Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:01 PM

471 posts, read 601,192 times

Advertisements

Saudi Arabia's £67bn King Abdullah Economic City to be finished by 2035 | Daily Mail Online

Meanwhile in other parts of the world, Saudi Arabia of all places, with NO ground water, massive cities are being built.

How to they create all this greenery and support so many people when there is no water?. Is it magic?

Funny, CA could do all this and more, instead we worry more about glasses of water at a restaurant and lawns, while others are innovating and living in the 21st century and terraforming.

As another poster so astutely put it, you have to produce, not just reduce.

You can't cut your way to prosperity. We have the power to create vast volumes of fresh water, state leadership doesn't. No will, no creativity, no innovation. The best they can come up with are cuts.

Remember there is NO ground water where they are building this in Saudi. This is all Desal. So the hews and cries about running out of water in CA sound a bit silly.

I love many things about CA, I'm sad that one of the most regressive places on earth can some how solve problems that we say are unsolvable, I don't buy it. Western technology is used to solve the water crisis in Saudi and the rest of the middle east, why can't we use our own technology? Our problems are mismanagement, lack of vision, class envy, and distain for certain lifestyles.

Instead of building the future, CA plans to blow that on a choo choo while stamping their feet that there is no water.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 05-24-2015 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:20 PM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times
Because the Democrat party is in total control of this now wretched state. All state elected offices are held by Democrats and they have totally destroyed this once great state.
Public employee unions provide millions to Democrat campaignes to elect Democrats so thats why public employees have pay twice what comparable jobs in the private sector pays plus retire early with full pay and health care for life.
No wonder theres no money for water piped to Calif. or dams to save what water we do get. Your paying for public employees new houses and cars and vacations.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
. I love many things about CA, I'm sad that one of the most regressive places on earth can some how solve problems that we say are unsolvable, I don't buy it. Western technology is used to solve the water crisis in Saudi and the rest of the middle east, why can't we use our own technology? Our problems are mismanagement, lack of vision, class envy, and disdain for certain lifestyles.

Instead of building the future, CA plans to blow that on a choo choo while stamping their feet that there is no water.
Yep, pretty good summary of why California doesn't solve the water problem.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:02 PM

102,221 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Well, Saudi Arabia hauls in billions of oil dollars daily, and has no national debt. That could be one reason. They can pay for all the desalination they want. It's also a monarchy, vs. a democracy, so the King can just snap his fingers to make projects happen, and there are no budget constraints, no laws restricting how different segments of the budget can be used. You don't think it might have anything to do with any of those factors, do you?

Oh, and btw, CA does already have a couple of experimental desal plants going. It's not like the Gov can just wave a wand, and make a dozen desal plants appear on the coast. And even if he did, delivery infrastructure would have to be built to get the water to the ag regions where it's needed. Remember, ag uses 80% of the water. Providing desalinated water to coastal communities isn't going to make much difference to the overall shortage.

:

Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Because the Democrat party is in total control of this now wretched state. All state elected offices are held by Democrats and they have totally destroyed this once great state.
Public employee unions provide millions to Democrat campaignes to elect Democrats so thats why public employees have pay twice what comparable jobs in the private sector pays plus retire early with full pay and health care for life.
No wonder theres no money for water piped to Calif. or dams to save what water we do get. Your paying for public employees new houses and cars and vacations.
1. All state offices are NOT held by Democrats. All statewide offices may be but there are Republicans in both the state Senate and the Assembly.

2. Public employees are NOT paid twice what comparable jobs provide in the private sector.

3. Most civil servants do NOT retire at full pay. The average pension for most state retirees is $2,737 a month.

4. Public employees are NOT different from any other employees in that they use their earnings to purchase their homes, cars and take vacations once a year if they're lucky.

It's one thing to be outrageous. It's quite another to be ignorant and just plain wrong. Once again I sense pension envy!

Back to the subject at hand, the issue of water has been a huge one for the state for decades but is one of those "burning" issues that always seems to just get kicked down the road and extinguished. Lack of will?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:57 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Dude, if you keep spewing baseless statements, somebody might mistake you for a troll. You wouldn't want that to happen, would you?

Old 05-25-2015, 12:08 AM

471 posts, read 601,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, Saudi Arabia hauls in billions of oil dollars daily, and has no national debt. That could be one reason. They can pay for all the desalination they want. It's also a monarchy, vs. a democracy, so the King can just snap his fingers to make projects happen, and there are no budget constraints, no laws restricting how different segments of the budget can be used. You don't think it might have anything to do with any of those factors, do you?

