Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you support the tax measures this fall?
Yes 19 27.14%
No 51 72.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:28 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
There are studies out there that indicate having successful and educated parents has as much to do with school performance as anything. It reminds me of a common football argument. Does a good QB make his receivers or vice versa? Do affluent areas tend to have good schools because they really are that much better (spend money wisely, hire better teachers), or because the parents are just more educated and successful? Ditto for private schools. I know one elementary school teacher who swears by this. She taught in an affluent planned community in Orlando. She couldn't say enough about how good the kids were, how easy they made her job. And then the housing bubble grew. People were buying homes left and right and renting them out. Over a few years she went from having a dream teaching job to a completely average teaching job. The kids were no longer such a pleasure to teach.

I grew up dirt poor and hate to think there is any truth to this. I think there is though.
It's a socioeconomic issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I'm not endorsing at throwing money at the problem. I'm endorsing fiscal responsibility and more efficient use of the taxpayer's money. A lot of the blame is being placed on teachers who have nothing to defend themselves against superintendents and administrative officials who make salaries in six figures. They are the ones who have to put up with parents who may refuse to take any responsible role in their children's education (and they may happen to be taxpayers who want a lot for almost nothing).

When did teachers become parents of every single student in the classroom and when did they become the enemy?

Nobody wants an inefficient government.
Agree with you there.. Nothing to be argued. However, many problem exists and there are effective ways of resolving them.. Least of all the approaches that have been taken

Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Californians never ever vote for tax increases, especially in a crappy economy. I'll vote for it but only because there's no optional vote to gut prison spending or reform pensions or reform prop 13.
The three things that need to be done to improve California and put it on sounder financial footing are sadly politically impossible.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
It's a socioeconomic issue.
Agreed and is a whole can of worms in and of itself. Meanwhile, as you agreed, it serves no purpose throwing excessive amounts of money at the education system ... However, its exactly what people who stood to gain the most from it (public school workers and govt.).. 500 idiotic programs to 'get kids more educated' later and nothing has changed (go figure).

Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Someone want to send this unofficial C-D poll to Brownie. Most of whom probably voted for him.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
it serves no purpose throwing excessive amounts of money at the education system.
Where do you get the idea that anyone is throwing excessive amounts of money at it? Nationally, California ranks something like 43rd in per student spending.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I hope none of you have kids planning on going to public universities.
Can you believe that the UC regents are considering a 6% tuition hike? It's appalling to see what's happened to the affordability of higher education in California.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Numbers don't tell the whole story. I could summarize everything I've seen in the classroom at the elementary level and based in input that I've received from elementary school teachers -- and it wouldn't make sense to the public. What's on paper and what really goes on in the classroom is like night and day.

I know our state has a lot of spending problem and I've been one of the harshest critics on this board, but I don't let politics get in the way of facts. If anyone wants to be absolute certain when making a statement about an issue such as public school education, then I suggest spending a day or two in a public school and observing what the teachers have to put up with.
You kind of made my point... it is the public school system that creates the environment...

My Father left teaching because he felt kids should come before politics.

My brother and his family were energetic supporters of their local public school in the Mt Diablo School District in Pleasant Hill CA... he and his wife served on numerous committees, classroom help... and mundane things like yard duty.

They were disenfranchised when the district wouldn't let the Landscape Committee Landscape because only union district employees and do that...

Thousands of dollars of donations in plants, irrigation and even the water to revive the ball field from local licensed contractors and stores was turned down... the only thing the committee was supposed to do was raise money.

I was shocked when they jointly pulled their kids and sent them to the local private school... they said educating their children is something you don't get a second chance at...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-18-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
While I am not voting for either of the taxes measures the answer to your question is selection.

Private schools don't have to take everyone. Furthermore, it is much easier for them to expel unruly students compared to public schools. Heck, some private schools require an entrance exam which will obviously select out less able students and perhaps even learning disabled students.

As for home-schooling that is basically one to one tutoring. If the parent is intelligent and well-prepared it is not a big surprise that a child would be a top achiever.
Valid to a point...

As stated I live in Oakland CA... the local Catholic school in the Fruitvale District (Almost all ESL) is proud in that no student is turned away for lack of funds... they really do take everyone that wants to be there and the over crowded classrooms are proof... some almost double the class size of the public schools.

It is true that trouble makers are not tolerated... but, this is also true in public schools because trouble makers are often sent to special schools. Isn't keeping troublemakers in normal schools a dis-service to other students and part of the problem in many public schools... which is lack of discipline?

As to home schooling... I think parental dedication and involvement is more then half the battle... I doubt I could do it... but, was surprised to know many that do and some in very affluent Bay Area Districts.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:37 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You kind of made my point... it is the public school system that creates the environment...

My Father left teaching because he felt kids should come before politics.

My brother and his family were energetic supporters of their local public school in the Mt Diablo School District in Pleasant Hill CA... he and his wife served on numerous committees, classroom help... and mundane things like yard duty.

They were disenfranchised when the district wouldn't let the Landscape Committee Landscape because only union district employees and do that...

Thousands of dollars of donations in plants, irrigation and even the water to revive the ball field from local licensed contractors and stores was turned down... the only thing the committee was supposed to do was raise money.

I was shocked when they jointly pulled their kids and sent them to the local private school... they said educating their children is something you don't get a second chance at...
I get the entire point you are trying to make.

I know there are bad public schools that can create disastrous environment for academic learning, but there are also good public schools that foster healthy environment for learning. I just don't think the right approach is to lump all public school districts into one category.

There's a lot of politics from both sides that are preventing us from tackling the real issues and presenting solutions. I don't give a damn about either political party; I give a damn about people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California