Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer Overall?
Sacramento,CA 35 47.30%
Long Beach, CA 38 51.35%
Long Beach can surpass Sacramento in population 4 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM

592 posts, read 828,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
And if it did, you can bet it would 20 degrees hotter in Sacramento.
I think the high that day was 107. But yeah- it was uncomfortable. I've been all over the US during the Summer months- Sacramento is hot by any standard. Is it Kuwait City or Dubai? No, of course not. But it's definitely hotter than most of the East Coast, Midwest and South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 03:48 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
I think the high that day was 107. But yeah- it was uncomfortable. I've been all over the US during the Summer months- Sacramento is hot by any standard. Is it Kuwait City or Dubai? No, of course not. But it's definitely hotter than most of the East Coast, Midwest and South.
You've got it backwards, Sacramento averages cooler than much of the USA concerning summer evenings, nights, and mornings than most of the USA including the Midwest and east, especially the south.

Is Sacramento overall cooler in the summer than Long Beach during the DAY, no. But Sacramento is cooler than Long Beach on average in the morning.

San Franciscans have a completely distorted sense of summer weather thus when they come to Sac it's a shock and only 80 miles away. San Francisco rarely gets above 68F for highs in the summer while most of the nation has high humidity and rarely drops Below 68F in the summer.

Sacramento averages 88F-92F for highs during the summer. If you factor in heat index, Sacramento averages 85F-89F. Low temps in Sacramento averages 58F-62F in the SUMMER.

Few San Franciscans know this, but Sacramento from early morning to noon is one of a handful of metros that have cool comfortable summer mornings.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-02-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 12:52 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You've got it backwards, Sacramento averages cooler than much of the USA concerning summer evenings, nights, and mornings than most of the USA including the Midwest and east, especially the south.

Is Sacramento overall cooler in the summer than Long Beach during the DAY, no. But Sacramento is cooler than Long Beach on average in the morning.

San Franciscans have a completely distorted sense of summer weather thus when they come to Sac it's a shock and only 80 miles away. San Francisco rarely gets above 68F for highs in the summer while most of the nation has high humidity and rarely drops Below 68F in the summer.

Sacramento averages 88F-92F for highs during the summer. If you factor in heat index, Sacramento averages 85F-89F. Low temps in Sacramento averages 58F-62F in the SUMMER.

Few San Franciscans know this, but Sacramento from early morning to noon is one of a handful of metros that have cool comfortable summer mornings.
Yea except most people are asleep, at work, or at school.

So it's not really like you can enjoy the summer weather most of the day.

Just give it up dude. Sacramento is pretty much as miserable in the summer as St. Louis is in the winter.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yea except most people are asleep, at work, or at school.

So it's not really like you can enjoy the summer weather most of the day.

Just give it up dude. Sacramento is pretty much as miserable in the summer as St. Louis is in the winter.
You obviously do not know how to take advantage of Sacramento Great summer mornings. I know plenty of Sacramentans that do including me.

Sacramento summers mornings from dawn until noon, there are tons of runners and active people doing outdoor exercise. Gardening too is great during this time and there are plenty of gardens in Sacramento.

Another thing coastal Californians including San Franciscans never mention is that Sacramento weather is near identical to Bay Area weather 5-6 months out of the year. And Sacramento Spring weather is better than San Francisco spring weather.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-03-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-03-2015, 06:54 AM

TOP-100 SWEATIEST CITIES IN AMERICA - Summer weather.
This list of summer averages/indexes perfectly supports what I've been saying all along: Sacramento is cooler and more comfortable than the rest of the Central Valley and half the nation---really more than 2/3 the nation.

Yah, I think we underestimate and downplay how GREAT Sacramento weather really is.

