Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:53 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,641 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the right will have no problem when Trump privatizes Medicare on our elderly and forces them to pay the higher prices that our private health care system has for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:22 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
When the supply increases the demand will drop correspondingly. Unless you believe that demand mirrors supply instead of having an inverse relationship.

So you are fine hurting the younger generation, who havnt had entire life to save and earn, instead of having an equitable tax system.
Supply growing depends on land available and such is not the case now. There is minimal room for new developments and the ones that go it are million dollar homes, as they sell. The only real lower cost are Condos and such as they build more homes on less land. Even that supply cannot keep up with demand.

Do you really think developers will build more homes so the price drops????????? We already know they won't as in the crash in the last decade they....... stopped building as the prices .......... dropped.

Do you feel it is OK for older people to lose their homes so younger ones can buy them?

The younger generation faces some of the same challenges the older one did as most of the older generation did not buy homes when they were young. I bought my first home in my mid 30's and that was in Idaho, not CA. Couldn't afford CA then. I bought my 1st CA home when I was in my 50's and I am not whining about it.

It is harder now in OC, LA the bay area, but not in other locations even in CA. It is what it is.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I'm sure the right will have no problem when Trump privatizes Medicare on our elderly and forces them to pay the higher prices that our private health care system has for the rest of us.
Don't bet on it.

Now the left might as it would drive even more to want single payer Gov't insurance that is cheaper in cost and quality.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:56 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Supply growing depends on land available and such is not the case now. There is minimal room for new developments and the ones that go it are million dollar homes, as they sell. The only real lower cost are Condos and such as they build more homes on less land. Even that supply cannot keep up with demand.

Do you really think developers will build more homes so the price drops????????? We already know they won't as in the crash in the last decade they....... stopped building as the prices .......... dropped.

Do you feel it is OK for older people to lose their homes so younger ones can buy them?

The younger generation faces some of the same challenges the older one did as most of the older generation did not buy homes when they were young. I bought my first home in my mid 30's and that was in Idaho, not CA. Couldn't afford CA then. I bought my 1st CA home when I was in my 50's and I am not whining about it.

It is harder now in OC, LA the bay area, but not in other locations even in CA. It is what it is.
Developers would love to build new homes, it is local/state leaders that prevent it from happening. Supply isn't only determined by new housing growth. Fun fact, the Houston metro area has added more units of housing than the entire state of California over the last ten years.

I feel ok with anyone who cannot afford something (sans the most basic needs, being in a million dollar house isn't a basic need) not being subsidized by other tax payers.

Most of the older generation bought housing in their early twenties.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
As I said if you eliminated prop 13 and raised taxes on long time homeowners a small amount each year there is absolutely no reason to believe that there would be any measurable increase in supply. As it is, seniors die every day and their houses are put up for sale, other seniors sell their California home to go live in another state. Forcing higher taxes on long term residents is not going to increase supply enough to impact home prices.

And the system is equitable, everyone pays the same rate, everyone pays tax on what the appraised value of their home WHEN they buy it how in the world is that not equitable?
So link my income tax to my income when I was in high school making $8 an hour. That is what you think is a good idea with prop 13. Tell me how equitable it is?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Developers would love to build new homes, it is local/state leaders that prevent it from happening. Supply isn't only determined by new housing growth. Fun fact, the Houston metro area has added more units of housing than the entire state of California over the last ten years.

I feel ok with anyone who cannot afford something (sans the most basic needs, being in a million dollar house isn't a basic need) not being subsidized by other tax payers.

Most of the older generation bought housing in their early twenties
Nope, not in CA

Old 12-01-2016, 09:41 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Developers would love to build new homes, it is local/state leaders that prevent it from happening.
By stubbornly refusing to create more land that isn't desert, or?

During the bubble ramp-up, housing construction went up like gangbusters - it's just that most of the attractive land has been built on already.

Developers went to Fontana and other places of that ilk, way inland, put down some blacktop and called it a street, put up a couple of McMansions that were immediately sold because credit was dirt cheap, then used the proceedings to start construction of 4 more homes that - didn't sell. Now those 4 unsold homes are graffitied hulks stripped of their plumbing and the couple that were sold right away are at best underwater on their mortgage.

Sure, developers would love it if the city of say, Hermosa Beach, would kindly let them raze bungalows so they could put up some beige multi-tenant row houses, Orange County style, but people who've made it to the point where they can live in Hermosa Beach like to think they have a right to determine what sort of city they want to live in.

At least developers have started making downtown LA livable again, but that's hard compared to slapping up a cookie-cutter row of townhouses.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:15 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
So link my income tax to my income when I was in high school making $8 an hour. That is what you think is a good idea with prop 13. Tell me how equitable it is?
you are just being silly now. Do some research on the structure of property tax in other states, find one you think is more equitable than California's come back with the details of it and we can discuss it.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Do you have any sources Medicare is being privatized?

I've heard this several times since the election and can't find sources.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nope, not in CA
I was one... since a small child my Grandparents instilled the desire to own... they are farmers where the land is everything... only visited us in California once but I was able to spend some summers with them.

Anyway... I was a recent graduate with my engineering degree and worked in Europe on a project... came home and started seriously looking to buy a home... got very discouraged... even though I had been paying into Social Security since age 12... lenders wanted 3 years job experience and 2 years on the same job.

I searched the MLS for least expensive single family homes in the East Bay... Hayward, San Leandro, Castro Valley were not attainable without a mortgage... I had 25% down.

So I started looking in Oakland and I bought the very least expensive single family home listed and paid cash for it... moved in that the first week had already filled a large dumpster... the home was scheduled to be condemned and I had to work fast... fixed windows, painted, cleaned up the yard and that was enough... first big project was a new roof...

Thing is several from my Oakland High School friends were doing the same... so we would trade labor.

My Step Grandfather thought I had just flushed my life savings but did not have the heart to tell me... I was so excited at age 22 to own my own single family home free and clear... still own the home today.

I've posted pictures of it before.... little 600 square feet home on a 25x100 lot built around 1920.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California