Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 AM

51 posts, read 81,451 times

Advertisements

hey guys, I'm currently in good ol upstate ny (where we have the four seasons within a week!bleh!)

Im looking to move out to cali early summer. I would like to get input of which area would best fit me (ive never been out west)

I wish to find an apartment to share with some college kids, where i could bike most places! I also defiantly desire beauty such as hiking trails, nice parks, amazing landscapes and CLOSE TO THE BEACH Nice nitelife a plus as well

An area with descent jobs is also on my list. I have quite a bit of money saved and so on so im not to worried about finding a job as soon as i get there. I will be completing my associates degree in liberal arts (dont hate)
(I am also looking into park ranger internships/careers)

ive read countless threads about the type of areas, and san diego sounds like a nice place and expensive. However for some reason, San Luis Obispo calls my name. Seems like a nice place to start off.

appreciate it guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM

38 posts, read 106,231 times
I like San Luis Obisbo. Depends on what you are into actually. It's best to base your move based on the school you wish to attend because that is most likely where most of your support will come from.

Look into cityyear or americorps. Those programs are flexible, dependable and cater to your school program.

Also the NOYCE project might be for you if you plan on being a teacher Private message me if you want more info. Good Luck hun!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
I hear there are a lot of kidnappings in Cali, Columbia so if you're moving to Cali I would suggest hiring a body guard.

BTW no one in California calls the state "Cali". Well, no one but out of staters.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post

BTW no one in California calls the state "Cali". Well, no one but out of staters.

That's not true at all. This point has come up in many, many threads here in the Ca. forum and every time native Ca. residents admit to using the term Cali. I know native born Californians who use it. It's become part of the popular American lexicon.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 PM

38 posts, read 106,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I hear there are a lot of kidnappings in Cali, Columbia so if you're moving to Cali I would suggest hiring a body guard.

Young people use "Cali" frequently.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
That's not true at all. This point has come up in many, many threads here in the Ca. forum and every time native Ca. residents admit to using the term Cali. I know native born Californians who use it. It's become part of the popular American lexicon.
No, no one does.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 AM

246 posts, read 421,922 times
Only wannabe posers use "Cali" as a way to try and sound trendy, young, and hip. The truth is, when you are trying to sound that way, often you only look uneducated, silly, and desperate.

Just because your 14 y/o saw some has been rapper using the word three years ago does not make it right, let alone cool.

Worse, using the word "Cali" has only really caught on with posers desperately trying to follow a trend that has already come and gone. By the time a mom who just came out of the theater watching Justin Beiber "Never say Never" thinks something is cool, it isn't.

Poser: "hey whatz up, i'm movin to Cali"
Californian: Ummm, you know, we don't really use that word here, that was cool like 3 years ago and for about 10 minutes."
Poser: "What? You be trippin' I know that's all like what I heard it called"
Californian: "Well, when white wannabe hipsters use dated language, it just makes them look desperate and pathetic"
Poser: "No way homie, Cali totally da bomb"
Californian: "Like I said, when white wannabe hipsters use out of style words like that, everyone just laughs at them."
Poser: "No way, some middle aged mom on CD just totally upped my rep and told me like it was what everyone was doin', just ask her teenage kids"
Californian: "I rest my case"

Old 03-21-2011, 06:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
An area with descent jobs is also on my list. I have quite a bit of money saved
How much is "quite a bit"?

What's a "decent job?

What pay would you expect?

What housing budget do you think you'll have?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
hey guys, I'm currently in good ol upstate ny (where we have the four seasons within a week!bleh!)

Im looking to move out to cali early summer. I would like to get input of which area would best fit me (ive never been out west)

I wish to find an apartment to share with some college kids, where i could bike most places! I also defiantly desire beauty such as hiking trails, nice parks, amazing landscapes and CLOSE TO THE BEACH Nice nitelife a plus as well

An area with descent jobs is also on my list. I have quite a bit of money saved and so on so im not to worried about finding a job as soon as i get there. I will be completing my associates degree in liberal arts (dont hate)
(I am also looking into park ranger internships/careers)

ive read countless threads about the type of areas, and san diego sounds like a nice place and expensive. However for some reason, San Luis Obispo calls my name. Seems like a nice place to start off.

appreciate it guys
Are you going to bring your car? If so, San Diego would be your best bet. It's actually cheaper than San Francisco and Los Angeles. You will need a car, but depending on the neighborhood, you can bike to stores etc. The beach scene is the best in California in my opinion. Night life is also pretty good in the Gaslamp Quarter.

San Francisco is great if you want to leave your car behind. It has the better hiking and scenery than Los Angeles and San Diego. You can bike everywhere. You do have beach choices, but it's usually too cold to sun tan, unless you drive to Stinson Beach. Night life is better than San Diego, but not as good as Los Angeles.

SLO has beautiful scenery and great hiking opportunities. Pismo Beach is nearby, but it's not really a sun tan and surf kind of beach. I go there for ATV riding on the beach dunes. If night life is important to you, you might get bored in SLO being 21 years old. SLO is too small for me to live there, it'd be a nice area to retire, but not to live in your 20's, that's just me though, I like to be in the action. I'd also be worried about finding a high paying job there with no experience.

Good luck!

...about the "Cali" debate, I used to go to USF and most locals said Cali...I never picked up that name until college...it's a generation thing, not just an out-of-state thing.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM

246 posts, read 421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

...about the "Cali" debate, I used to go to USF and most locals said Cali...I never picked up that name until college...it's a generation thing, not just an out-of-state thing.
Used to go to USF, you're right, it was sort of faddish a couple of years ago, but the Alphas have moved on and the Betas and Omegas are using lingo that has become a bit tired and desperate, hoping for a shadow of the cool of the Alphas

Da bomb was really in at one time too, its still used in Southwest Arkansas I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California