Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,423 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I may have the opportunity to move to Bakersfield, and I wanted to get the thoughts of people that are familiar with the area. We currently live in Oklahoma City, so concerns I have already seen online about the heat and the "rednecky" people do not bother us--I think these parts would be very similar to our current city. We have two small kids (under 3), so we are interested in school quality (we are open to public or private), things to do with children, and just general standard of living info. Also would like to know if there are any specific neighborhoods or areas of towns that are recommended to buy a house. Obviously, I would prefer to live on the beach or closer to the coast, but that is not an option because we would be moving for a job in Bakersfield, and I like that Bakersfield appears to be driving distance to the beach, mountains/skiing, etc. For some perspective, we both grew up in very small towns in states that get bad raps and we also lived in NYC for several years, so we have both lived in a wide range of sizes/types of cities. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM

121 posts, read 240,225 times
I will share my opinion on Bako for you. I moved there for work and was there for just over a year. It was a great work experience but ultimately I could not stay in Bakersfield any longer. This was mainly because I moved alone and commuted back to LA for family.

Bakersfield is not driving distance to any beach for a day trip. It would be a very long day. You are looking at 2.5 to 3 hour drives for LA beaches or central coast towns (SLO, etc.). People there do not travel to the beach on a regular basis, it is a planned full day or weekend trip due to distance.

I cannot comment on schools, but I will say that all transplants and wealthy people in town live on the West side of the city. The people over there seem decent.

There are 6 distinct areas in Bakersfield. These are purely my opinions based on working there in public safety.

-Downtown/Central - Businesses/homeless/crappy bars/fights/assaults.

-North - Oildale/Meth/Stabbings/Poor white people

-North East - Mixed older homes. Some awesome gated areas and a country club. Mostly low income minority neighborhoods with a high incidence of shootings.

-South East - Low income/high crime/etc.

-North West - Newer developments, nicer, high pop. of white/asian, most professionals live here or SW.

-South West - Similar to NW.

I made a map as to where I would look.

Safe Bako

There are obviously exceptions like the North East, but I think as a transplant it is easier to have one large area to look in.

I am happy to answer any questions you have that I can. I saw the whole county during night and day and responded to emergency calls so I feel I have a unique insight.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM

14 posts, read 58,632 times
I have lived here my entire life so I can pretty much answer anything you wish to know. That being said, you didn't really provide much info on what type of house/price range you are looking for. Older established neighborhood or newer? Where is the job located? Morning and evening commutes can be a pain in the area depending on what roads you need to use.The PP's breakdown on areas of town is pretty much spot on. There is very little to do here but you can do a day trip to the beach or mountains... it's not really close, but we usually make it to Ventura in about 1 hr 45 mins. Please feel free to message me if you have specific questions and I would be happy to help you.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM

895 posts, read 1,702,885 times
The middle of nowhere and pretty depressed/barren IMO.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM

121 posts, read 240,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2idaho View Post
The PP's breakdown on areas of town is pretty much spot on.
Thanks! I was pretty impressed with my mapmaking ability.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times
I'd say Bakersfield and Fresno are the best cities in the San Joaquin Valley. Both have colleges, Fresno State being bigger. Bakersfield is a bit nicer because you are a hour and half from the San Fernando Valley. You could make a day trip to Hollywood in 2 hrs or an hour and half to do shopping in the San Fernando Valley.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
I don't live in Bakersfield,, but I have family that lives there. Definitely a lot less to do versus a place like L.A and about half the population of Oklahoma city it looks like...never been to Oklahoma city before though so I dont know how it would compare.

One big plus is the cost of living is a lot cheaper , although prices have gone up a lot in California real estate from the lows of 2009-2012.

Is this job much higher paying? I don't know cost of living in Oklahoma City , you'd have to compare it to bakersfield area.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 PM

245 posts, read 545,201 times
I have been to Okc and some spots in Bakersfield will remind you of home. I think you will like it, it's not crowded, has some nice areas and average shopping. You also get the concerts and events here and there so you don't have to drive to LA for everything. The cons are it can get boring but it is centrally located close to LA and central coast. I wouldn't move there if I was in search of a party scene ect, but if your more interested in a family city, kind of like Okc I am sure you will like it.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,610 times
Bakersfield is the armpit of California. It's flat, hot and has the worst air quality of any city in California and perhaps the US. I stop there for a restroom break on the way to LA.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 13,119 times
We are planning to move to Laurel Glen area, is that safe. I have an infant and 2nd grader. Are the schools safe too.
Any recommendation on apartments?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California