1. Phoenix, AZ - When it's 85F at 7am in the morning; it's 59F and 26 degrees Cooler in Sacramento on your morning run.
2. Las Vegas, NV
3. Tucson, AZ
4. Dallas, TX
5. Corpus Christi, TX
6. San Antonio, TX
7. Austin, TX - When it still 95F with oppressive humid heat at midnight in Austin, its' 70F in Sacramento with cool wind coming from the Delta/Coast.
8. Shreveport, LA
9. Houston, TX
10. Waco, TX
11. Miami, FL
12. New Orleans, LA
13. Orlando, FL
14. Tampa, FL
15. West Palm Beach, FL
16. Honolulu, HI
17. El Paso, TX
18. Memphis, TN
19. Fort Myers, FL
20. Baton Rouge, LA
21. Little Rock, AR
22. Mobile, AL
23. Jacksonville, FL
24. Tulsa, OK
25. Fresno, CA - NO, the Central Valley is not all the same; Sacramento is a lot Cooler than Fresno...in more ways than Weather.
26. Jackson, MS
27. Savannah, GA
28. Montgomery, AL
29. Nashville, TN
30. Columbia, SC
31. Oklahoma City, OK
32. Raleigh, NC
33. St Louis, MO
34. Birmingham, AL
35. Huntsville, AL
36. Richmond, VA
37. Louisville, KY
38. Chattanooga, TN
39. Washington DC
40. Wichita, KS
41. Omaha, NE
42. Norfolk, VA
43. Springfield, MO
44. Virginia Beach, VA
45. Atlanta, GA
46. Greensboro, NC
47. Charlotte, NC
48. Philadelphia, PA
49. Albuquerque, NM
50. Knoxville, TN
51. Columbus, OH
52. Kansas City, MO
53. Evansville, IN
54. Lexington, KY
55. Wilkes-Barre, PA
56. Cincinnati, OHb
57. Harrisburg, PA
58. Baltimore, MD
59. Charleston, WV
60. Springfield, IL
61. Moline, IL
62. New York, NY
63. Roanoke, VA
64. Indianapolis, IN
65. Des Moines, IA
66. Bristol, TN
67. Salt Lake City, UT
68. Detroit, MI
69. Sacramento, CA - Coastal Californians don't know that much of the nation is hotter than Sacramento. Sac's summer nights and mornings are near as cool as Portland and near as Cool as Porlamd in more ways than weather.
70. Chicago, IL
71. Dayton, OH
72. Toledo, OH
73. Cleveland, OH
74. Minneapolis, MN
75. Hartford, CT
76. South Bend, IN
77. Syracuse, NY
78. Providence, RI
79. Pittsburgh, PA
80. Albany, NY
81. Buffalo, NY
82. Asheville, NC
83. Grand Rapids, MI
84. Milwaukee, WI
85. Rochester, NY
86. Boston, MA
87. Denver, CO
88. Madison, WI
89. Flint, MI
90. Youngstown, OH
91. Burlington, VT
92. Los Angeles, CA
93. Green Bay, WI
94. San Diego, CA
95. Colorado Springs, CO
96. Portland, ME
97. Portland, OR
98. Spokane, WA
99. Seattle, WA
100. San Francisco, CA - SF is the coldest city in the USA in the summer; they completely freak-out when they come to Sacramento which has a normal warm-hot summer.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-03-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 11-03-2015, 10:05 AM

100 posts, read 189,540 times
Quote:
TOP-100 SWEATIEST CITIES IN AMERICA - Summer weather.
This list of summer averages/indexes perfectly supports what I've been saying all along: Sacramento is cooler and more comfortable than the rest of the Central Valley and half the nation---really more than 2/3 the nation.

Yah, I think we underestimate and downplay how GREAT Sacramento weather really is.

