Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 03:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
How is giving people "affordable access" to something that is by nature costly, NOT a handout?

Do you lefties even think about the words you use? Or is just regurgitation of whatever you heard Madcow or Pelosi or those dudes on The View spout off?
Perhaps you should read the article instead of flying off at the mouth.
Quote:
You overlooked the most obvious - that we are robbed to pay for free care to tens of millions of invaders from the Third World, who are all mooching "free" health care off our system. That's why your x-ray costs $600 instead of $60.
Scapegoating is not a viable solution. Getting rid of one group of people is not going to magically decrease healthcare costs. We need viable solutions instead Trumpisms.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:12 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Quote:
How is giving people "affordable access" to something that is by nature costly, NOT a handout?

Do you lefties even think about the words you use? Or is just regurgitation of whatever you heard Madcow or Pelosi or those dudes on The View spout off?
In the developed world affordable health care is no more a handout than access to a public library, or public schools or the police, fire departments. All other major advanced capitalist countries, the UK, France, Germany, Japan etc have well-established national health services.
A ride in an ambulance shouldn't be the cost of a long haul international airfare. The US is the outlier.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:08 AM

882 posts, read 688,916 times
"In the developed world"...sure. The United States is in the developed world. Last I checked, we were more economically advanced and technologically advanced than just about everyone (which is the definition of the "developed world"). Just because you don't agree with the fact that we don't have socialized medicine does not mean we are not in the "developed world"

I'm curious, Is this "developed world" you speak of one that financially rapes the Middle Class with excessive taxation?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:43 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
In the developed world affordable health care is no more a handout than access to a public library, or public schools or the police, fire departments. All other major advanced capitalist countries, the UK, France, Germany, Japan etc have well-established national health services.

A ride in an ambulance shouldn't be the cost of a long haul international airfare. The US is the outlier.
Thank you. You said it so much better than I could have.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:55 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We don't all benefit from taking money from many and giving it to a few.
Where do you get the idea that we are "giving it" to a "few"? Are you speaking of people who are eligible for Medicaid?

Quote:
People who needed emergency coverage still got it before Obamacare.
At huge costs to the rest of us. Those costs are obviously built into our premiums.

Quote:
The problem with all the big government pro Obamacare types is that they never do anything that actually reduces costs.
Allowing people access to health care on a regular basis so that when they need medical intervention, they can receive it, reduces overall medical costs in the long run. The ear infection in the child is treated with antibiotics so he doesn't later begin to lose his hearing and require expensive medical treatment. The adult with high cholesterol is treated with lower cost interventions so he doesn't later end up hospitalized with a stroke.

Quote:
If medical care was more affordable then people wouldn't need so much assistance.
Same goes with education.
People need assistance with K-12 public education? Property taxes pay for that, regardless if the property owner has children of those ages.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Where do you get the idea that we are "giving it" to a "few"? Are you speaking of people who are eligible for Medicaid?

At huge costs to the rest of us. Those costs are obviously built into our premiums.

Allowing people access to health care on a regular basis so that when they need medical intervention, they can receive it, reduces overall medical costs in the long run. The ear infection in the child is treated with antibiotics so he doesn't later begin to lose his hearing and require expensive medical treatment. The adult with high cholesterol is treated with lower cost interventions so he doesn't later end up hospitalized with a stroke.

People need assistance with K-12 public education? Property taxes pay for that, regardless if the property owner has children of those ages.
Please tell me about how costs have gone down since obamacare was implemented?

I would also love to hear more about how people have worse outcomes when on Medicare than when they have no insurance at all.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
"In the developed world"...sure. The United States is in the developed world. Last I checked, we were more economically advanced and technologically advanced than just about everyone (which is the definition of the "developed world"). Just because you don't agree with the fact that we don't have socialized medicine does not mean we are not in the "developed world"

I'm curious, Is this "developed world" you speak of one that financially rapes the Middle Class with excessive taxation?
Loaded language doesn't help your argument. At the end of the day across party lines people are beginning to want some type of universal healthcare. Maybe not Obamacare but some type of universal healthcare.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Loaded language doesn't help your argument. At the end of the day across party lines people are beginning to want some type of universal healthcare. Maybe not Obamacare but some type of universal healthcare.
There's nothing loaded at all about my language. He erroneously used a term ("developed world") and I corrected him on the meaning. And if you can find any legitimate survey that specifically spells out the cost in taxes for Universal Healthcare, you might be on to something. Unfortunately, other than cherry picked examples, people will pay more. The UK, Germany, and France (all countries with higher population counts so we can do an apples-to-apples comparison to the U.S.), do indeed financially rape their Middle Class. If I were to look at median income for most families in Metropolitan cities in CA, I suspect we would be in the mid $80k range. A cursory glance at taxation in the UK, would show that income above $46k gets taxed at 40% (a 15% increase from the U.S.)...a nice $6k jump in taxation. And it gets better. Then they have a 20% value added tax (so subtract out that CA tax you'd be paying) and you can pay roughly 12%-13% more. Sound like a financial raping to me. Anyway, looking forward to your source that covers that in a question and people still respond that they want this snake oil.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
There's nothing loaded at all about my language. He erroneously used a term ("developed world") and I corrected him on the meaning. And if you can find any legitimate survey that specifically spells out the cost in taxes for Universal Healthcare, you might be on to something. Unfortunately, other than cherry picked examples, people will pay more. The UK, Germany, and France (all countries with higher population counts so we can do an apples-to-apples comparison to the U.S.), do indeed financially rape their Middle Class. If I were to look at median income for most families in Metropolitan cities in CA, I suspect we would be in the mid $80k range. A cursory glance at taxation in the UK, would show that income above $46k gets taxed at 40% (a 15% increase from the U.S.)...a nice $6k jump in taxation. And it gets better. Then they have a 20% value added tax (so subtract out that CA tax you'd be paying) and you can pay roughly 12%-13% more. Sound like a financial raping to me. Anyway, looking forward to your source that covers that in a question and people still respond that they want this snake oil.
Do you really not notice the term you are using to provoke an emotional reaction. Hint it starts with an 'r'.

And I don't deny that countries with single payer healthcare pay more in taxes. Here however running up the national debt may be the only option to sastisfy the increasing demand of universal healthcare. This seems to no longer be a partisan issue.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Do you really not notice the term you are using to provoke an emotional reaction. Hint it starts with an 'r'.

And I don't deny that countries with single payer healthcare pay more in taxes. Here however running up the national debt may be the only option to sastisfy the increasing demand of universal healthcare. This seems to no longer be a partisan issue.
Don't know anything about provoking an emotional response (feel free to point out any inaccuracies). I did notice you can't provide the proof on your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California