Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:27 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times

Advertisements

I'm just going to put my ignorance out for the world. I thought manufactured homes were just tide cookie cutter houses that all look alike. I'm beginning to think I was wrong.
We're planning on coming out for a week in April. I might come out in June with the kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 11:35 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
I'll address the cities that I'm familiar with, either because I lived there or spent significant time there because I had family or business there.

Spring Valley...quite a few years ago, it was a peaceful, semi-rural area. Now, there is a lot of crime & gang violence, has been that way for quite awhile. I would not want to raise children there...too bad, it used to be nice...long ago.

Oceanside. Probably the least expensive beach town in San Diego County, but getting pricey. Again, stay out of certain areas, especially east O'side, near back gate of Camp Pendleton, due to gangs (shootings) & other violence. Neighborhoods in O'side that would be safer are Rancho del Oro, Ivey Ranch. O'side public schools are not that good.

Oxnard. A beach town that has not had a good rep, for the same reasons listed above, but has become more upscale (and pricier) in recent years. It does have some nice beaches. Maybe someone who currently lives in Oxnard could comment. There are regular posters in the Ventura County forum who live there. I would suggest Camarillo, the town next to Oxnard. It's where my sister raised her family...low crime, pretty good schools, but, again, has become quite pricey.

Lancaster, & neighboring Palmdale, are in the Mojave Desert. It is not an attractive part of the desert, & very hot in summer. Those towns grew when other areas of LA County became unaffordble, & people bought houses there that were cheaper & commutable (sort of) to their jobs in LA. Again, crime & gang issues.

Regarding manufactured homes, they are not that prevalent in SoCal as in other areas of the country. I know that they depreciate quickly & it's often difficult to obtain financing, & if you do, not at the best interest rate. Mobile homes in SoCal are mostly in parks, many designated for seniors only.

As others have suggested, look into Temecula or its neighboring town, Murrieta. These towns have low crime, good schools & are family oriented. We have friends in Temecula who have long commutes to their jobs in San Diego, but bought there because they wanted their son to grow up there, & he is thriving. It is also still "sort of" affordable.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:20 PM

275 posts, read 421,320 times
I know this is old but perhaps thiws can help others in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Lancaster, & neighboring Palmdale, are in the Mojave Desert. It is not an attractive part of the desert, & very hot in summer. Those towns grew when other areas of LA County became unaffordble, & people bought houses there that were cheaper & commutable (sort of) to their jobs in LA. Again, crime & gang issues.
Yes hot in the summer and cold in the winter. And the mountains keep away most of the rain and snow. One factor limiting the growth of the area is Edwards AFB; they can't make a big airport on the Mojave Desert because of the AFB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Regarding manufactured homes, they are not that prevalent in SoCal as in other areas of the country.
They should be, especially where fires are more likely. My impression is that manufactured homes would be less likely to burn up like the hundreds (I think thousands) of homes that burned in Paradise, CA.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Thank you all so much. My uncle has suggested that we concentrate on Temecula & Murrieta. He said that those are most affordable, only 45 minutes from beaches and have amazing schools.
Honestly I'm overwhelmed. It's been over 10 years since we last moved and I'm trying not to freak out.
Your uncle is absolutely correct. We lived in Poway and La Jolla before retiring in Murrieta 17 years ago. Murrieta/Temecula is really like one city. They have excellent schools, very low crime rate, and a great place to live.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:06 AM

275 posts, read 421,320 times
It has been two and a half years so Marcia has had time to decide where to move to and if it was a good decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California