Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times

Advertisements

Climate science: A sensitive matter | The Economist

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/sc...teau.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
We Californians have taken it upon ourselves to solve global warming by restricting our C02 emissions. Turns out that this job killer program serves no purpose as global warming has not been occurring during the last 16 years and there is no link between global warming and our C02 output anyway. In fact the future may hold colder temperatures for us:

Climate Study: Evidence Leans Against Human-Caused Global Warming

So what's the chance that we wise up and turn away from the path we are on?

Am I missing something here? We restricted our emissions to solve global warming....and global warming stopped...

Oh, yeah, but there's no link...

We need an emoticon that is scratching it's head.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I don't think that humans have as much of an impact on global warming as some people insist. That being said, I see nothing wrong with taking measures to cut back on pollution and conserve resources.
Agreed. Of course, there needs to be a cost - benefit analysis done for these.

Most things follow the 80 / 20 rule. There are definitely points of diminishing return most especially in matters of ecological mitigation.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:22 PM

211 posts, read 373,350 times
Overall global climate change should be the top priority on everyones radar. These older republican idiots dont give a f*ck because the true effects will take place after they're gone. Unfortunately, I am 25 and fully expect to see the negative anthropogenic driven effects of centuries of carbon and greenhouse gas emissions within my lifetime. I dont think many people have wrapped their head around the fact that if we continue our reckless pace of environmental destruction the gaia hypothesis will come true and human existence will cease to exist. This is some real **** here!!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
Overall global climate change should be the top priority on everyones radar. These older republican idiots dont give a f*ck because the true effects will take place after they're gone. Unfortunately, I am 25 and fully expect to see the negative anthropogenic driven effects of centuries of carbon and greenhouse gas emissions within my lifetime. I dont think many people have wrapped their head around the fact that if we continue our reckless pace of environmental destruction the gaia hypothesis will come true and human existence will cease to exist. This is some real **** here!!
Good points. It first started getting talked about when I was a teenager in the 80's and even I have seen things change. However, with climate change, some things can't be attributed to it but the cumulative overall over decades is undeniable. Like I said, just ask any farmer. Climate zones have been shifting north generally overall.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:12 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
... Climate zones have been shifting north generally overall.
I keep telling everyone to watch the northern border, not the south ... damn Canadians will rob us blind.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
What astounds me is that some seem to think that this report is just cause to put an end to all the "green" advances that have taken place. Now I will admit that they have driven up costs in some arenas and likely cost some jobs. However, I'm sure that those of you who lived in or near the L.A. area in the 50s and 60s like I did (Orange County) can recall the "hazy" days as they were called then. They were horrendous and the air pollution was enough to gag a maggot some days. Today that's hardly the case, thanks to the green movement, and that's worthy of consideration. While government has perhaps gone too far in some instances as is its wont, overall it has been reasonably beneficial.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,787 times
Good links. The Economist has this feature that's missing from most American news outlets (and most message boards, for that matter). I believe that feature is called "nuance". People who look at this issue at a superficial level do not know how much uncertainty they have to deal with and how that uncertainty is dealt with. You won't encounter a responsible scientist who says that we must take drastic action or we're all doomed. People who advocate emissions reductions do so because the risks of rising temperatures, given the current science, are high enough to justify the cost in reducing emissions. What actions one advocates depends on other variables, like projections of costs, competing priorities, assumed discount rates (essentially, how much value we put on the well-being of future generations), and the like.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What astounds me is that some seem to think that this report is just cause to put an end to all the "green" advances that have taken place. Now I will admit that they have driven up costs in some arenas and likely cost some jobs. However, I'm sure that those of you who lived in or near the L.A. area in the 50s and 60s like I did (Orange County) can recall the "hazy" days as they were called then. They were horrendous and the air pollution was enough to gag a maggot some days. Today that's hardly the case, thanks to the green movement, and that's worthy of consideration. While government has perhaps gone too far in some instances as is its wont, overall it has been reasonably beneficial.
Well said! True it's an inconvenience for many, especially if they're not used to it but in the long run, everyone benefits. The occurrences of acid rain have decreased as well.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:08 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Only a moron believes the disinformation spread by partisan blogs like breitbart. If someone wants actual information from actual scientists then it is very easy to get just by going to the source and not partisan blogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California