Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 AM

165 posts, read 202,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't see why it should be difficult to get one. It's easy here in VA and we don't seem to have any problems from it. We also have very few restrictions on open carry and no issues with that either.
CAVA, in Virginia we have "shall issue" permits, which mean that the local magistrate has to issue permits to anyone who applies for them as long as they meet certain requirements. This includes taking an NRA approved gun safety class and passing a background check.

In a few of the unfortunate states, you normally have to get approval from either the local sheriff or judge (magistrate). Naturally, the elites will have a much better chance finding a buddy who will approve them. The good thing is that in those cases, the permits usually don't expire and there aren't requirements to meet. Normally, you can go to any sheriff in the state to get approval. I don't know California, but do pity you folks.

See back in NOVA CAVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Belt loop portable biometric safe. All legal.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Belt loop portable biometric safe. All legal.
Gimme a little time and it won't be.

Actually I find the idea hilarious.

Can you disguise it as a fanny pack?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Gimme a little time and it won't be.

Actually I find the idea hilarious.

Can you disguise it as a fanny pack?
I suppose you could The best part is you don't have to do this and then that when entering or exiting a vehicle.

All I carry in mine is my droid dontcha know.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I suppose you could The best part is you don't have to do this and then that when entering or exiting a vehicle.

All I carry in mine is my droid dontcha know.
It's kinda like a chastity belt for your gun.

It's there, but you gotta unlock it to get to it. But you do keep others away. Seems a good idea for anti-pickpockets also, hehe.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:02 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Well like people have said it depends on your county or city. I talked to several people in Chico who said it was pretty easy to get. In Alameda County it's extremely difficult. I know someone who got theirs because they made friends with the right people. No specific reason to have it, but they said that was the key to get it was who you knew.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
A reasonable person would think anyone seriously thinking of obtaining a CCW would know how to get one without bringing the subject up in a public discussion.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
A reasonable person would think anyone seriously thinking of obtaining a CCW would know how to get one without bringing the subject up in a public discussion.
But a prudent person might test the waters on a public forum to gain what, if any, information they can.

OP, if you get a permit, most other states provide reciprosity so you can carry there as well. Not surprisingly, CA doesn't for out of state permits.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But a prudent person might test the waters on a public forum to gain what, if any, information they can.

OP, if you get a permit, most other states provide reciprosity so you can carry there as well. Not surprisingly, CA doesn't for out of state permits.
Do you know of any cases that an enterprising attorney has taken up arguing that Equal protection clause and/or the full faith and credit clause applies to the right to CCW?

Last edited by Senno; 02-18-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Do you know of any cases that an enterprising attorney has taken up arguing that Equal protection clause and/or the full faith and credit clause applies to the right to CCW?
No, and I doubt one would fly. The Supremes have ruled that states have the right to regulate the access to weapons (criminals, mentally ill, etc.). That would likely cover the issue of CCWs. That's why the "must issue," "may issue" and "go to hell" differences exist beween states and various jurisdictions within states.

But I'm no expert. I have mine, know where reciprocity exists, and doesn't, and that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California