Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,138 times

Advertisements

I've never lived in an area with earthquakes nor lived in a hot desert climate and I'm moving to Ridgecrest soon. I read that it's pretty close to a fault line, that earthquakes happen regularly, and that there might be other things to be aware of. My questions that I hope someone can answer are:

* Are all the buildings earthquake proof and can they withstand large quakes?
* If not all buildings are earthquake proof how can you tell whether they are or not?
* Do earthquakes really happen that often?
* What do you do when an earthquake happens?
* Do dust storms happen a lot and what do you do when they happen?
* Any must know tips about dealing with the heat?
* Are there any water restrictions and how do you know if you used too much if yes?
* Is the drinking water safe to drink?
* Anything else related to Ridgecrest' geography or weather/climate I should be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:18 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelTove View Post
I've never lived in an area with earthquakes nor lived in a hot desert climate and I'm moving to Ridgecrest soon. I read that it's pretty close to a fault line, that earthquakes happen regularly, and that there might be other things to be aware of. My questions that I hope someone can answer are:

* Are all the buildings earthquake proof and can they withstand large quakes?
* If not all buildings are earthquake proof how can you tell whether they are or not?
* Do earthquakes really happen that often?
* What do you do when an earthquake happens?
* Are there any water restrictions and how do you know if you used too much if yes?
* Anything else related to Ridgecrest' geography or weather/climate I should be aware of?
Beats me.
Who knows.
Not the ones you can feel.
Stand in a doorway, or crawl under a table.
Never.
Stay in the A/C or swamp cooler for as long as possible. Do errands early in the morning or late at night.
Beats me, water was cheap when I lived there (2004-2007), like $20/mo on a bad month w/IWV.
Yes, and it tastes better than most waters too.
Read my world-famous thread about my time there: All you (n)ever wanted to know about Ridgecrest

Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,138 times
Thank you! That was very informative!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Houses in CA are of lighter materials generally so they tend to sway in quakes
Yes, Ridgecrest had 2 earthquakes so far TODAY. But David's right, most you can't feel: Earthquakes in Ridgecrest, California, United States - Most Recent
People buy windshield insurance in Palm Spring due to sandstorms. Doubt needed for dust storms.
Your water bill will be sky-high if you use too much. More restrictions sure to come unless we get a lot of rain in CA
Drinking water safety is well regulated in CA

Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelTove View Post

* Are all the buildings earthquake proof and can they withstand large quakes? usually anything built after 1950 is safe up to a 7-8
* If not all buildings are earthquake proof how can you tell whether they are or not? They are the ones that have collapsed
* Do earthquakes really happen that often? No. In a particular area decades could pass between large (6+) ones. Those are the ones that can be a problem
* What do you do when an earthquake happens? usually stand still and ask: did you feel that?
I only addressed the earthquake questions in general. Seems a lot of people from the mid-west and east are overly concerned about earthquakes. My guess is that in the last 50 years under 100 people have died in an earthquake in North America.

Now compare that figure to the number of people who have died due to tornados or hurricanes in the last 50 years.

Personally, I actually enjoy any quake under 5. But then, I am a native Californian

Old 04-24-2015, 12:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Earthquake safety - For residential buildings ... wood frame tied to foundation with multiple bolts, sheer panels of at least thick plywood attached to all cripple walls, soft story garage fronts, etc - this is good. Non reinforced masonry - this is bad. For things not wood frame there are mitigations possible. Make sure water heaters, gas appliances, etc are properly fastened. Fasten heavy furniture items. Pretty obvious stuff.

A note about earthquake hazards in that area. Sure there are a coupe of faults - Garlock (strike slip Left Lateral with no history of major quakes) and Sierra Nevada (a "Basin and Range" style normal fault with history but nothing major other than the 1872 quake). A few other minor faults. Pretty benign by Western US standards.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 PM

68 posts, read 74,314 times
I grew up in Ridgecrest and go back regularly to visit. I don't think you have much to fear in regards to earthquakes (I slept through several growing up, even "The Big One" Lol) I am a lot more worried about earthquakes living here San Francisco (higher buildings, more power lines, etc) than I ever was in R/C.

Be conscientious about water consumption. I whole state needs to be in general, but it's a desert and there is still many lawns there and cars tend to be washed more than needed (they are just going to get dusty again!) As far as other information. . .enjoy the sunsets, starry nights, get to know people slowly; you're likely to end up with some lifelong friends, and be involved in the community.

If you are working on base/have base access I would recommend the gym. There is a great indoor pool that can help with the long summer afternoons when it is quite hot out. There is also a community college that has some fun classes (especially, if you are interested in art/theater), hiking in the local foothills is great, and the library is always a good stop. If you have animals be aware they should not be left outside during peak hours and be sure to have lots of fresh water available. The veterinary care my pets received there was great; one of the best despite living in other major cities boasting state of the art facilities. I think the small town touch made all the difference

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have. Welcome to the Hi Desert!

Old 04-24-2015, 03:53 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
Don't even worry about earthquakes. Small quakes are exciting and harmless as long as you don't get worked up over it.
It has been said, 'get under a table'. I never understood this. Yes, it will keep debris from falling on you, but what about the table? If there is enough debris, it will flatten the table on top of you. More recently earthquake safety has said to find 'pockets'. Pockets are spaces beside things that are large and/or tall and stable, such as the back side of a couch. Lay down up close and if anything falls, it will 'tent' over the couch, creating that pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California