1. Phoenix, AZ - When it's 85F at 7am in the morning; it's 59F and 26 degrees Cooler in Sacramento on your morning run.
2. Las Vegas, NV
3. Tucson, AZ
4. Dallas, TX
5. Corpus Christi, TX
6. San Antonio, TX
7. Austin, TX - When it still 95F with oppressive humid heat at midnight in Austin, its' 70F in Sacramento with cool wind coming from the Delta/Coast.
8. Shreveport, LA
9. Houston, TX
10. Waco, TX
11. Miami, FL
12. New Orleans, LA
13. Orlando, FL
14. Tampa, FL
15. West Palm Beach, FL
16. Honolulu, HI
17. El Paso, TX
18. Memphis, TN
19. Fort Myers, FL
20. Baton Rouge, LA
21. Little Rock, AR
22. Mobile, AL
23. Jacksonville, FL
24. Tulsa, OK
25. Fresno, CA - NO, the Central Valley is not all the same; Sacramento is a lot Cooler than Fresno...in more ways than Weather.
26. Jackson, MS
27. Savannah, GA
28. Montgomery, AL
29. Nashville, TN
30. Columbia, SC
31. Oklahoma City, OK
32. Raleigh, NC
33. St Louis, MO
34. Birmingham, AL
35. Huntsville, AL
36. Richmond, VA
37. Louisville, KY
38. Chattanooga, TN
39. Washington DC
40. Wichita, KS
41. Omaha, NE
42. Norfolk, VA
43. Springfield, MO
44. Virginia Beach, VA
45. Atlanta, GA
46. Greensboro, NC
47. Charlotte, NC
48. Philadelphia, PA
49. Albuquerque, NM
50. Knoxville, TN
51. Columbus, OH
52. Kansas City, MO
53. Evansville, IN
54. Lexington, KY
55. Wilkes-Barre, PA
56. Cincinnati, OHb
57. Harrisburg, PA
58. Baltimore, MD
59. Charleston, WV
60. Springfield, IL
61. Moline, IL
62. New York, NY
63. Roanoke, VA
64. Indianapolis, IN
65. Des Moines, IA
66. Bristol, TN
67. Salt Lake City, UT
68. Detroit, MI
69. Sacramento, CA - Coastal Californians don't know that much of the nation is hotter than Sacramento. Sac's summer nights and mornings are near as cool as Portland and near as Cool as Porlamd in more ways than weather.
70. Chicago, IL
71. Dayton, OH
72. Toledo, OH
73. Cleveland, OH
74. Minneapolis, MN
75. Hartford, CT
76. South Bend, IN
77. Syracuse, NY
78. Providence, RI
79. Pittsburgh, PA
80. Albany, NY
81. Buffalo, NY
82. Asheville, NC
83. Grand Rapids, MI
84. Milwaukee, WI
85. Rochester, NY
86. Boston, MA
87. Denver, CO
88. Madison, WI
89. Flint, MI
90. Youngstown, OH
91. Burlington, VT
92. Los Angeles, CA
93. Green Bay, WI
94. San Diego, CA
95. Colorado Springs, CO
96. Portland, ME
97. Portland, OR
98. Spokane, WA
99. Seattle, WA
100. San Francisco, CA - SF is the coldest city in the USA in the summer; they completely freak-out when they come to Sacramento which has a normal warm-hot summer.
Your using top 100 "Sweatiest" cities. That really means cities with "humid" heat rather than Dry heat. That why most of top 100 cities are from the south and other humid parts of the country.

CA doesn't have many cities on the list. It's mainly dry heat. I didn't sweat in Phoenix and Las Vegas my skin just burned because It's just that dry. Im not saying you can't sweat in dry heat, Im saying people sweat much more in humid heat ( as your list shows most cities in south and other humid regions of the u.s.)

Sac's weather is really like the Inland Empire. It is bareable and Im used to it doesn't bother me much.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by â„¢WestCoast Reppinâ„¢ View Post
Your using top 100 "Sweatiest" cities. That really means cities with "humid" heat rather than Dry heat. That why most of top 100 cities are from the south and other humid parts of the country.

