Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It amazes me how many are still to lazy to sort recyclables. Much the less try to get their CRV deposit back.
I don't worry about crv, it is how I give back to the less fortunat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 03:01 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It amazes me how many are still to lazy to sort recyclables. Much the less try to get their CRV deposit back.
We used to have three different little bins until a few years ago when Greenwaste switched to one big blue one for all recyclables, and one big green one for yard trimmings. Makes it easier for them since they don't have to get out of their trucks for collection, instead using the big clamping arm thing to grab and dump receptacles. So now we use the old bins for separating what we want to take to the recycle place for $$ and what we want to have picked up in front of the house.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Another great topic.
There's a new documentary up for an Oscar. It's about people who survive by recycling cans and bottles. The title is, wait for it --- "Redemption". Perfect. The film isn't made in California but it could be here just as well. Fontucky could be a star.
Lives of 'Canners' Come Up for Oscar Moment - WSJ.com

Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Another great topic.
There's a new documentary up for an Oscar. It's about people who survive by recycling cans and bottles. The title is, wait for it --- "Redemption". Perfect. The film isn't made in California but it could be here just as well. Fontucky could be a star.
Lives of 'Canners' Come Up for Oscar Moment - WSJ.com
I've never asked but I think the guy I let collect my plastics survives by recycling and SSI. He gets some oranges from me also.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:33 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Now thing is: to keep this thread here in the California forum we have to relate our recycling / Zero Waste thoughts and comments to, well, California ...MOD CUT... but point is to note things like -- well, I live in Hawaii part of the year and the people of Hawaii, love em as I do anyway, are actually very trashy. Other than the groomed tourist areas, I have never seen a paradisical landscape so disregarded. California is doing better by far. No comparison. I am impressed. I wonder how much is simply the care of the citizens, and whether any real degree has to do with the focus on recycling keeping the trash off the landscape?

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-22-2013 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: mod comments

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM

I'm in Fresno and my guy who collects my plastics surely lives around here cause he's walking his route several times a week.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
That said above, it is also my hope that readers here will learn the difference between basic recycling and the actual Zero Waste concept. Zero Waste as a term was initially coined by a physicist in Oakland working with wastewater. That was in the 1970's ... and the term has since taken off into a global movement concerned not only with basic recycling, but how to build products that are constructed with reuse of parts and components in mind. It even extends to creating government policy to support the effort to create a totally sustainable civilization, rather than an intentionally wasteful one ... intentional waste was the driving force behind the birth of 20th century consumerism to build the new economy. Obviously, that is not sustainable.

So, anyway, California once again led the birth of a global movement -- this one toward sustainability. Cool huh? These are examples of the ways which California forces change. Certain people here love to complain about innovative regulations being "over-regulated" ... but this is how the world moves forward ... with California leading the way. You can't afford a better future for your next generations?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM

I promise I read your link. I was just helping topicality along for once by addressing CA.

Learned about it with the last thread also.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
So, anyway, California once again led the birth of a global movement -- this one toward sustainability. Cool huh? These are examples of the ways which California forces change. Certain people here love to complain about innovative regulations being "over-regulated" ... but this is how the world moves forward ... with California leading the way. You can't afford a better future for your next generations?
I am all for recycling and what not, but that statement is just silly. The world does not move with California environmental practices. What we are doing by not polluting does not mean much when you look at the pollution levels of China/India. This is more to make you feel good than actually fix anything.

I am not saying we shouldn't reduce waste, but to pretend we are saving the world for our grandchildren is reaching.

Just a little food for thought, the Laki volcano that exploded in 1783 in ice land caused change in weather so severe that ice was seen in gulf of Mexico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki

The recent eruption in Iceland in 2010 was thankfully not as severe, but this sort of event is what real climate damage looks like.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I am all for recycling and what not, but that statement is just silly. The world does not move with California environmental practices. What we are doing by not polluting does not mean much when you look at the pollution levels of China/India. This is more to make you feel good than actually fix anything.

I am not saying we shouldn't reduce waste, but to pretend we are saving the world for our grandchildren is reaching.

Just a little food for thought, the Laki volcano that exploded in 1783 in ice land caused change in weather so severe that ice was seen in gulf of Mexico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki

The recent eruption in Iceland in 2010 was thankfully not as severe, but this sort of event is what real climate damage looks like.
IMO it does "move" with California's leads... Maybe not the world...(They are generally way ahead) but the rest of backwards America does...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California