Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 20,019 times

Advertisements

I felt obliged to give some feedback on this city....since we had problems finding detailed information on this city, as we relocated to the area a while back, from out of state.

To the point: NEVER move to Arroyo Grande, California. (Zip: 93420).
The area is a conflicted soup of weirdos, snobs, and a tremendous class-division...you will either have the student, poor families or wealthy ranchers and their families. We moved here with small children, and it has not been a nice experience. The area is EXTREMELY over-priced still on rental of houses, the grocery stores and over-priced on most items (unless you can shop at Trader Joe's and go to 5 different places every time you shop). Your money will not go far here...there is great scenery, with beaches and the ocean (although it never really gets warm! Quite cold water)....stick with going here for vacations only. (And even then I would rather recommend Southern CA).
You will find that 98% of people use Property Management Companies to rent out houses.....don't know if that's because they are lazy or just ignorant.
Property Mgmt Co's will mess with your life...over-priced fees, rental costs....just overall a bad deal for everybody!
Cost on electricity, water and gas is still pretty high here. You would not think so, considering that most of the year is stays around 60-70 degrees here.....but in a house you will certainly use quite a bit of heating during the winter etc. IT IS NOT CHEAP!
Avoid RURAL areas and houses....they use propane and septic tanks,
and you will get major issues with critters....bugs, large spiders, tarantelas, bobcats, ants (!!!), gophers (you can never grow anything!), squirrels etc.
People will try to get you to move to rural areas to save money....BAD IDEA!
You will also find that shops are spread all over the 5 cities and SLO.....hard to find a place with many options and malls!
Stores and restaurants also love to overcharge you on most items!

BASICS:

If you're used to seasons (i.e. fall, winter, spring, summer), low prices, cheap housing, lots of parks and family fun, many alternatives for shopping, cheap gas, good shopping, easy access to airports and nice people....well, THEN DO NOT MOVE HERE!
Rather think about Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Portland etc.
San Luis Obispo County is ANTI-PROGRESS!! Everybody has told me that and that this is an "old man network".

And yes, you will find NO good jobs here, with mostly crappy tourism related jobs, fruit picking, sales and LOW income jobs overall.

Save your money and dreams for somewhere else.

We're outta here now as a family. These guys can stay here with their
naive lives and illegal fruit-pickers. AG sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 12:15 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Yeah, what he says, stay away from AG. Everything he says is the absolute truth. It is a horrible place to live.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:06 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmax2 View Post
Imagine that. Propane and septic systems in rural areas.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Gee ..... and all this time I thought AG was some place beyond Victimville and Apple Valley. Guess I need to scope out a map more often!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM

On a rainy afternoon, not much to do, so I might as well address his points:

felt obliged to give some feedback on this city....since we had problems finding detailed information on this city, as we relocated to the area a while back, from out of state.

To the point: NEVER move to Arroyo Grande, California. (Zip: 93420).
The area is a conflicted soup of weirdos, snobs, and a tremendous class-division...

Arroyo Grande's motto is, "nice town, normal people" The snobs all live in Cypress Ridge and Trilogy which aren't Arroyo Grande. Class Division in Arroyo Grande like the rest of the country is based largely on orthodontia

you will either have the student, poor families or wealthy ranchers and their families.

Few of which are in Arroyo Grande, the students live with mommy and daddy, the poor families live in Grover City, the wealthy ranchers (he doesn't know much about ranching) the ranchers tend to live, well, on their ranches.

We moved here with small children, and it has not been a nice experience.

Most kids are delighted to live here, my own kids call the area "The Shire" as nothing bad every happens here. Kids here can play soccer, little league, rugby, basketball, roller hockey, ride horses, dirt bikes, atv's, go hiking, camping, fishing, water skiing, mountain biking. It is a kids paradise.

The area is EXTREMELY over-priced still on rental of houses, the grocery stores and over-priced on most items (unless you can shop at Trader Joe's and go to 5 different places every time you shop).

The rental market, like all markets reflect the market, you can't call rentals or house prices over priced, unless no one is renting or buying. Food For Less works for most people, Trader Joe's and milk and meat from Albertsons, not over priced. Fresh Vegies and fruits can be found at the Farmers Market, and at some farms.

