Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:27 PM

19 posts, read 39,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Five Guys = YAAAAAAWN
LOL Five Guys was my first job here in Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:27 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I was actually really happy when I heard a five guys was opening near my house as on paper it sounded great. Fresh never frozen, made to order, etc... To bad they way over cook the burgers (beyond well done) and use run of the mill factory meat especially since they charge $10-$12 for a burger and fries. It was kind of a let down after hearing such good word of mouth. Now, NoVa has a heck of a lot going for it with some amazing restaurants in NoVa and DC but I just have a hard time getting excited about 5 guys as the burgers are so dry and I dislike how they try to smoother the thing in mayo to cover up how dry their burger patties are.

Now if they brought a BGR: The Burger Joint out here or a Big Buns Gourmet Grill... Well, then we'd be talking!
The Five Guys near me always cooks the burgers well done and juicy. They bumped up their prices recently, but they give you way too many fries, even for a small. They use 80/20 beef, maybe down here sourced from Florida Beef, I don't know for sure?

I like this Five Guys vs In-N-Out Burger review:

Finally! West "meats" East in Dallas: In-N-Out vs. Five Guys!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Everyone complains about In-N-Out fries - they're fresh cut right before landing in the fryer. Ask for them "well done" and the soft, mealy texture is taken care of. As far as the original topic - my first job out of college was in Des Moines, Iowa. Folks in the Midwest have no problems with Californians moving there. They're kind of a rare sight and the most asked question from them is "Why the hell did you leave California for Iowa?!?". Definitely none of the Western states attitude towards California transplants!

Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Unlike the PNW or Mountain states Californians always feel that anyone has a right to move here from other parts of the country. Its what grew this state since its inception and is accepted without a thought. I've never, ever seen a native Californian being snotty, condescending or rude to an out of state person who moved here (for nothing other than that reason). It really burns me to hear stories about people in other parts of the West (particularly Oregon and Washington) doing it to Californians. There have been God knows how many people from there moved to California over the decades any no one would treat them that way.
Nobody has ever said anything in the Bay Area, but it was actually pretty common when I was living in San Diego. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I was barely 21 when I moved there, but a lot of the natives were pretty vocal about disliking transplants...

Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Depends

If you're a NYer, people who typically try to make every place they move to into NY, the response is not so good. Complaints about what here is not like NY, or what is better in NY, or acting like NY is better, and so forth. Gets pretty annoying. Don't bring NY here.

Racists are not well received here. You like worshiping the Confederacy or flying the Confederate flag? Only in the most backwards, ignorant, and remote segments of CA will you be tolerated.

Of course, I'm not a native. I've only lived here for the last 23 years.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I was actually really happy when I heard a five guys was opening near my house as on paper it sounded great. Fresh never frozen, made to order, etc... To bad they way over cook the burgers (beyond well done) and use run of the mill factory meat especially since they charge $10-$12 for a burger and fries. It was kind of a let down after hearing such good word of mouth. Now, NoVa has a heck of a lot going for it with some amazing restaurants in NoVa and DC but I just have a hard time getting excited about 5 guys as the burgers are so dry and I dislike how they try to smoother the thing in mayo to cover up how dry their burger patties are.

Now if they brought a BGR: The Burger Joint out here or a Big Buns Gourmet Grill... Well, then we'd be talking!
They make up for it with the soggy, greasy fries.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:35 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Nobody has ever said anything in the Bay Area, but it was actually pretty common when I was living in San Diego. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I was barely 21 when I moved there, but a lot of the natives were pretty vocal about disliking transplants...
Had to be the age group at the time. I've never noticed anyone giving a hoot about where you originally came from. And I never lost my thick Northeast accent. I can't speak without people knowing I'm not a native. Never encountered anything that could be remotely construed as someone thinking differently of me. They think I talk funny, and that's about it.

But I could see people that young being that way. At that age many people are provincial and believe the world revolves around their town, city, or state.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,328 times
My husband and I are both native to San Diego (in our 50's) and people are shocked to meet two natives. Most of the people we know are from elsewhere. We are the rare ones that were born here and never left. We are used to being asked "Where are you from" and the shock we get "Wow I have never met two natives!" We enjoy meeting people from all over the U.S. and World it seems very normal to us, we indeed are the odd ones.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
I don't feel much about them, except I've come to expect it. I remember reading that LA has even more foreign-born and out of state transplants than even NYC. Especially DTLA and West LA seems to be 80% people who moved from somewhere else. SMC has Middle Easterns and East Asians! DTLA has a lot of Hispanics and Asians now!

I do think it's interesting how some of them bring their views and ideas here. Their ways of life, like driving or eating, usually don't conform to the diverse packed LA ways. I've met people from small towns in the midwest and it's just... sad... but hey, not everyone can be born and raised here.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Everyone complains about In-N-Out fries - they're fresh cut right before landing in the fryer. Ask for them "well done" and the soft, mealy texture is taken care of. As far as the original topic - my first job out of college was in Des Moines, Iowa. Folks in the Midwest have no problems with Californians moving there. They're kind of a rare sight and the most asked question from them is "Why the hell did you leave California for Iowa?!?". Definitely none of the Western states attitude towards California transplants!
Yeah, knowing how to order correctly so you get exactly what you want is key when going to In 'N Out. There regular fries are a little soft for me as I like them a bit crisp so I get "fries well plus" which is a few seconds more then fries well done but not as much as fries very well done (very well just gets burned).

Here's a primer for their secret menu and the super secret menu, it really does help to know how to order so you can get exactly what you want: The Ultimate In-N-Out Secret Menu (and Super Secret Menu!) Survival Guide | A Hamburger Today

I'm a little piggy so I usually order a 3x3, mustard grilled, chopped chilis, whole grilled onions (instead of chopped onions), added ketchup, regular spread (basically thousand island), pickles, sliced tomato, fries well plus animal style, and a root beer float. I don't go often but when I do I like to do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California