Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Cost of living in CA especially in SF and L.A has always been high or higher .
You are right that politicians are just trying to take the easy way out . It's so easy to just sign a law saying the minimum wage will now be $15 hr.
It's harder to fix what is causing it as you said .

In my opinion though I don't think we should be focusing on making California affordable for anyone that wants to live here . If people have the goal of working a minimum wage job long term there are many better places they could live and struggle less or need less welfare than If they live in CA.

It's one thing if you are living with family and working min wage while going to school to eventually get a higher paying job .
It's another if you are someone with kids and no education and trying to work a min wage job to support a family .

The message from the leaders of course is politically correct . They tell people,"we are going to make California affordable for everyone "

I had read that the Mayor of L.A said this . "We won't stop until L.A is affordable for everyone "
That's just never going to happen so they aren't being honest .
They are politicians what do you expect??? Truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 01:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
I do worry about poor people lacking money for the most basic things. But I wonder if a better solution would be maintaining an $8 to $12 minimum wage and then adding govt. funded Universal Basic Income? Seems like the take home pay would go up but with far fewer job losses.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I do worry about poor people lacking money for the most basic things. But I wonder if a better solution would be maintaining an $8 to $12 minimum wage and then adding govt. funded Universal Basic Income? Seems like the take home pay would go up but with far fewer job losses.
Remember the State gets money for unemployment and the US Govt gets SS, Medicare and taxes on the wage increase. With State Universal Basic Income, where does the money come from.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:38 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
An employer sets a salary level to fit the ability of the employee and the needs of his business. Entry level or first time jobs are not intended to support anyone just get them started. That is reality. Now some employers, like your truly, never have paid minimum wage, always above it. BUT the starting positions needed more than a job at a fast food place, or similar low paying job does.

Am employer looks for an employee that can do the job which is why teachers, nurses, engineers make more than a fast food worker.
Sorry but it's all a negotiation. Employer tries to give the lowest wage that they can get away with it, while the employee tries to maximize it.

In case you didn't notice, the deplorables in the MBA schools--the same people who proposed charging for tire air at the gas station--are proposing an eventual decrease down to the minimum wage (or close to it) in all professions. This will help CEOs increase profits in their quarterly statements and will be richly rewarded with a share of the savings as a "commission" (and the rest back to the shareholders as dividends). Earned income will still be taxed at 35% and the dividends will still be taxed at 15%. Who knew hard work doesn't pay?

Depressing wages will require collusion between the CEOs in any given industry. Normally they would be punished, but a business-friendly administration and Congress is in power. Kudos is if the state is also business-friendly.

Quote:
No one should subsidize low paying employers. Who said anyone should? No one ever subsidized me and I started at minimum wage and worked up and made more as I improved my skills and finally started my first business. Been doing well ever since.
Where are the anti-Medicare fraud hucksters when you need them? Walmart got caught in Maryland using Medicare as their employee provided health plan. The company paid them just below the threshold so they would qualify and managers were helping new employees with signing up.

That's the reason I have boycotted Walmart! I don't want my taxes raised.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Sorry but it's all a negotiation. Employer tries to give the lowest wage that they can get away with it, while the employee tries to maximize it.

In case you didn't notice, the deplorables in the MBA schools--the same people who proposed charging for tire air at the gas station--are proposing an eventual decrease down to the minimum wage (or close to it) in all professions. This will help CEOs increase profits in their quarterly statements and will be richly rewarded with a share of the savings as a "commission" (and the rest back to the shareholders as dividends). Earned income will still be taxed at 35% and the dividends will still be taxed at 15%. Who knew hard work doesn't pay?

Depressing wages will require collusion between the CEOs in any given industry. Normally they would be punished, but a business-friendly administration and Congress is in power. Kudos is if the state is also business-friendly.

Where are the anti-Medicare fraud hucksters when you need them? Walmart got caught in Maryland using Medicare as their employee provided health plan. The company paid them just below the threshold so they would qualify and managers were helping new employees with signing up.

That's the reason I have boycotted Walmart! I don't want my taxes raised.
It is all a negotiation. Employees can refuse a low paying job. If enough did the pay would go up. In CA and a few other States Illegals will work for any level of pay and that is part of the problem as it pulls wages down. The the foreign workers who come in from primarily India at a lower pay than the other skilled workers with degrees from the US and the citizens get turned away. That has been going on through a LOT of administrations of both parties. CEO's do not get a raise of their sales go down because no one will do the work and no one can afford their goods. The problem is not just the businesses, some at least, but the politicians in both parties that are owned by them. Walmart has been doing this long before the current administration as both parties are part of the scam. The problem is politicians are elected on feel good issues, not the truly important ones. Imagine a Liberal voting for someone who is against Gay marriage, abortion and illegal immigration, but wants a decent wage law, as an example.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:00 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,227,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is all a negotiation. Employees can refuse a low paying job. If enough did the pay would go up. In CA and a few other States Illegals will work for any level of pay and that is part of the problem as it pulls wages down. The the foreign workers who come in from primarily India at a lower pay than the other skilled workers with degrees from the US and the citizens get turned away. That has been going on through a LOT of administrations of both parties. CEO's do not get a raise of their sales go down because no one will do the work and no one can afford their goods. The problem is not just the businesses, some at least, but the politicians in both parties that are owned by them. Walmart has been doing this long before the current administration as both parties are part of the scam. The problem is politicians are elected on feel good issues, not the truly important ones. Imagine a Liberal voting for someone who is against Gay marriage, abortion and illegal immigration, but wants a decent wage law, as an example.
The Welfare State enables employers to socialize their costs onto taxpayers, and that's wrong. You can't blame the employers for offering what the market will bear, when the government has interfered in the market with its commie economics.

People that complain about Walmart exploiting workers need to understand they are only responding to the inputs from the market. The government has created that market where welfare recipients and other "low-income" people will accept the low wages Walmart offers, because they are being subsidized by taxpayer dollars.

The problem isn't Walmart. They didn't create this situation - the government did that, by distorting the economics that determines whether a worker can "afford" these wages. If they could not afford to, with the taxpayer's help, they would command a higher wage.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
The Welfare State enables employers to socialize their costs onto taxpayers, and that's wrong. You can't blame the employers for offering what the market will bear, when the government has interfered in the market with its commie economics.

People that complain about Walmart exploiting workers need to understand they are only responding to the inputs from the market. The government has created that market where welfare recipients and other "low-income" people will accept the low wages Walmart offers, because they are being subsidized by taxpayer dollars.

The problem isn't Walmart. They didn't create this situation - the government did that, by distorting the economics that determines whether a worker can "afford" these wages. If they could not afford to, with the taxpayer's help, they would command a higher wage.
Once the Gov't gets involved in paying or supporting anything, the cost goes up.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:59 PM

26,737 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Self-order kiosks coming to Subway. Who needs a cashier?

Subway introduces new restaurant design

https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/17/subwa...osk-apple-pay/

Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And then robots that make the sandwiches

Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
A sandwich maker should not make $15/hour, unless that sandwich maker owns or manages the business.

Minimum wage is intended to be a threshhold from which one works up in terms of pay and responsibility, not a comfortably "pay net." And yet, coinciding with this artificial increase in wages, so, too, will the cost of living go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California