Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Born in your state (MO), and a San Francisco resident for more than twenty years.
That 'splains everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Except of course there are many ways California can get food, only one of which is actually growing it.
One of the more bizarre statements I have ever read. I suppose we could mine our food?

But of course, Let them eat Coal!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
One of the more bizarre statements I have ever read. I suppose we could mine our food?
No.....a little thing called trade. Its amazing, I can make some non-food item and then trade it (via currencies of course) for food. And heck, I can trade with people that are in areas with well....water.

Food is essential, growing it in California is not...

Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Why would anyone think about taking a vacation to Texas over California? Cali has nature beauty, miles of coastline, endless sunshine, great temps, tons of good restaurants, lots of beautiful women and hollywood.

Texas is a built up mirage in the middle of the plains with flat boring scenery, hot temps, drought, tons of Fast Food places and fat people.

If Air Conditioning never existed, wonder how populated Texas would really be? In Cali, in a good majority of places have the perfect weather.
OK, it obvious you know nothing about Texas.

Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Texas

TEXAS EXPLORER

Corpus Christi, Texas

Corpus Christi - Corpus Christi Texas

Last edited by JoninATX; 01-10-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No.....a little thing called trade. Its amazing, I can make some non-food item and then trade it (via currencies of course) for food. And heck, I can trade with people that are in areas with well....water.

Food is essential, growing it in California is not...

Not likely.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not likely.
What isn't likely?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Your sentence
Quote:
Except of course there are many ways California can get food, only one of which is actually growing it.
I know you city kids think food comes from stores, but, it is actually grown. Whether it is in CA or not.

Don't you think it is completely ludicrous to suggest that the state that supplies more food to the nation than any other by leaps and bounds start importing food?

Perhaps you can get a job as a consultant to the government of Saudi Arabia, suggest to them that they stop producing oil and begin importing oil.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
No, Texas can't compare with California beauty but Texas is far from being flat, and don't get me started on Texas women.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I know you city kids think food comes from stores, but, it is actually grown.
Grown? You don't say... Gee, here I thought it magically materialized at Fresh and Easy, Ralphs, etc.

Quote:
Don't you think it is completely ludicrous to suggest that the state that supplies more food to the nation than any other by leaps and bounds start importing food?
No, why would it be ludicrous? There are a number of areas throughout the world that use to be net exporters of agriculturally products that are now net importers. Its just basic economics...if water in California becomes too scarce to allow for cost effective farming than California should switch to different sorts of production and import foods. Indeed, if California tax payers weren't subsiding farming in California a lot of the activity would already be gone.

Quote:
Perhaps you can get a job as a consultant to the government of Saudi Arabia, suggest to them that they stop producing oil and begin importing oil.
Actually this would likely benefit the kingdom, it would reorient the government around production and innovation instead of sucking out junk from the earth. But this is a poor analogy anyways, oil is not a man made commodity....

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What isn't likely?
Importation. The Ag business in California is the strongest in the state and controls much of the water, more than urban uses. California has the number one most productive ag regions in the world.....Water is extremely important, and does have to be dealt with, but food production along with water is of national and world importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California