Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM

13 posts, read 37,372 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, it's looking like I'm going to be moving out to the Tahoe area this coming fall, and I really need help figuring out where to go. I want to be near some of the mountains, preferably Squaw, but any of them will do, really. I was in Tahoe earlier this year, and I visited some friends who live in Truckee. I really like that place, but I would like to be a tad closer to some of the better mountains, since Northstar was cool, but not really what I would ideally want to be my everyday place.

I am looking for a place that is affordable for a recent college grad couple, we only would need a 1br apartment, with halfway decent nightlife and near one of the mountains (Squaw/Alpine, Heavenly, Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl). I have basically ruled out Reno as a possibility as I heard it's not all that great. Also, something with decent job opportunities is also taken into consideration. We both have degrees and want to use them, but are willing to take the mountain and restaurant jobs if we must. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Affordable and Truckee / Tahoe City is an oxymoron. There is too much big city money chasing too few (2nd home) dwellings. That then puts the squeeze on general housing costs including even the few apartments. To get into affordable housing in that neck of the woods you need to get a few miles from the resorts.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
Prepare for the mountain version of poverty.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Carson City, NV is pretty cheap.

Carson City : Home

I actually looked at retiring there at one point, but I get better benefits in CA than I would get in NV (CA supplements my SSI, NV wouldn't.)

It's in the Lake Tahoe area.

https://reno.craigslist.org/search/a..._type=&excats=

Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Prepare for the mountain version of poverty.
Regardless, living in the Greater Tahoe area, fresh out of college, is an ideal way to spend the next three or four years!

Then one can get on with their life!

What passes for poverty in Tahoe is worth the price. And the fact the OP is willing to take any job bodes well.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman25 View Post
Hey guys, it's looking like I'm going to be moving out to the Tahoe area this coming fall, and I really need help figuring out where to go. I want to be near some of the mountains, preferably Squaw, but any of them will do, really. I was in Tahoe earlier this year, and I visited some friends who live in Truckee. I really like that place, but I would like to be a tad closer to some of the better mountains, since Northstar was cool, but not really what I would ideally want to be my everyday place.

I am looking for a place that is affordable for a recent college grad couple, we only would need a 1br apartment, with halfway decent nightlife and near one of the mountains (Squaw/Alpine, Heavenly, Kirkwood, Sugar Bowl). I have basically ruled out Reno as a possibility as I heard it's not all that great. Also, something with decent job opportunities is also taken into consideration. We both have degrees and want to use them, but are willing to take the mountain and restaurant jobs if we must. Thank you for your help!
Have you considered looking at Google maps or anything like that?

What you're asking for aren't things normally associated with one another. You want to be near a resort town yet you want it to be affordable. I mean, come on, isn't the wish list and the resources list a little out of wack?

You've ruled out Reno, so again, look at a map. Affordable in areas close to Tahoe means dumpsville or live in a trailer or RV (nothing against that but it is a different lifestyle).

You want decent nightlife but don't say what that means to you.

You've got degrees but are willing to work in low minimum paying wage jobs.

Consider Sacramento and proximity. The travel to Tahoe is relatively short unless you must live in the mountains in which case affordable and what you want isn't compatible.

Time for a reality check. Seriously.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Sparks...... City of Sparks, Nevada - It's Happening Here | City of Sparks, Nevada - It's Happening Here

Old 05-01-2014, 04:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Reno isn't that bad, and living there and driving 30-45 minutes to go skiing in Tahoe beats the super expensive cost of living in Tahoe. But if you really want to live in the Tahoe area, it's possible, but get ready for a whole lot of roommates. In the old days Kings Beach or Homewood or parts of South Lake Tahoe used to be more affordable--these days, not so much.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,446 times
Have you considered Mammoth in addition to Tahoe?

Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 AM

13 posts, read 37,372 times
Maybe I didn't elaborate enough in the original post. I have been out of
College for a few years ad have saved money, so I don't need to live in the cheapest apartment around. I don't know the area well and assumed certain areas are super super expensive and I'm trying to find the towns or cities that maybe are not for rich people. A little bit of hostility from some people on this, wow! Also I don't need to be in a mountain town, just want one of the other mountains, not northstar, to be the "closest" mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California