Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would cause you to leave California?
If it became unaffordable for me... 59 48.36%
If politics got too liberal/conservative/moderate... 17 13.93%
If it gets too crowded... 26 21.31%
If I had to move for work.... 26 21.31%
Nothing. I can't leave California, family/sunshine/hollywood/natural beauty/etc keeps me here and I can't find it anywhere else. 40 32.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Many people who move out for similar reasons as we did have never lived in more than one region or at most two regions within the state. That is there only frame of reference when they 'escape.' But if you really travel the state (the entire coastline, the Sierra range, Eastern Sierra and more), which is almost as large as the eastern seaboard, you'll notice a much greater range in environments, geography, population densities and diversity of people.
Derek
I'm sure you're right, Derek. People with a limited and myopic view of California should really give it more of a chance because so many parts of it do shine. In my case I began my CA trek in La Jolla, progressed to Newport Beach, and after returning from Asia settled for a time in Santa Monica then to Whittier then back down to Newport Beach. Off I went again, thanks to Uncle Sam, then returned and lived in San Bernardino, Riverside, Bakersfield and spent the last 20 years in Sacramento. I drove the coast from San Diego to Crescent City and beyond several times, regularly vacationed on the northern coast, drove I-5 the length of the state several times, explored gold country extensively and explored the rest of California incrementally over a span of about 50 years in-state. In-between I lived in seven other states running the gamut from the Midwest to the deep south to the eastern seaboard and three other countries; all Asian.

When it came time to retire in 2008 I think I had a pretty good handle on all California, from Mexico to Oregon, had to offer. But I also had a handle on other places as did my wife who was also a California native (NorCal vs. my SoCal) and military brat like me. She had lived in several places in California from Sacramento to Ventura, up to Placerville then Sacramento again, as well as another country, Massachusetts, Texas and the Arkansas Ozarks.

When we moved in retirement we knew what we wanted, where it was and that's where we ended up. It was an "educated and experienced decision. I find it troubling when people rush to leave California not having explored all the possibilities and go someplace on a whim that may be as shallow as a fetching picture on a postcard or a website. The same goes for people who move in the other direction strictly due to the lure of the beach or Hollywood. Then, "Weeks turn into years, how quick they pass. And all the stars that never were are parking cars and pumping gas"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 04:14 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Name one. Name just one state. (You can't include Florida. I'm not sure Florida is really part of The US. )
Hi! Have you ever looked at a map of the US? There are 23 states with beaches. My First choice would be Texas most likely. Besides the beach there are mountains, deserts, rivers, lakes, multiple pro sports teams, amusement parks, water parks, malls, restaurants....everything there is to do here, and for a lot less money. Just as I said

Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
And, once again, when may we expect you to finally leave?

Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And, once again, when may we expect you to finally leave?
Get working on that gun ban bill!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Hi! Have you ever looked at a map of the US? There are 23 states with beaches. My First choice would be Texas most likely. Besides the beach there are mountains, deserts, rivers, lakes, multiple pro sports teams, amusement parks, water parks, malls, restaurants....everything there is to do here, and for a lot less money. Just as I said
...searing heat, high humidity and property taxes, boring stretches of empty land, pseudo cowboys with over-sized hats, armadillos up the ying-yang and worst of all, Texans!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...searing heat, high humidity and property taxes, boring stretches of empty land, pseudo cowboys with over-sized hats, armadillos up the ying-yang and worst of all, Texans!
Sounds like your describing the Central Valley without the armadillos

Old 07-11-2014, 05:58 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Several things happened. The NINJA loans/ housing bubble permanently changed our long-term neighborhood and made it a place that we couldn't live in for the rest of our lives. And we were priced out of anything else that we would want to live in. Also, our children left, and it was pretty obvious because of careers and other commitments that they would not be back.

Finally other family and friends had left, either through moving or death.

So for us, there was nothing to stay for. I spent my entire life in SoCal, and I miss it every day, but I know what I miss is only in my mind.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:59 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times
I've got a paid-off house in the Bay Area. I can't imagine why I'd ever want to move away.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
I may move out shortly. As much as I do not want to move it's just become way too unaffordable and I wish to buy a home and settle in one place. With skyrocketing rent increases year after year and home prices in the stratosphere it's just becoming too impossible to get ahead. I recently moved again because my already high rent at my previous place increased over 10% because some investor bought the place and was trying to recoup his investment... and guess what people seem to be having the money to pay the astonishing rents. So I say LET THEM and I will just make do somewhere else and be happy.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Sounds like your describing the Central Valley without the armadillos
Yup! But the damn things are moving here from Texas. Thankfully, the bulk of them seem to cooperatively assume their natural position, the dying cockroach, on the sides of the roads. Out here the state sanctions open season on the critters. I knew there was a reason I bought a Mini-14 with a number of 20-round magazines (don't see the need for 30-rounders which are also legal here). Both the rifle and the magazines are forbidden to bring into or purchase in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California