Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,725,988 times

Advertisements

None of them have been in this thread yet. That's kinda strange.

/paging OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,073,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
... think it's OK to wipe out upper middle class people with taxes. The fact they like it tells all you need to know.
Yeah, since when did engineers, researchers, technicians, and other white-collar professionals become people "with no ambition"?

We can't all be investment bankers you know. Somebody actually has to make the stuff, or run the systems that support the people who make the stuff.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:39 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,698,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If one counts food stamps as welfare, 15% of Americans are on that program. In some states, 23%.

15% of Americans Are on Food Stamps
But they aren't, they are an agricultural price support program administered by the Department of Agriculture.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,138,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm still wondering where the "high food" part comes in, as pertains only to Calif. I'm earnestly seeking clarification from the OP.

I dont think groceries and certainly produce is better and cheaper in CA. Ive noticed restaurant/fast food prices a bit higher there, kinda like gasoline.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,917,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Uhhh, you'd still pay state income tax in CA
It's a progressive state income tax system with even the highest rates being pretty low. If you make $30k per year you'd pay ~$450 BEFORE deductions and if you made $100k per year you'd pay ~$5500 BEFORE deductions are taken into account. Also the property tax rate will be about half that of most cities in Texas so you will save money there and you will spend about half as much on utilities each month because you hardly need to run your AC or heater. Lastly, your state income taxes are deductable from the Federal income taxes so you once again get back some money there.

There will still be a difference but even in the 100k salary range the difference simply won't be that large. I think some people are missing the forest for the trees especially since over all salaries tend to be higher in California than in Texas so you'll more than likely end up coming out ahead.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's a progressive state income tax system with even the highest rates being pretty low. If you make $30k per year you'd pay ~$450 BEFORE deductions and if you made $100k per year you'd pay ~$5500 BEFORE deductions are taken into account. Also the property tax rate will be about half that of most cities in Texas so you will save money there and you will spend about half as much on utilities each month because you hardly need to run your AC or heater. Lastly, your state income taxes are deductable from the Federal income taxes so you once again get back some money there.

There will still be a difference but even in the 100k salary range the difference simply won't be that large. I think some people are missing the forest for the trees especially since over all salaries tend to be higher in California than in Texas so you'll more than likely end up coming out ahead.

Property taxes are higher in Texas for sure, unless you buy in CA at todays prices and then its not far off. Even if the rate is half, the property values here make up for that so you dont pay more.

Utilities true, in the coastal regions, not true in the inland areas and deserts.

The real and honest difference, is YES it costs more to live in California. As we always say; supply & demand rules. Higher salaries do NOT make up for that cost, and the ones most hurt are those on the lower and moderate income side. Wealthy people dont care, theyre going to live in Newport Beach, Fresno , or Santa Barbara anyway!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,913,572 times
Quote:
Property taxes are higher in Texas for sure, unless you buy in CA at todays prices and then its not far off. Even if the rate is half, the property values here make up for that so you dont pay more.

Utilities true, in the coastal regions, not true in the inland areas and deserts.

The real and honest difference, is YES it costs more to live in California. As we always say; supply & demand rules. Higher salaries do NOT make up for that cost, and the ones most hurt are those on the lower and moderate income side. Wealthy people dont care, theyre going to live in Newport Beach, Fresno , or Santa Barbara anyway!
Right. And my favorite example, personally, is one often cited here by people "fleeing" the state:
the cost of gasoline.
Here is a frightening breakdown:
average annual miles driven by individuals: 14,000
average mpg: 20
number of gallons of gas used = 700
average difference cost per gallon between California and other states: $0.40
$0.40 x 700 gallons = $280 more per year to drive in California

Now if that frightening revelation isn't enough to justify spending tens of thousands of dollars uprooting yourself and family and send you running for Montana or Texas or N. Dakota or Tennessee -- well you are a man/woman with ice in your veins.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Right. And my favorite example, personally, is one often cited here by people "fleeing" the state:
the cost of gasoline.
Here is a frightening breakdown:
average annual miles driven by individuals: 14,000
average mpg: 20
number of gallons of gas used = 700
average difference cost per gallon between California and other states: $0.40
$0.40 x 700 gallons = $280 more per year to drive in California

Now if that frightening revelation isn't enough to justify spending tens of thousands of dollars uprooting yourself and family and send you running for Montana or Texas or N. Dakota or Tennessee -- well you are a man/woman with ice in your veins.

I dont disagree. I drive lots of miles and it would cost probably $50/month more in CA for gas then here. Its the combination of costs that make it more expensive.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,985,158 times
Quote:
Ive noticed restaurant/fast food prices a bit higher there, kinda like gasoline.
I can still get a 4-egg pastrami and cheddar omelet with hash browns, homemade pico de gallo and red chile, and a piece of French toast for $7.95 at the diner down the street, so I'm satisfied. I won't EVEN go into how cheap the Mexican food is around here.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,725,988 times
Wait a sec, Slo. Gotta get that intro in.

Now pinchhitting for OT, we have Slo. Slugging a magnificent 1.318, and batting righty. Formerly with CA since traded to TX in a multi-player 2 for 1 deal.

(It's almost baseball season, yay)

Baseball "Take Me Out to The Ball Game" (1908) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California