Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,704,357 times

Advertisements

I do know you need Spanish if you want to be hired for front office of any of the Docs I know.

I work with a lot of people and many are foreign born...

Germany, Austria, Philippines, India, El Salvador, Jamaica, Quebec Canada, Ecuador, Senegal....

All speak excellent English as do everyone in their family living here under 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Los Angeles County California--48.2% Hispanic White 27.3%. And this was a year ago, and the numbers for this year year or next may even put the numbers over 50%. When nearly half the population is Hispanic they are going to put up signs in Spanish.
No they aren't because contrary to your assumption, most Hispanics speak English and many don't even speak Spanish.

But you certainly see some signs in Spanish in California, you also see signs in Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Thai, etc.... But who cares? These signs are used to target an immigrant demographic and the serves/products sold are unlikely to be of interest to other demographics. With that said, I shop at ethic markets (Asian and Hispanic) all the time and have no trouble communicating in English. These immigrants do their best to speak English and they know its in their kids best interest to learn English even though they may have a hard time with it.

Quote:
Have you noticed that about every instruction manual on any product is usually in both English and Spanish. Even food labels are starting to have a section in Spanish.
Manuals are often in numerous languages so the products can be sold in many markets.

Quote:
This shows you have never dealt in the business world with Hispanic customers, or had friends that are Hispanic. You don't realize, that Hispanic families still want their children to be duel language speakers.
As I said, if a business' demographic is immigrant Hispanics they are going to certainly use Spanish in their advertisements, etc. But yeah, born and raised in Los Angeles, and some how I've managed not to be familiar with Hispanics...ha.

As I said before, the kids of immigrant families (Hispanic or otherwise) are typically dual language where as the second generation is primarily English speaking. Kids growing up in California, or America as a whole, have strong incentives to learn English.

Last edited by user_id; 09-01-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Sorry for the sidebar...

Just came as a surprise to walk into my local Bank of America in San Leandro and see Spanish as the predominant language on signs, video and forms...

English is my mother's second language... as a child, the public school called my parents in and they were told in no uncertain circumstances to speak only English at home and that was that.

Years later, Mom said she regrets having listened to the school but the Nurse Psychologist went into great detail that it was in the best interest of the child...

About 10 years ago I had applied for a civil service job and the job listed a preference for second spoken language.

I went to the interview and was asked to demonstrate my second language ability... the panel stopped me and asked what language I was speaking and I said German.

They told me German was not one of the languages they were looking for and agreed the job posting should have been more specific because it was silent.

They were looking for Spanish, Tagalog, Cantonese, Vietnamese, etc...

Needless to say the interview did not turn out as I was expecting.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just came as a surprise to walk into my local Bank of America in San Leandro and see Spanish as the predominant language on signs, video and forms...
Bank of America is one of the banks that has targeted Spanish speaking consumers, one of the Bank of America's here has a lot of signs, etc in Spanish as well. Yet others, have little to none.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,786 times
Quote:
The posters have to be in Spanish, as Hispanic population is the predominate race in the state, and growing to the point that in less than 10 years are expected to be over half the population of the state. Over half of all K-12 students are already Hispanic, and about 1/4th of the students are in English programs to teach them English so they can do normal studies, and over 1/3rd of all students live in homes that do not speak English in the home.

In the future, you will see more and more posters, signs, instruction manuals, etc. in Spanish.
In the Lake Merritt BART station most of the advertisements are now in Chinese. A lot of them are for Wells Fargo Bank.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
In the Lake Merritt BART station most of the advertisements are now in Chinese. A lot of them are for Wells Fargo Bank.
I just noticed this too!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,778,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Most people who left California did so because they couldn't afford to live here anymore. They were the ones who weren't successful and instead of trying to improve themselves, they blame their failure on the government. Good grief you people are ridiculous! Biggest whiners and excuse makers in this country.
My father was born in California as have I. I've lived here my whole life, except for a few years while serving our country as part of the military; even then, my military training, schooling, and home port were in California.

The day can't come soon enough when I leave this state for good. In no way do I consider myself unsuccessful. I have a six-figure income, a masters degree, have worked in the national space program for just over 30 years in addition to being a part-time college professor for the past ten years. I think I could be considered a success.

This state has lost its political balance. Nothing good happens when either major political party controls all branches of government. The state is bankrupt and in financial ruin, and there are no efforts are being made to rectifying the situation. Instead, they are releasing criminals back onto the streets before they serve their full term because our "enlightened" leaders refuse to build already authorized and funded prisons.

That's why I'm leaving. The balance is gone. I'm just waiting until the house sells.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My father was born in California as have I. I've lived here my whole life, except for a few years while serving our country as part of the military; even then, my military training, schooling, and home port were in California.

The day can't come soon enough when I leave this state for good. In no way do I consider myself unsuccessful. I have a six-figure income, a masters degree, have worked in the national space program for just over 30 years in addition to being a part-time college professor for the past ten years. I think I could be considered a success.

This state has lost its political balance. Nothing good happens when either major political party controls all branches of government. The state is bankrupt and in financial ruin, and there are no efforts are being made to rectifying the situation. Instead, they are releasing criminals back onto the streets before they serve their full term because our "enlightened" leaders refuse to build already authorized and funded prisons.

That's why I'm leaving. The balance is gone. I'm just waiting until the house sells.
This is the best sales market in 7 years...

Most homes have multiple offers and sell quickly in the SF Bay Area.

Price it right and you should be on your way shortly.

Have you decided on where you will land?

A lot of the people I worked with that moved out of State were sucessful here. It was more like being discontent and cashing out.

Most would not have been in this situation if it were not for having good careers and real estate in California... plus many have California derived pensions.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Any time one party gains control for a significant period of time things go down hill and it does not matter which party it is. Unfortunately once you go the "bread and circus" route, and CA has, it never gets any better.

This is why the business climate is so bad. Select National or Global Industries do OK, but they are the exception not the rule.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,776,347 times
We have gotten away from what this thread is all about. California needs more jobs such as manufacturing, etc., that supply jobs for middle income and below. This is where California is really hurting.

To see the problems, compare California with the states where people are fleeing California to go to.

Note how California is loosing manufacturing jobs monthly, while it is increasing in places like Texas, Utah, and Washington three big destination states for those leaving California.

Another important factor, is Trade, Transportation, and Utilities.

Note that even Information (IT) is soaring compared to California in places like Utah

See how California has cut back on government employees every month

Compare how California has huge layoffs every month as companies go out of business, and move out of state, compared to other states.

California Economy at a Glance

Texas Economy at a Glance

Washington Economy at a Glance

Utah Economy at a Glance

Compare the largest cities, in the 4 states above.

Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Houston, Seattle.

Los Angeles is losing by huge numbers.

What can California do, to create more manufacturing and other middle class jobs. Remember in every factory, they must have Officers, Engineers and other higher educated people, clear down to janitors. A new manufacturing plant hires people in all levels, with heavy hiring in the middle class type jobs.

Compare the largest cities, in the 4 states above.

Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Houston, Seattle.

Note that only Los Angles has an extremely high unemployment rate.

Only Los Angeles is bleeding manufacturing jobs every month.

We keep seeing how California is #1 in Gross Domestic Product, which place it holds due to its huge population. But then note that California is #18 in per capita Gross State Domestic Product which is the only true measure, and no where near #1.

• Per capita U.S. Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2012, by state | Statistic

How can we help California gain back it's former position in the nation. I have great interest in seeing it change, as I have grandchildren, nieces and nephews, etc., living in California and I want to see California boom again for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California