Oh, and btw, CA does already have a couple of experimental desal plants going. It's not like the Gov can just wave a wand, and make a dozen desal plants appear on the coast. And even if he did, delivery infrastructure would have to be built to get the water to the ag regions where it's needed. Remember, ag uses 80% of the water. Providing desalinated water to coastal communities isn't going to make much difference to the overall shortage.

:
You are right, this is true, but aren't we are spending $100/B on high speed rail and that is about the amount the Saudi's are spending building an actual Tommorowland that will host 2 million people? How can a place with a 12th century justice system build cities in the desert, that even include, lawns.and pools. You might even be able to take a 10 minute shower.

It bothers me that all I seem to hear from Jerry Brown is limits, but no focus on creation. Limits don't take you forward, they don't create supply. Limits only hold off the inevitable. What happens if the drought lasts and Jerry gets his wish for short showers, no glasses of water in restaurants, and manages to kill grass? What next, cut residential use to zero? Still won't help the drought without new supply. So far I've seen no proposals from him to greatly increase supply. We could redirect the $100 billion for HSR to Desal to increase the long term water supply. Jerry has been rather hostile to Desal. He's hostile to any infrastructure building. Remember the "era of limits".

In the time it will take us to build this choo choo, the Saudi's will have completed a city of the future, rising from the desert, water, lawns and all. They aren't the only ones, there are lots of them throughout coastal regions in the ME.

I would imagine 60 years ago, if we had today's technology, there would never be a water shortage in CA.

Back then, there was more vision. Jerry doesn't seem to have vision, he can't imagine creation. He can only see limits. That's my biggest frustration with the leadership in CA today.

Jerry's father Pat would have already had this problem fixed.

Pat Browns view of being Governor:

My son asked me what I hoped to accomplish as Governor. I told him: essentially to make life more comfortable for people, as far as government can. I think that embraces everything from developing the water resources vital to California's growth, to getting a man to work and back fifteen minutes earlier if it can be done through a state highway program.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 05-25-2015 at 12:26 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 12:23 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,568 times
Quote:
Oh, and btw, CA does already have a couple of experimental desal plants going. It's not like the Gov can just wave a wand, and make a dozen desal plants appear on the coast.

:
Except that the ONE desal plant took like TEN- COUNT 'EM -TEN (10) YEARS-YES-YEARS to approve - so the 'WAND' (that's broken!) could have HELPED some!!! we (including Jerry!!) just can't seem to prioritize -- anything! (like say, except for high speed rail??!!) --

Old 05-25-2015, 01:00 AM

102,221 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
You are right, this is true, but aren't we are spending $100/B on high speed rail and that is about the amount the Saudi's are spending building an actual Tommorowland that will host 2 million people? How can a place with a 12th century justice system build cities in the desert, that even include, lawns.and pools. You might even be able to take a 10 minute shower.

It bothers me that all I seem to hear from Jerry Brown is limits, but no focus on creation. Limits don't take you forward, they don't create supply. Limits only hold off the inevitable. What happens if the drought lasts and Jerry gets his wish for short showers, no glasses of water in restaurants, and manages to kill grass? What next, cut residential use to zero? Still won't help the drought without new supply. So far I've seen no proposals from him to greatly increase supply. We could redirect the $100 billion for HSR to Desal to increase the long term water supply. Jerry has been rather hostile to Desal. He's hostile to any infrastructure building. Remember the "era of limits".

In the time it will take us to build this choo choo, the Saudi's will have completed a city of the future, rising from the desert, water, lawns and all. They aren't the only ones, there are lots of them throughout coastal regions in the ME.

I would imagine 60 years ago, if we had today's technology, there would never be a water shortage in CA.

Back then, there was more vision. Jerry doesn't seem to have vision, he can't imagine creation. He can only see limits. That's my biggest frustration with the leadership in CA today.

Jerry's father Pat would have already had this problem fixed.

Pat Browns view of being Governor:

My son asked me what I hoped to accomplish as Governor. I told him: essentially to make life more comfortable for people, as far as government can. I think that embraces everything from developing the water resources vital to California's growth, to getting a man to work and back fifteen minutes earlier if it can be done through a state highway program.
Well, he kind of created the problem, or set the stage for it, by building the water project to grow crops in the desert. He can see limits because our world is running up against the limits of nature and climate change. And didn't I see something in the news this week about him getting ready to put new restrictions on agricultural water use? But sure, he could be doing more. He shouldn't be approving more and more acreage turned over to almonds, for one thing.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM

631 posts, read 749,692 times
Quote:

:
The only realistic post in this entire thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California