Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Actually a friend of mine is going to get back into home building and I am going to suggest the "modest" size house idea to him. Would probably make more per sq ft as well.
The hard costs of building such as permits, utility hookups, planning, design, impact fees remain fairly constant without regard to size...

About the only way to lower cost per square foot in a city like Oakland is to build larger and spread the hard costs over more square feet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 08:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
This was in tongue and cheek to the numerous posts vilifying Prop 13...
Sorry about that, I tend to take things literally unless you tip me off with an emoji lol. Unfortunately after hanging around on these forums some things (not from you by the way) that I would have previously assumed were a joke are not at all meant to be funny

Old 11-28-2016, 08:28 PM

No problem...

I got started on City-Data posting responses to those saying they just bought a home and unfortunately don't have Prop 13... which of course isn't true as all assessable property comes under Prop 13.

I fully intend to 40+ years to be one of the old retired seniors on the block with the lower property tax and for now realize it is my time to pay it forward... the couple I bought my home paid $1200 their last year... the day I bought it went to $8800 and thanks to Prop 13 we now have some predictability projecting forward...

Besides... only 55% voter approval is needed for new school bonds and how hard is that?

Old 11-28-2016, 09:58 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The hard costs of building such as permits, utility hookups, planning, design, impact fees remain fairly constant without regard to size...

About the only way to lower cost per square foot in a city like Oakland is to build larger and spread the hard costs over more square feet...
Yes permits etc are costly but so is land. IF they charged more per sq ft it would till be a reasonable price and make the builder money.
An example picked at random in Aliso Viejo, OC

Price per sq ft: $403.00 The lot is over 7500 sq ft. the house is nearly 1700 sq ft.

Now build 3 ea. 1000 sq ft homes on 2500 sq ft you could build 3 homes on that lot size and cost could still be $403.00 per sq ft, but the total sales would now be nearly twice the cost of the home there now. The city would make more in taxes and yet 3 families could have a SFH.

Now if they charged more it would still be reasonable by comparison.

Perfect example, no, but it is doable in certain areas, but not in every area. I also couldn't find a new build to compare to, but in looking in other areas it can work.It might take some cooperation from the cities, but they would get more in property taxes, etc than they do now as well. This in effect is done with condos and townhouses which are on smaller lots sizes and end up costly less than a SFH, so the idea is not new. The HOA's are the problem there for many who can afford the cost of buying, but not Property taxes and an HOA..

Mind you I could still be wrong.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 AM

My first home was on a 25x100 city lot and my second on 40x40 city lot... they were not unusual and price much less.

Agreed, condos are the most efficient use when it comes to home ownership...

Old 11-29-2016, 08:32 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They, millionaires, usually do not live in the same house they raised their kids in. Plus few have assets in the millions, many are on social security and a small retirement, military, etc.

Many younger people today have far greater income and ... yes they should pay their fair share.
Their house can be worth hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars.

Shouldn't they pay their fair share for the services they receive? Why should they be subsidized by their younger neighbors with much lower net worth?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What does that have to do with old people 'doing the right thing' and moving out of their house? Most old people who own homes in California bought them when they were affordable for the middle class.
They don't have to move out, they just have to pay an equitable tax rate like everyone else.

The government shouldn't be picking winners and loser, if two neighbors have the same value home they should pay the same property taxes. Period. If you think that amount is too high then it should be lowered for all parties.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:53 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
Why californians didn't start a proposition to abolish state income tax? Seems like it would overwhelmingly win. Is it something that is not allowed to be voted on using the propositions system?
California would become like a third world country without the income tax considering the way they spend money.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Their house can be worth hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars.

Shouldn't they pay their fair share for the services they receive? Why should they be subsidized by their younger neighbors with much lower net worth?
You looking at it backwards...

Why should a young person enjoy all the older generation paid for without cost?

This is how I look at it... for simply buying into my older established neighborhood I get to enjoy from day one what my neighbors of 50+ years built/created.

The street and drainage bonds were long ago retired by those that lived there since day one.

Part of the problem is too few young people are willing or realize they need to do their part...

In 40 or 50 years their kids will say the same about them when a gallon of milk is $40...

Old 11-29-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
They don't have to move out, they just have to pay an equitable tax rate like everyone else.

The government shouldn't be picking winners and loser, if two neighbors have the same value home they should pay the same property taxes. Period. If you think that amount is too high then it should be lowered for all parties.

Please understand that under the law everyone in the same neighborhood DOES pay the same Tax Rate...

This has been affirmed by the United States Supreme Court when it considered if Prop 13 violated the equal treatment under the law...

I pay my Statewide 1% tax rate just as my neighbor who has lived in her home 55 years... we also pay the same local taxes...

The rate is the same for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California