Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times

Advertisements

I want to clarify something and I suspect I might be speaking for other natives. It’s not that I bristle at the use of “Cali”. But it does make me question the maturity of the speaker or their familiarity with the state. If you want to use it, knock yourself out. People wore Ed Hardy at some point.

Any other natives feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
HEY! (re: bolded) We have our traditions, please to respect them. You know, when in Rome...

What state did you used to live in that's friendlier than the Bay Area? Where did you live in CA, anyway?

Public transport is plenty good enough for me, in the Bay Area. Way better than in the NW. New York it's not, but....that's a good thing, all things considered.

The weather can't be beat. Unless you like 4 distinct seasons, including snow. I don't mind that, as long as it's not hot and humid all summer.
Traditions my butt... if someone gets upset from just a name, they need to pull that thing they bought in Castro out of their blank.

Don't worry to anyone who visits... you won't get yelled at if you call it Frisco. If you come across someone who does, you probably wouldn't want to interact with them anyways.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:32 PM

880 posts, read 1,416,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I want to clarify something and I suspect I might be speaking for other natives. It’s not that I bristle at the use of “Cali”. But it does make me question the maturity of the speaker or their familiarity with the state. If you want to use it, knock yourself out. People wore Ed Hardy at some point.

It doesn't bother me anymore than OC, Frisco, Diego, LA, The Valley, etc. I know what they mean.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
I'd love to argue about this but judging by your username, what could I possibly say.
Well, you could start with the fact that you don't really know what a true curmudgeon is.

As for the matter at hand, I was born in CA in the 40s and spent most of my life there including my last 30 working years. In the process I lived from San Diego to Sacramento and places in between. During my non-CA years I've live in eight other states coast-to-coast and three other countries, always returning when circumstances permitted.

I will be the first to admit that I found the late 40s through the first half of the 60s to be the best of times when I was there, the mid-60s through the 70s, when I was there, to be somewhat less charming and the 80s on until 2009 when I left for good to be the least satisfying but for occupationally. Some of my change perceptions had to do with family dynamics and societal issues but many also had to do with the many changes that occurred and continue to as the state constantly reinvents itself. The ability to do so, by the way, is one of its charms even if the changes aren't what one would prefer.

So my experience has been a mixed bag spanning almost seven decades, even if on-and-off. What I can say about California is that there is something there for almost everybody be it geologically, atmospherically, societally, occupationally, you name it. It's something almost no other state, if any, can claim, especially not in comparison. If you are open and seek it out, you and almost anyone else will be able to one day, honestly say, "Eureka!"

Old 05-21-2013, 05:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
It doesn't bother me anymore than OC, Frisco, Diego, LA, The Valley, etc. I know what they mean.
Again, it doesn't bother me. It just causes me to be more dismissive of the speaker.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM

211 posts, read 333,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
I'd agree with all of the above, but just add:
9 - Totally crowded
10 - There are many rural towns but you would be still be sacrificing alot to live there and for one con of big city living that is eliminated there will be 1 or 2 issues that take its place.
9 - Funny, more than half the state is uninhabited.
10 - In truth, one sacrifices a lot (two words) to live in a city. You can start with the ability to pee off your front porch.

Quote:
Again, it doesn't bother me. It just causes me to be more dismissive of the speaker.
10-4, Like a smoker, or someone with tattoo's, it is hard to give them much respect.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,601,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
San Francisco is really the only city you can live without a car easily in California. ....
I'd add Sacramento to that list. It had pretty decent public transportation when I lived there in the 80's.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:12 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Traditions my butt... if someone gets upset from just a name, they need to pull that thing they bought in Castro out of their blank.
lol! With language like that, it sounds like you're the only one getting upset.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I don't dismiss someone who says Cali or Frisco, but I have to keep myself from grinning. It's just not something a local would say, so it classifies the speaker as a non-native or a tourist.

Like when I lived in the Portland, OR area, and non-natives would pronounce Willamette (River, Valley, University) the wrong way. The obvious French way to say it is Will-uh-MET (with the accent on the last syllable. But, that's not how locals say it. Locals say Will-AH-mit. With the "ah" sound like in "back." Sounds really hick, but that's how it's said. If you say it like a Frenchmen, people will stifle their grins. I learned this the hard way when I moved there from the Bay Area and the locals giggled at me.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 05-22-2013 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: I started to digress and become redundant lol!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:

Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California