CA doesn't have many cities on the list. It's mainly dry heat. I didn't sweat in Phoenix and Las Vegas my skin just burned because It's just that dry. Im not saying you can't sweat in dry heat, Im saying people sweat much more in humid heat ( as your list shows most cities in south and other humid regions of the u.s.)

Good points, I describe the humidity in Sacramento as the PERFECT humidity. Phoenix and Vegas are so incredible hot that their dry heat doesn't help much and it's Too Dry - 2-5% humidity equals cracked skin, nose bleeds. Top it off, they don't have large shade trees to block out that omnipresent Sun, like Sacramento's trees (pray the drought ends).

Sacramento, on the other hand, averages 15-20% humidity at the hottest time of day, NOT Bone Dry, but NOT humid either.

Much of the nation hovers in the low 90's to low 100's factoring heat index with high humidity and uncomfortable dew points. Sacramento Averages Cooler than that by 10 degrees with Very Comfortable Dew points with perfect humidity.

Note that Phoenix has both Bone Dry humidity in the first half of the summer, and in the later half of the summer it's Humid (above 50%) and it's still in the 100's.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:12 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
You obviously do not know how to take advantage of Sacramento Great summer mornings. I know plenty of Sacramentans that do including me.

Sacramento summers mornings from dawn until noon, there are tons of runners and active people doing outdoor exercise. Gardening too is great during this time and there are plenty of gardens in Sacramento.

Another thing coastal Californians including San Franciscans never mention is that Sacramento weather is near identical to Bay Area weather 5-6 months out of the year. And Sacramento Spring weather is better than San Francisco spring weather.

LoL please just stop. Yea I don't take advantage of the morning because I have to go to work and I like to sleep in on the weekends after enjoying a night out. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSooooooooooo do most people...

So unless you want to get up at the buttcrack of dawn just to go for a jog, Sac summers can be really miserable during the day.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
LoL please just stop. Yea I don't take advantage of the morning because I have to go to work and I like to sleep in on the weekends after enjoying a night out. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSooooooooooo do most people...

So unless you want to get up at the buttcrack of dawn just to go for a jog, Sac summers can be really miserable during the day.
OH PUHLAZEEZ, get a life, exercise in the morning like a lot of people do. Some of them exercise run/walk in the evening or night too. . My Sacramento park is packed at 7 in the morning and 7 at night in the summer, actually all year long.

I go out at night in the summer , too, and often by 8-10pm it is quite pleasant in Sacramento temperature wise, and it's even cooler when the bars close.

The reality is you can garden, work-out, complete outside work in cool to comfortable temperatures in Sacramento from 6am-Noon (58F-80F).(Summer)

In Phoenix or Vegas it's (82F-100F) 6am-Noon that's; 20-30 degrees hotter than Sac; in Austin (78F-95F) 6am-Noon with oppressive humidity and very uncomfortable dew points).

Often in Sacramento you have a cool pacific delta wind at your back on your morning run and it's 59F, while in Austin it's a miserable sticky hot oppressive 82F on your morning 7am run. Austin is often 23 degrees hotter than Sacramento on a typical summer morning.

Often in Sacramento, you can turn-off your A/C around 8-10pm. Whereas; in Phoenix, Vegas or Austin and 2/3 of the nations majors cities you pretty much need to run that A/C all night long. You RARELY have to run your A/C in Sacramento City all night.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-06-2015 at 11:43 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 10:46 PM

89 posts, read 132,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
As a Sac native I can tell you the summers are unbearable compared with anywhere in the country. In Sacramento there is no winter or fall. You have an incredibly long summer extending from May til the end of October where it will be anywhere from 95-105 degrees daily.

The Sacramento homers will tell you it "cools off" in the evening and the temps are "lower than portland." Yea that's true if you happen to be awake at 2 am... otherwise for most people during the working hours the temps are quite unbearable.

Definitely Long Beach tops Sac... much better weather and much more to do. You will find no other "metro" in the country with so little to do as you will find in Sac. It's truly one of the most boring, lifeless cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California