Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
??? Nestle does more than sell water. Plus they're doing everyone a favor by reducing plastic and BPA poison being consumed.
Don't forget the Starbucks water bottling plant too... although it has decided to move California production to the East Coast... in full disclosure I have never even tasted a Starbucks Coffee...

I don't buy bottled water and hate disposable everything that has come to represent the Western World... I work in a Hospital and at one time much was reprocessed/sterilized... today, it is almost all single use and it fills dumpsters with disposable plastic and paper goods.

Just like we got along for nearly a century with returnable bottles... and then the shift was to disposables...

That said... I feel very uncomfortable to dictate my preferences on others... just because I still own the same $800 car I bought in High School doesn't mean others should...

Just because I have never lived in a home with cable or own a cell phone... doesn't mean others must live this way...

I could easily go a month with a single 20 gallon trash container... yet, I am told I must pay for weekly service... so several weeks each month my container is not placed on the street for collection.

Several of my neighbors have 96 gallon a week jumbo collection containers and sometimes it's not enough.

As a child, I would spend time on my Grandparents small Dairy Farm... my Grandparents never owned a car or truck.. they did own a tractor and bought in bulk... flour, sugar, fabric... made most of what they consumed...

Still remember one year when my Grandmother's peaches had the blight and I brought a case of Del Monte Cling Peaches... they did not own a can opener and decades later... my Grandfather had saved each empty tin can to use in his shop... oh... Grandmother did say those canned peaches were tasty and scolded me for being extravagant.

They really did not have any trash... table scraps went to the animals... metal repurposed and wood and paper made kindling for the old Wedgewood combination Electric and Wood Stove... preserves were put up in the same mason jars each year... it really is possible to reduce trash with lifestyle choices.

If a person has a problem with Nestle... vote with dollars and refuse to do business with them... just as I do with cable companies...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-02-2015 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 AM

807 posts, read 897,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
We flirt with an intelligent discussion here. A surprising venue for such

Anyway, the theme of millennials preferring a dense urban lifestyle is proven to be a myth.

But there's really even more to the myth. The millennial urban trend, even at the lower level than the meme, isn't driven by desire anyway. It's driven by forced circumstances. Millennials are having a harder time buying real estate they want. There's a lot of sharing properties with relatives and others. Given ability, millennials will seek space and individual freedom and individual transportation just like previous generations.

Humans are essentially evolved to live in small social units of fewer than 150 individuals. A close friend turned me on to a discovery in anthropological science that proves this. It's called Dunbar's Number. Look it up. Fascinating. Explains nearly everything as to why we act the way we do socially.
I don't deny the evidence presented but will argue that it might provide an incomplete picture. The census data might include many downtown regions outside of California that are still in economic decline. Also, I think we should note that people will pass through phases in life so some people may be more inclined to live that lower-resource lifestyle in the city for a while before going out to the suburbs. Even if it's for just one or two decades, the overall gains from people having that period of efficiency is still worth enabling, in my opinion.

About Dunbar's Number, that made sense right off the bat even before I went to Wikipedia to follow up. Even so, I think it is possible to make it work out. Take for example how the massive crew of our aircraft carriers can function very well. The folks who are willing to live in crowded quarters will learn how to deal with the situation in the time that they are there and are free to leave when they tire of it. A slightly increased urban area absolutely doesn't mean that everyone should be forced live that lifestyle. We would just be adding supply to unmet demand and at the same time we know overall efficiencies are gained from it. Win-win all around!

The key is balance: I think it is possible to add just enough supply to capitalize on the efficiencies of urban living (over what we are using today in the 'burbs), but not so much new supply that too many new people arrive and consume that resource savings. Although that shouldn't be a problem if people are leaving California in droves because it sucks here, as some posters have insisted.

Just to be that sure my intentions are clear, urbanizing is most definitely not intended to be the ultimate answer to the water/resource problems! But if it is combined with other actions it will help reduce the strain on resources and perhaps buy time for better solutions to either be implemented or invented.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:19 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,244 times
One thing for sure is we don't need a damn high speed railway at the moment or ever. All available resource should be used to build saltwater desalination plants.

I mean, do we really want to wait until it's to late? Or are the powers that be want to create a crises as an excuse to raise prices and create social unrest.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:22 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
One thing for sure is we don't need a damn high speed railway at the moment or ever. All available resource should be used to build saltwater desalination plants.

I mean, do we really want to wait until it's to late? Or are the powers that be want to create a crises as an excuse to raise prices and create social unrest.
We should at least be doing as much research as possible into better and less expensive means of desalinating sea water, such as the use of solar to operate these plants and any excess power from the solar would be a plus. Why do we have to wait till we run out of water to resolve the problem? I am not turning on the sprinklers on any of my 32 yards I maintain or fertilizing my yards and will encourage my clients to remove their lawns. Some want to replace their lawns with raised beds for vegetables, at least the water they use will give them something in return. If an average lawn uses 44,000 gallons of water a year, one can produce a lot of produce with that water.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
We should at least be doing as much research as possible into better and less expensive means of desalinating sea water, such as the use of solar to operate these plants and any excess power from the solar would be a plus. Why do we have to wait till we run out of water to resolve the problem? I am not turning on the sprinklers on any of my 32 yards I maintain or fertilizing my yards and will encourage my clients to remove their lawns. Some want to replace their lawns with raised beds for vegetables, at least the water they use will give them something in return. If an average lawn uses 44,000 gallons of water a year, one can produce a lot of produce with that water.
This has been a favorite point of mine since way before the drought. Like for decades I been sayin: tear out the damn grass and plant vegetables, fruits, and even flowering plants to delight the pollen feeders. Grass is stooopid.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
This has been a favorite point of mine since way before the drought. Like for decades I been sayin: tear out the damn grass and plant vegetables, fruits, and even flowering plants to delight the pollen feeders. Grass is stooopid.
Lets start with Golf Courses

Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Lets start with Golf Courses
We find common ground occasionally. This would be an example. Fore!

Although, to be honest about it, most golf courses use reclaimed water.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:56 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,277 times
elephant in the room.....‘Tahoe to tap’ could ease California

Old 06-06-2015, 06:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
An April 1 elephant.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:50 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
You are making generalizations without foundational facts. Except the part about Al Gore being Al Gore
Drivne through any middle class neighborhood in OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California