Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,738 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Bakersfield and we are considering moving. I know very little about California. We have 3 small children and I am at a loss as far as the schools go. I am finding little help with locating a preschool and information regarding a good elementary school. The school board is only allowed to tell you that "all of thier schools have a lot to offer the students". Also I found an article online that talked about the high price of preschools in California. Are they really $3,000 a year? (We are looking into the Southwest side) We come from a smaller community with little traffic and a change in seasons. I notice that the summer weather is extremely hot out there. I also have concerns about the crime. I am originally from South Florida so I am not a stranger to living in a large city, it has just been awhile. Basically I am wondering if Bakersfield has a lot to offer a family with 3 small children? We enjoy outdoor activities and like to keep busy. I have numerous questions and any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 07:10 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
I don't know much about Bakersfield - but here in Long Beach, my co-worker pays $500/month for her 3 year old. $3000/year doesn't sound all that expensive.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:41 AM

26 posts, read 87,922 times
Hi

Well, here is my experience with Bakersfield. We moved here from Santa Monica about a year ago. My hubby (who grew up in the Brentwood section of Los Angeles) got a great job here. I have a preschooler and a 6 month old. My preschooler attends the public preschool here called Richardson Child Development Center, and we like it very much. She even takes the bus to school (something I would be very leery of down in LA) Every morning the bus driver says “Good Morning” to me and knows my name. Again, something unheard of down in LA. We are also a very outdoorsy/athletic family, and we used to rollerblade and ride bikes on the beach path when we lived in Santa Monica. There is a wonderful park here with a bike path and we go to on the weekends. Yes, Santa Monica to Bakersfield was a shock, and there are things I do miss about Santa Monica, but Bakersfield is growing on me! The people are so friendly, and I think that is starting to outweigh “The Beach/Fancy Restaurants/Movie Stars/Etc.” to me. I like Bakersfield, and do enjoy raising my kids here.

Now, my little girl is starting to tell me that she “wants to be an actress” when she grows up. Back to LA I guess…what can you do? LOL!

Old 10-20-2007, 03:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Given a choice between Bakersfield and Los Angeles, I would say that I prefer Bakersfield as a location for raising a family. It's not without its problems, but, to me, they are not nearly as bad as those in the L.A. area.

The biggest problem Bakersfield has is the air quality. It is known to be among the worst in the state. There are also problem areas with crime and gangs, primarily in the southeast part of town. Some people talk about the summer heat, but to me, it's about the same as the San Fernando Valley, where I grew up, so it's not much of an issue. The winter fog is more of a problem, if you ask me, since it can sometimes (though rarely) last for several weeks at a time.

Like the previous post, Bakersfield has grown on me. I agree that the people are friendly, and I enjoy spending time there. For those that are into outdoor activities, there is a lot to enjoy in the surrounding areas. I live in the mountains south of Bakersfield, where we have good areas for hunting, hiking, four wheeling, motorcycle riding, camping, and so on. There are also a number of lakes and streams nearby for fishing. The Kern River east of Bakersfield offers River Rafting during the summer season, as well as more opportunity for fishing.

As for schools, I can't really give much information, but $3000/year sounds about right for preschool, from what I remember paying where I am. It depends on how long the children stay there. If it's 9 A.M. to Noon, then it's obviously going to be cheaper than 7 A.M. to 5 P.M.

Personally, I would recommend Bakersfield for raising a family, but there certainly will be others that would tell you otherwise. You'll have to weigh the positives and negatives for yourself and make up you mind based on your preferences.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:07 PM

210 posts, read 744,888 times
Thumbs down Dont do it!!!!

My personal opinion, stay were you are at, keep away from this armpit they call California.. this is no place to raise children.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Have you been out there to visit? I strongly would suggest that before committing to move there. You get extreme high temps in the summer and unlike FL it's a dry heat. Winter you get fog, smog and inversion layers.

I used to live north of Bakersfield and I've been through Indiana many times and I'd stay in Indiana so long as you're not in Gary

Old 10-21-2007, 02:40 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Hi there,I live near Bakersfield and it's honestly not that bad.

Bakersfield is not a Dangerous City,even though certain parts such as in the Southeast tends to have a higher crime rate,but overall most of Bakersfield is Safe.

The Southwest Area you mentioned is Nice,New and Safe,but I honestly don't know much about the Schools or the Cost.

Summers in Bakersfield is Clear and Hot,but it's tolerable because of the Low Humidity and we occasionally get relief when cooler marine air flows in from the Pacific to moderate the Summer Temps a bit.

Winters can be Foggy and Chilly with some Rain,but will be mild compared to Winters in Indiana.

if you enjoy Outdoor Activities,then you'll definately enjoy living here...Bakersfield isn't too far from the Mountains,Deserts,Beaches,Lakes,Rivers...L.A is also just 2 1/2 hours away in case you want a Greater Variety of Things to See and Do.

Here's some interesting info about Bakersfield and Kern County

Official Municipal Website, City of Bakersfield, California

Discover Kern County: Home

craigslist: bakersfield classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli292 View Post
My husband has been offered a job in Bakersfield and we are considering moving. I know very little about California. We have 3 small children and I am at a loss as far as the schools go. I am finding little help with locating a preschool and information regarding a good elementary school. The school board is only allowed to tell you that "all of thier schools have a lot to offer the students". Also I found an article online that talked about the high price of preschools in California. Are they really $3,000 a year? (We are looking into the Southwest side) We come from a smaller community with little traffic and a change in seasons. I notice that the summer weather is extremely hot out there. I also have concerns about the crime. I am originally from South Florida so I am not a stranger to living in a large city, it has just been awhile. Basically I am wondering if Bakersfield has a lot to offer a family with 3 small children? We enjoy outdoor activities and like to keep busy. I have numerous questions and any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:25 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
years ago i worked with two guy's who had moved here from Indiana to work in a refinery, they both liked it here, later they transfered back to Indiana but now quit that company and came back to live in Bakersfield, they both had families and young children. Both of them and their families like Bakersfield.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:21 PM

152 posts, read 878,321 times
It really depends on what kind of person you are (i.e. hobbies,education level, interests, etc.) It seems like certain types of people really like Bakersfield, just as certain types of people really like San Francisco. These two types are usually polar opposites by the way. You'll figure out what I'm talking about after spending some time there.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
It really depends on what kind of person you are (i.e. hobbies,education level, interests, etc.) It seems like certain types of people really like Bakersfield, just as certain types of people really like San Francisco. These two types are usually polar opposites by the way. You'll figure out what I'm talking about after spending some time there.
Amen and thank God for that, the last time i was in San Fran. there was a bum at every traffic light bumming money and way to many druggies. What a trash hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California