Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:13 AM

807 posts, read 898,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I guess you are forgetting about Arizona, Florida, Texas, Utah.

Keep in mind summer doesn't end until Sept 20/21 so its actually summer all over the entire country.
Whenever I start wishing that the weather would cool down in September, I just remember that the 2007 wildfires (Malibu, Santiago Canyon, San Diego, and others all simultaneously) were all in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 09:52 AM

6,909 posts, read 8,284,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Whenever I start wishing that the weather would cool down in September, I just remember that the 2007 wildfires (Malibu, Santiago Canyon, San Diego, and others all simultaneously) were all in October.
*Up here in Sacramento, October is a much cooler month than SoCal. Our low temps drop into low 50s and upper 40s. A lot more deciduous trees that lose their leaves, it's crisp and cool. A chance of a real winter type cold soaking rain storm (not a sub-tropical monsoon type that SoCal or Arizona gets), more like a Pacific Northwest type of storm, cold heavy mountain-snow-producing, lots of soaking rain in the Sacramento Valley.

Instead, in these drought years, the Sacramento area has had SoCal-type-wildfires in the Sierra foothills that we have not ever had in the 150 years of weather data. All of our worst fires have been in the last 3-4 years, prior to that, wildfires were very rare. The Pacific Northwest also as had the worst amount of wildfires ever; its becoming more common up there too.

*In average-normal weather, non-drought years.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:03 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Digging the nice breezy 75 degree weather today. Unfortunately it's supposed to be 100 degrees again on Sunday (in south San Jose, at least), so we're not out of the furnace yet.
I just arrived in the Bay Area from NM, which has cooled off unusually early in the season (Sept. there is usually still in the high 80's or 90, even). I was stepping out in the mornings to nice cool breezes in northern NM. I can't get my mind around the fact that it's hotter around the Bay than in the desert. But at least the fog still comes in to cool things off at night. I had fans going all night, where I'm staying, to cool the house off for the day. Still, this is crazy! I'm told the whole weekend is expected to be unusually hot. I'm glad I'm leaving for Puget Sound in a few days.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:28 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
I guess you are forgetting about Arizona, Florida, Texas, Utah.

Keep in mind summer doesn't end until Sept 20/21 so its actually summer all over the entire country.
That doesn't mean everywhere is still getting typical summer weather though.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
*Up here in Sacramento, October is a much cooler month than SoCal. Our low temps drop into low 50s and upper 40s. A lot more deciduous trees that lose their leaves, it's crisp and cool. A chance of a real winter type cold soaking rain storm (not a sub-tropical monsoon type that SoCal or Arizona gets), more like a Pacific Northwest type of storm, cold heavy mountain-snow-producing, lots of soaking rain in the Sacramento Valley.

Instead, in these drought years, the Sacramento area has had SoCal-type-wildfires in the Sierra foothills that we have not ever had in the 150 years of weather data. All of our worst fires have been in the last 3-4 years, prior to that, wildfires were very rare. The Pacific Northwest also as had the worst amount of wildfires ever; its becoming more common up there too.

*In average-normal weather, non-drought years.
Wildfires have always occurred in Northern CA,

Old 09-19-2015, 04:24 PM

6,909 posts, read 8,284,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Wildfires have always occurred in Northern CA,
Just as wildfires have always occurred in the Western United States including the Pacific Northwest.

But they have never occurred with such frequency and severity; nor have they and started so early in the season and ended so late in the season. Sounds like you are ignoring the impact of 3-5 years of drought and 2 years of severe drought; it has it consequences.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:41 AM

5 posts, read 6,510 times
Hopefull this winter will be a rainy one, on the other hand if the drought eventually there will be nothing left to burn

Old 09-20-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Just as wildfires have always occurred in the Western United States including the Pacific Northwest.

But they have never occurred with such frequency and severity; nor have they and started so early in the season and ended so late in the season. Sounds like you are ignoring the impact of 3-5 years of drought and 2 years of severe drought; it has it consequences.
I was never disputing the effects of the drought on wildfires, just your statement that they were rare before.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:14 PM

Ok....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California