Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
For starters California is only third among other states in per-capita spending on welfare. And for another, Cali benefits are actually pretty stingy by comparison to most these days.
So we're #3 on a per-capita basis instead of #1. That's a very weak argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,700,067 times
Hey Fon, another one. They cherry pick what they want to consider. Keeping it simple is my motto.

As simple as I can make it, the day of the year that all one's taxes are paid for the year, of course this is an abstract calculation and may not be as simple to some as it is to others, but lets give it a try.
Tax Freedom day for California this year of our Lord 2013, California, April 20
South Dakota April 4
and dear dear Texas April 11.

Lets work out that South Dakota famous for mountains and beaches, right? 16 days sooner than California, expressed as a fraction 16/365, lets reduce that puppy to the lowest common denominator. Check my math... There appears to be a whole 1/23 difference.

Now, consider that, you go into your local mukluk store to buy a pair of mukluks. They have two mukluk models on sale, but one is 1/23 cheaper than the other.

Really, do you see that as much difference? Me either.

You can take that whopping difference and buy a plane ticket to a nice state, oh wait, no you can't, but you could play the slots in Deadwood with that difference, the nickel slots.

Look, ya'll can't cherry pick your taxes, you gotta take them as they come.

Now, you folks that live in states with no income tax are really stuck. But, in states like The Great State of California, a little clever accounting can take your income tax to zero, so really, smart folk in CA are likely to pay less tax than South Dakotans. And, our roads are paved

Quote:
you get the added bonus of restrictions on individual rights too
A joke right?

This statement illustrates my long made point that only the modern conservative complains about CA.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont disagree. I drive lots of miles and it would cost probably $50/month more in CA for gas then here. Its the combination of costs that make it more expensive.
Exactly. It's not any one thing...it's when you add them all up, it adds up to a lot. But the higher taxes and higher costs of gas and consumer goods would be tolerable if rents and home prices were lower.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Exactly. It's not any one thing...it's when you add them all up, it adds up to a lot. But the higher taxes and higher costs of gas and consumer goods would be tolerable if rents and home prices were lower.
You understand econ 101, right? High demand, High price, low demand, Texas.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You understand econ 101, right? High demand, High price, low demand, Texas.
Much of what is built into housing costs is from regulations and red tape on land use that most other states don't have. Yes, I know. I know. You are a selfish NIMBY who has what you want and you really don't care if other people of modest means can't afford to live here...so no need to reply further.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Just what I was thinking, another with the comparisons from the middle of the country. (dare I say flyover country... ooops, I just did) I had a non-blood uncle from SD, a huge, strapping Nordic farm boy whose main hobby in life was getting drunk on Friday and Saturday nights, then fighting all the other drunken SDak males he could find.

I bet he like other Nordic types never go to Pine Ridge and start fights with the Locals there!

Quote:
I came to South Dakota from MA almost 40 years ago, and yes, there's an undercurrent of racism here that's never subsided. They don't like the Native American population at all. Almost anyone not born here is never accepted by the white-haired Old Guard. I purposely never lost my Boston accent just to **** off some of the population myself, and it still works. Some love it, others hate it. There's no middle ground. It used to bother me when I first arrived here, but I couldn't care less anymore. When I see them getting annoyed, I laugh, which makes them even madder. If you come here from somewhere else and be a Democrat to boot, be prepared to get some really cold shoulders from some of the native hicks here.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,915,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont disagree. I drive lots of miles and it would cost probably $50/month more in CA for gas then here. Its the combination of costs that make it more expensive.
Quote:
Just a dang blad minute here ... higher costs of gas we just covered: about $200 - $300 a year ... now what other "consumer goods" are higher as you claim? Bicycles? Shoes? Groceries? Worshing machines and dryers? Tee-Vee's? Frigiminators to keep the beer cold? Jockey shorts?

Nope? Well, what then?

Oh the higher taxes just won't die either ... except they are hardly higher when averaged out. $1001 IS higher than $1000, 'tis true. So you get to holler and jump around that taxes are higher in California. True. But how much more will the typical resident pay out of pocket? A few hundred? A thousand? Or maybe $50? And the salaries that contribute to that equation? Better or worse than oh, say South Dakota?

Nope. Add 'em all up and it's spit in the wind difference for what you get in return.

Comes down to real estate. And that comes down to what you desire in what area. If you are dead set on a McMansion in LaJolla, well, you are in the same boat with 7 billion people on earth who can't afford to live on the French Riviera either.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,112,010 times
Quote:
Much of what is built into housing costs is from regulations and red tape on land use that most other states don't have.
California has some regulations that increase housing costs, but they by no means explain most of the price differences.

Real estate becomes rather expensive in urbanized areas, it happens in every city and every culture that allows private land ownership. Perhaps your problem is with capitalism?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,139,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Just a dang blad minute here ... higher costs of gas we just covered: about $200 - $300 a year ... now what other "consumer goods" are higher as you claim? Bicycles? Shoes? Groceries? Worshing machines and dryers? Tee-Vee's? Frigiminators to keep the beer cold? Jockey shorts?

Nope? Well, what then?

Oh the higher taxes just won't die either ... except they are hardly higher when averaged out. $1001 IS higher than $1000, 'tis true. So you get to holler and jump around that taxes are higher in California. True. But how much more will the typical resident pay out of pocket? A few hundred? A thousand? Or maybe $50? And the salaries that contribute to that equation? Better or worse than oh, say South Dakota?

Nope. Add 'em all up and it's spit in the wind difference for what you get in return.

Comes down to real estate. And that comes down to what you desire in what area. If you are dead set on a McMansion in LaJolla, well, you are in the same boat with 7 billion people on earth who can't afford to live on the French Riviera either.
When you add up higher cost, taxes, and housing it's a big difference. Just is, I have nothing to gain here. I'm not here saying Texas is better, it's does have a much lower cost of living though. I don't understand the need to not acknowledge the obvious. You mentioned real estate, that is the biggest factor in the higher cost of living. If you are a dual income couple who are teachers and you live in San Jose vs San Antonio, there would be a huge difference in COL, now that doesn't translate proportionately to QOL which is a different conversation.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,650,273 times
[quote=Fontucky;28636804]I'm still wondering where the "high food" part comes in, as pertains only to Calif. I'm earnestly seeking clarification from the OP.[/quote]

I agree with you there.

I now live in Spokane, Wa and the food here is quite a bit more when compared to San Diego....where I move from.

Although rent is MUCH cheaper here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California