Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

I guess its true. Wisdom comes with age. LOL

Quote:
"The whole framework of law is crucial for the operations of business enterprises," Brown said. "But when over prescriptive, it creates a huge and growing amount of overhead and it does seem that we're reaching the point of counter-productivity."

LegalNewsline | Brown: California is over-regulated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:16 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Ah, another liberal wakes up!

Or, is he being an opportunist? He is running for governor, afterall!

Jerry Brown shows O.C. his moderate, populist side | brown, state, people - News - The Orange County Register

Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post

Does the leopard ever really change its spots?During his two terms as governor (1975-1983) he was known as a left wing loon.His flaky behavior earned him his nickname of "Governor Moonbeam"So now he is moving to the center and picturing himself as a moderate?Im not buying it,but most of the voters will.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Does the leopard ever really change its spots?During his two terms as governor (1975-1983) he was known as a left wing loon.His flaky behavior earned him his nickname of "Governor Moonbeam"So now he is moving to the center and picturing himself as a moderate?Im not buying it,but most of the voters will.
Such cynicism.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:03 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I guess its true. Wisdom comes with age. LOL

LegalNewsline | Brown: California is over-regulated
Interesting read. But it looks like he is well aware of the fact that it is more important to not say anything that will upset ppl to secure the win. Like this statement:

Quote:
I don't think taking on Prop. 13 is viable," said Brown, who was on hand as part of a speaker's series at the school. "I don't think it (change) is needed.

"As a candidate, if you even peep about a tax, you're dead"
Is he the new and improved Jerry Brown with well thought out goals and strategies to turn the state around or just better than ever at be politicking to win an election?

For me the substance is lacking far behind the fanfare and careful posturing. Isn't this just old California politics as usual, where looking good is paramount above all else.

Derek

Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Ya know, as Mayor of Oakland he was very pro-development and business friendly.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Such cynicism.
Such pragmatism.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ya know, as Mayor of Oakland he was very pro-development and business friendly.

Ya know, in my head I keep asking "He was Mayor of Oakland... so what did he do about crime?"

I really should do some research but I haven't yet.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:13 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Folks (especially those of you born after about 1975, and those of you who are Greenhorns from other places) - when Moonbeam says we're over regulated, that means we are over regulated to death, and therefore, are in very deep doo doo.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Ya know, in my head I keep asking "He was Mayor of Oakland... so what did he do about crime?"

I really should do some research but I haven't yet.
Well, Oakland's crime rate dropped signifantly in the end of the last decade and began to spike near the end of his term.

Its not really his fault as far as Im concerned as Oakland's crime rate rises and falls pretty much the same way national trends go.

This year, crime is much lower than last year, but that's happening everywhere.

As far as Business and Development, Jerry Brown presided over the biggest residential building boom in Oakland since before the 1950s. His Y10K initiative to bring high density housing continues today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: