Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
You (like so many) have a cliche notion about Santa Cruz county.
There are plenty of non hippie / non liberal people in the county and plenty of guns as well.

It's a whole lot of fun when i'm camping in the redwoods or walking with my dog in the redwoods and i hear guns being shot and, because of the eco-system ... the woods and the gulches and canyons, not knowing where the hell the shots are coming from and having no confidence that the a** holes shooting in the woods have any idea of what they are doing and / or where they are in relation to anyone else in the woods so saying "stay away from them" is just moronic because of the morons who out there with their damn guns!
Your enjoyment is at my and my dogs peril!

At least the folks in Idaho have respect for their firearms and tend to know what they're doing.
I trust the folks with guns there a lot more than i do here.
Trust? ... Stick with your dog ... a weapon you CAN trust Homo-sapiens should have half the heart, half the brains, and half the teeth as a good pup. (oh yeah, I joke a lot, but I'm serious as a heart attack when it comes to my dogs ... can't beat 'em for conversation or consultation on any subject.)

Had the displeasure of working with really BIG guns and ordinance for a while in my past ... sorry to say ... first hand experience with what they do at their worst ... spoiled them for me for fun in latter years. But I don't hold it against others. I can't be around it much, but my three sons are avid shooters and hunters. I do have a 20 gauge for bird hunts. Kids gave me a crossbow to hunt deer since my one bum arm can't pull a real bow ... had to get a doctor's waiver to hunt with the crossbow. I got two of the three boys fired up about bow hunting ... now they go for elk and bear with compound bows. Youngest wants to try long-bows! But they still love their guns, too. I can't get a CCW for my cross-bow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Since, in our infinite wisdom, we've eliminated/reduced many of the natural predators of, for instance, the various types of deer, something has to cull the population. Imagine the impact of unrestricted deer breeding.

And venison is damn tasty.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Since, in our infinite wisdom, we've eliminated/reduced many of the natural predators of, for instance, the various types of deer, something has to cull the population. Imagine the impact of unrestricted deer breeding.

And venison is damn tasty.
I love animals more than anything or anyone on the planet and so, though i understand your rationale, i, sensitive soul that i am, cannot tolerate the fact that people hunt for enjoyment.
And if there wasn't the imbalance due to the reduced population of natural predators, people would still be hunting and killing and still enjoying it.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Trust? ... Stick with your dog ... a weapon you CAN trust Homo-sapiens should have half the heart, half the brains, and half the teeth as a good pup. (oh yeah, I joke a lot, but I'm serious as a heart attack when it comes to my dogs ... can't beat 'em for conversation or consultation on any subject.)

Harry Nilsson - Me And My Arrow - YouTube

Arrow is his dog, btw ... in case you're not familiar with "the point".

Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Know it well ... had a student when I taught high school (alternative public program) years and years back who got a dog and named him Arrow ... speaking of hippies -- and dogs ... they were quite the pair! My giant stinky boy is at my feet as I type. Of course, in a van, you can't get far from each others' feet ...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Know it well ... had a student when I taught high school (alternative public program) years and years back who got a dog and named him Arrow ... speaking of hippies -- and dogs ... they were quite the pair! My giant stinky boy is at my feet as I type. Of course, in a van, you can't get far from each others' feet ...
That's so cool.

I call my dog arrow at times ... just one of many nick-names.
She goes with me everywhere.
She's at my ass as i type ... on the floor ... nudging me with her insistent and persistent nose.
I found her as a pup crossing the highway in Nevada.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I call my dog arrow at times.
She goes with me everywhere.
She's at my ass as i type ... on the floor ... nudging me with her insistent and persistent nose.
I found her as a pup crossing the highway in Nevada.
Heh ... 'nuther buddy of mine way back found a dog in Loomis, Washington ... a tiny podunk town in the north Cascades, east side ... or I should say the dog found him and wouldn't let him leave without ... just jumped into the guy's truck cab and sat there in co-pilot position ... so he named him Loomis and they spent the next 16 or so years cruising.

Nothing to do with carrying a handgun in the open .... except I'd rather "carry" my dog for protection ... he's literally 115 pounds, no fat ... why I camp in my vans with doors unlocked and windows down even in the cities ... takes his job pretty serious ... only problem is my ego ... everytime a lady walks by and remarks, Oh, how handsome! -- well, I know it ain't me

Old 10-10-2011, 11:13 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Am I missing something? Is there a huge wave of crime committed by those who open carry? Between wasting his time on crap like this, passing the California dream act and bending over for the unions, he really is screwing the taxpayers over.
This is a result of open carry groups in California trying get more recognition or change the law to allow live ammo while open carrying. I forget which but they scared the people I to voting Open carry completely out. I guess it wasn't much good anyhow seeing how you couldn't carry loaded....what's the point? I wouldn't open carry knowing that everyone around me knew it was unloaded...sounds like you're begging for trouble.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Heh ... 'nuther buddy of mine way back found a dog in Loomis, Washington ... a tiny podunk town in the north Cascades, east side ... or I should say the dog found him and wouldn't let him leave without ... just jumped into the guy's truck cab and sat there in co-pilot position ... so he named him Loomis and they spent the next 16 or so years cruising.

Nothing to do with carrying a handgun in the open .... except I'd rather "carry" my dog for protection ... he's literally 115 pounds, no fat ... why I camp in my vans with doors unlocked and windows down even in the cities ... takes his job pretty serious ... only problem is my ego ... everytime a lady walks by and remarks, Oh, how handsome! -- well, I know it ain't me
And mine ... well, she loves people so much (as much as i love dogs) that i'd have to get her a companion if i ... if we ... wanted some protection.
She was almost killed a couple of years ago.
We lived on a place with chickens and these two hell hounds (pit bull mixes) got off their chains and were after the chickens and had some blood lust going on and we walked out to sit in the field and the two dogs came out from behind some bushes and cornered her.
She tried to move away and they stayed right on her and then she did what i'd never seen her do ... she went down on her back, gave them her belly and submitted and that's when they went in for the kill.
And they would have killed her if i and another guy on the property weren't there to chase them off.
One went for the neck (just missed that main artery) and the other went for her thigh.
Now she's a bit skittish around more than one big dog ... understandably.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So I totally get people's right to own firearms and all that.

But how often on a typical daily basis do you see people walking around stores and into work armed to the teeth? Is that what you people really expect?

I work in a large company. If I exercise what I feel is my right to carry a gun on my belt, people will promptly sh*t their pants, shut down the entire company, and call the SWAT team because they'll think I'm another disgruntled wacko about to blow the place up. It would just not fly well with co-workers to come into meeting rooms and starting by clunking my 45 down on the table. Same with most other walks of life.

I understand that people have a right to own guns and protect themselves in their homes. But if we have to be a Wild West or a Mad Max type of a world where we must become one-man mercenaries ready to pull the trigger around any corner just to go out and about our daily lives...then something is seriously wrong.
Can you explain the reason why you need to CCW at work in a corporate office? I own a gun and would like a CCW and I couldn't imagine being that big of an idiot to try what you are suggesting ... Appeal to extremes much?

Most companies have bans... Again, CCW is not allowed in a lot of places. uninformed ignorance is rearing its fearful head.

The beauty of CCW is that you most probably have never noticed it and the people were all around you.. Millions of people have CCW and the scenarios you non-gun owners paint don't happen.. Magical aint it?

My background .. I work in one of those nice cozy corporate offices just like you ... am very well educated and hey, I happen to own a gun and would have a CCW if I was allowed.. When would i CCW? When I do motorcycle rides out into BFE ... when I in a bad neighborhood ...

Not when I am strolling the mall or at work.. Where do you people come up w/ this stuff?
http://cdn.theurbandaily.com/files/2010/09/kobe-wtf.gif (broken link)
Been watching too many movies bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California