Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM

486 posts, read 1,256,555 times

Advertisements

First of all, people that get bothered when they hear "Cali" or "Frisco" need to get a life. As for my experiences, I can only tell you about big cities:

1 - Diverse, but not really a melting pot. For example, I lived in a certain area in one of the "BIG 3" cities, and in my particular community I could go almost a week without seeing a single black person. And the only Hispanic people I'd see were employees of the businesses I would patronize. The only people actually LIVING in the community were caucasian and Asian.
2 - Cost of living sucks.
3 - Ridiculous NIMBYism basically anywhere I go.
4 - Awesome weather, obviously
5- Pretty unfriendly people compared to the state I used to live in.
6 - Public transportation sucks and is overrated in each of the BIG 3 cities.
7 - Pretty tolerant and liberal
8 - Great food for a good price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,504,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
First of all, people that get bothered when they hear "Cali" or "Frisco" need to get a life.
Actually, most of us from or living in the places in question have lives, don't indulge in juvenile, lazy speak and have some respect for those places.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Actually, most of us from or living in the places in question have lives, don't indulge in juvenile, lazy speak and have some respect for those places.
I'd love to argue about this but judging by your username, what could I possibly say.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingvendetta View Post
I always wished I lived in the West Coast but have no idea what it will be like growing up. I still live at home in the suburbs and I HATE the suburbs. For me, it's miles of empty streets and their's been a lot of racism. Granted, I know that can happen anywhere, but I only feel comfortable in a diverse area.

I was wondering, can I get personal experiences from people living in or near the major cities in California? I have no idea what to expect if I ever go there. I'm told Californians are more friendly and more welcoming compare to where I am. You hear people going to Cali and refuse to ever leave.

So, tell me everything. Are the hills really that unbearable in San Francisco? I'll probably be the guy at the very bottom looking up saying "Son of a....."

I also don't like the idea of "driving everywhere". everybody is inside their cars and the streets are vacant with nobody walking. It's just wierd and creepy seeing nobody walking outside. Freaks me out.

I would like to visit all the cities in Cali but it would help if I can get an idea on what to expect.
San Francisco is really the only city you can live without a car easily in California. The hills are one of its best features because they give you beautiful views of the Bay Area. I wouldn't say people are more accepting of others without knowing where you are from. For example, most people don't mind if you are openly gay people here, but they will mind if you don't believe in global warming. Also, the boring suburban streets don't have literally crazy homeless people on every corner, some that will shout obscenities at you while you walk by. Overall, I love San Francisco and California in general. It's a beautiful place with lots to offer.

I've lived in many cities in my life, both urban and suburban. I think living in an urban city when you don't have children is a great experience. However, I plan to live in a suburban city when I plan to settle down. $500,000 will buy you a tiny one bedroom or studio condo in a decent part of San Francisco (not great part), where as $500,000 will buy you a beautiful home with a pool in the best part of most cities in the US. This is why I think San Francisco is great when you are young and don't have children.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
The hills of San Francisco are really horrible when one drives a stick shift, and doesn't have 3 feet for the 3 pedals.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
First of all, people that get bothered when they hear "Cali" or "Frisco" need to get a life. As for my experiences, I can only tell you about big cities:

1 - Diverse, but not really a melting pot. For example, I lived in a certain area in one of the "BIG 3" cities, and in my particular community I could go almost a week without seeing a single black person. And the only Hispanic people I'd see were employees of the businesses I would patronize. The only people actually LIVING in the community were caucasian and Asian.
HEY! (re: bolded) We have our traditions, please to respect them. You know, when in Rome...

What state did you used to live in that's friendlier than the Bay Area? Where did you live in CA, anyway?

Public transport is plenty good enough for me, in the Bay Area. Way better than in the NW. New York it's not, but....that's a good thing, all things considered.

The weather can't be beat. Unless you like 4 distinct seasons, including snow. I don't mind that, as long as it's not hot and humid all summer.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The hills of San Francisco are really horrible when one drives a stick shift, and doesn't have 3 feet for the 3 pedals.
Definitely an acquired skill! So is parking on the hills, so the car doesn't run away from you.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HEY! (re: bolded) We have our traditions, please to respect them. You know, when in Rome...

What state did you used to live in that's friendlier than the Bay Area? Where did you live in CA, anyway?

Public transport is plenty good enough for me, in the Bay Area. Way better than in the NW. New York it's not, but....that's a good thing, all things considered.

The weather can't be beat. Unless you like 4 distinct seasons, including snow. I don't mind that, as long as it's not hot and humid all summer.
I've been living in Cali, yes Cali, a long time. That's not a tradition, it's a preference, and a peculiar one at that. There are much better things to take offense about. But hey, to each their own.

I don't want to give out too much personal details, but I stand by what I said, the other state was friendlier. All 3 of the largest "metro areas" in Cali, I've lived in.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM

139 posts, read 300,832 times
Quote:

I'd agree with all of the above, but just add:
9 - Totally crowded
10 - There are many rural towns but you would be still be sacrificing alot to live there and for one con of big city living that is eliminated there will be 1 or 2 issues that take its place.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,419,764 times
My experience.

A wonderful middle class childhood and early adulthood, 1970s into the late 1990s.

From there?

Not so much ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California