Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

Yeah, not at all like Southern CA beaches with all the sewage spills.

I mean, seriously, who would ever eat the fish taken from the coastal waters of Southern CA?
Some people never get outside of their comfort zone to actually look up information or better yet investigate it for themselves. They just post nonsense. I will never understand how this occurs in the era of infomation technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I can remember when there wasn't wall-to-wall housing from OC to SD.)
There still isn't... unless by SD you mean the SD County line.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
There still isn't... unless by SD you mean the SD County line.
Duh -- I didn't mean that literally. And, after all, there is Pendleton and The Dolly Partons to break up the wall-to-wall housing.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The Gulf water in Galveston is not only too warm to be refreshing, it is thick, silty, polluted and chocolate-milk brown. Add to that the disgusting amounts of seaweed and jellyfish that are always washing up on the thin, brown beach and constant sticky tar from the offshore wells.

Yeah, it's not like Manhattan Beach.

South Padre Island is nicer, but still not in the same world as California beaches.
South Padre is for kids.

There are nice beaches along the Gulf Coast. Galvestion certainly is not one of them however with that being said...it is a decent place to just get away from the city life. Something about that saltsea air and the sound of the gulls, and the warm summer breeze. Just don't get in the water.

BTW that " chocolate-milk brown" is the Mississippii River Water Runoff:

Farm Runoff: Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico

Wow look at how badly Avalon beach in So CA ranks

Avalon's dirty little secret: Its beach is heavily polluted - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
I don't think Manhattan Beach has the nicest beach in the world (it's cold). It does have a great "lifestyle" though. Lots of great places to walk to, nice restaurants and pretty views.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't think Manhattan Beach has the nicest beach in the world (it's cold). It does have a great "lifestyle" though. Lots of great places to walk to, nice restaurants and pretty views.
One of my favorite beaches near my house is Montara State Beach. It is a nice little beach that is not frequented too much. Even on the rare 80 degree day that beach is wide open. That is one of the things I love about it. My partner and I take his BFB (big binoculars) and go for the day to have a picnic. I can just sit out there for hours gazing at the ocean. We love to walk all the way to the end and I collect sea glass We see so many interesting ships and critters way out in the deep ocean through the binoculars.

The only bad thing is that the water is ice cold and it is a very dangerous place to swim even if the water was warm.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Oct-March = 6 months

Not sure where you are getting 4 months are too cold and rainy. Texas is known for it's mild winters.

From October to March, Galveston receives, on average, 20 inches of rain.

From December to March, the average high is in the low-upper 60s -- quite similar to temps that are deemed too cold in California by Texans -- with a lot of rain, mind you.

The lows during this period average in the 40s.

Average Weather for Galveston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

And yes, farm runoff is a factor in the pollution of Galveston Bay and the upper Texas coast. It doesn't make it any less brown and disgusting--especially in summer when the diarrhea surf nears body temperature, for the ultimate in making it seem as if the bay is fed by a sewer line. It is little comfort that "farm runoff" is livestock feces, fertilizer and pesticides that are as bad or worse than the industrial pollution from the refineries and petrochemical plants that line miles of shoreline in that area.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:09 AM

I see you don't interpret data very well.

Let's use your link as the example.

The average daytime temperature from Nov to March is as such:

2,3 and 4 inches of rain per month is not a lot of rain especially when it can rain up to an inch with one rain storm. It does not rain a lot in Houston but when it does it's usually heavy rainfall in a short amount of time.

Oct 71 degrees with an average of 4 inches of rain
Nov 64 degrees with an average of 3.4 inches of rain
Dec 61 degrees with an average of 3.3 inches of rain
Jan 61 degrees with an average of 3.7 inches of rain
Feb 63 degrees with an average of 3 inches of rain
March 69 degrees with an average of 2.8 inches of rain
April 75 degrees with an average of 2.2 inches of rain

Most people enjoy these temps. BTW since I added April that now makes 7 months of perfect weather.

I know you claim that you lived there but you don't appear to know the weather very well.

I lived there for 45 years and I am certain about the weather there. It is gorgeous weather from Oct thru April. No one is complaining about the weather in Houston between Oct and April.

Last edited by TVC15; 10-20-2013 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: Added Rain Fall

Old 10-20-2013, 01:08 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I see you don't interpret data very well.

Let's use your link as the example.

The average daytime temperature from Nov to March is as such:

3 and 4 inches of rain per month is not a lot of rain especially when it can rain up to an inch with one rain storm. It does not rain a lot in Houston but when it does it's usually heavy rainfall in a short amount of time.

Oct 71 degrees with an average of 4 inches of rain
Nov 64 degrees with an average of 3.4 inches of rain
Dec 61 degrees with an average of 3.3 inches of rain
Jan 61 degrees with an average of 3.7 inches of rain
Feb 63 degrees with an average of 3 inches of rain
March 69 degrees with an average of 2.8 inches of rain
April 75 degrees with an average of 2.2 inches of rain

Most people enjoy these temps. BTW since I added April that now makes 7 months of perfect weather.

I know you claim that you lived there but you don't appear to know the weather very well.

I lived there for 45 years and I am certain about the weather there. It is gorgeous weather from Oct thru April. No one is complaining about the weather in Houston between Oct and April.
We were not talking about Houston. We were talking about beach weather.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
We were not talking about Houston. We were talking about beach weather.
I was just about to add no one is complaining about the weather in Galveston between Oct and April.

It is certainly beach weather. You will find lots of activity there during those months.

Are you sure you lived in Houston or even TX for that matter?

Looks like another nice week in weather for Galveston except for that one 40% chance of rain day.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...on+TX+USTX0499
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California