votes of future Californians. But one more: What exactly - exactly - is an undocumented resident?

The problems with education extends deeper. Many colleges are full to capacity as it is and are unavailable to students who would like to attend, citizenship or no. EG: I, a US citizen and resident of CA, looked into a BSCS at SDSU, but was ineligible to register because I already have bachelor degrees, and the computer science program is "impacted."

So then, to what extent are undocumented, illegals, whatever you want to call them, getting in the way of those of us who are citizens and have been paying all our lives into the system?

Last edited by scottfreez; 10-09-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 PM

178 posts, read 412,916 times
Brown is a traitor to all the legal hardworking taxpayers in California.

I beg the rest of the country 'Don't Bail Us Out' !!! We need to hit rock bottom...Brown and all the idiots in the California legislature need to be voted out along with all their give-away-freebie programs for the illegals.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,307,478 times
Quote:

So, Jerry signed a Bill that gets him political points where he targets ... but the Bill doesn't really cost him (or the population) hardly anything in real dollars. It's all smoke and mirrors. Illusion. Yeah ... freak out about this 1% of Cal Grant, while 1% of our population runs amok with the real money ... guiding your desires through trends and fashions and all your consumer fueled desires.
You are missing the whole point. This is just one more thing politicians have done at the expense of American citizens and legal immigrants. Justification of as being OK based on what percentage it is of the total budget is one of the reasons California has a fiscal mess. That added expense here and a few more there adds up. $14.5 million isn't small. It is money diverted away from American citizens so some Mexican in the Assembly who doesn't care about this country can get reelected.

Quote:
I enjoy watching this controversy get peoples knickers all up in a bunch ... as usual huge numbers of folks focus on sideshows, ignoring the big issues ... there are good arguments for educating youth from disadvantaged backgrounds .
No, we aren't discussing the issue of educating disadvantaged youths. We are discussing the issue of educating illegal aliens. The issue is there are limited resources which are increasingly being diverted from disadvantaged American citizens to illegal aliens for political gain.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM

To what degree are California's high schools, community colleges and universities already suffering under the additional burden of illegal aliens?

Last edited by scottfreez; 10-09-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California