Your money will not go far here...there is great scenery, with beaches and the ocean (although it never really gets warm! Quite cold water)....stick with going here for vacations only. (And even then I would rather recommend Southern CA).

Your money will go about as far here as everyone else, house prices may be high, but heating and cooling costs are minimal.

There were numerous days over 100 degrees here for some reason, and a short jaunt east to Lopez gets you out of the fog and into the warm. The ocean is not as warm as socal, socal is not as warm as Mexico, but, the ocean is a lot warmer than Tahoe! One musn't be a weinie about this stuff. I have never heard any of the thousands of kids who swim at Avila and Pismo complain the water was too cold to play in, at least in the summer. Folks surf year round.

You will find that 98% of people use Property Management Companies to rent out houses.....don't know if that's because they are lazy or just ignorant.
Property Mgmt Co's will mess with your life...over-priced fees, rental costs....just overall a bad deal for everybody!

This statement is really bizarre, and is a fair distance from reasonable

Cost on electricity, water and gas is still pretty high here. You would not think so, considering that most of the year is stays around 60-70 degrees here.....but in a house you will certainly use quite a bit of heating during the winter etc. IT IS NOT CHEAP!

Eh? One scarcely needs to heat , or cool in AG Electric and gas usage is 10 to 20 % of most areas in the country.
and you will get major issues with critters....bugs, large spiders, tarantelas,

Yes, by all means avoid propane and septic tanks, here let me tell you why........ oh darn.... I can't think of anything. Aside from ants, there isn't much in Arroyo Grande to bug you (sort of a pun) Spiders eat annoying insects, and tarantulas, don't bother anyone.
bobcats, ants (!!!), gophers (you can never grow anything!), squirrels etc.

You do have to be careful about the vicious man eating Bobcats, gophers (you can never grow anything!) Sure, and that is why there is no commercial farming in Arroyo Grande

People will try to get you to move to rural areas to save money....BAD IDEA!

Another just bizarre statement leaving me dumbfounded.
You will also find that shops are spread all over the 5 cities and SLO.....hard to find a place with many options and malls!

And another, I am baffled,
Stores and restaurants also love to overcharge you on most items!

Guess he never found Taco Loco

BASICS:
If you're used to seasons (i.e. fall, winter, spring, summer), low prices, cheap housing, lots of parks

There are thousands of acres of State Parks nearby, and the National Forest, and great town parks for town people There are seasons, right now it is winter, but around lunch time it was summer.

and family fun, many alternatives for shopping, cheap gas, good shopping, easy access to airports

Again with the "shopping" thing... gawd knows what they mean. A couple of months ago we went to the airport, 15 minutes from AG, and saw airplanes landing and taking off... seemed pretty easy access.

and nice people....well, THEN DO NOT MOVE HERE!

Nice town, normal people

Rather think about Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Portland etc.

Well, if someone prefers Vegas or Phoenix to AG, :smack:

San Luis Obispo County is ANTI-PROGRESS!! Everybody has told me that and that this is an "old man network".

Growth of the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer cells.

And yes, you will find NO good jobs here, with mostly crappy tourism related jobs, fruit picking, sales and LOW income jobs overall.

I dunno, seems like there are reasonable jobs for a little town.. The only fruit grown locally are Avycadys, and some oranges, not much fruit picked in AG.

Save your money and dreams for somewhere else.

We're outta here now as a family. These guys can stay here with their
naive lives and illegal fruit-pickers. AG sucks!

Arroyo Grande is actually a town that has been overtake by intelligents wealthy retirees who made buckets of money elsewhere and then picked the town to grow old in, hardly naive people. and again, back to the fruit pickers, who picks illegal fruit?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,646 times
A lot of random anger, never been to Arroyo Grande, but the OP just seems to have anger in general, not just at AG, ease up

Old 12-05-2010, 08:44 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmax2 View Post
I felt obliged to give some feedback on this city....since we had problems finding detailed information on this city, as we relocated to the area a while back, from out of state.,,,,!
You do know you just described the whole state right. Why do people move here expecting the land of OZ?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 PM

171 posts, read 670,193 times
Compared to the comparable nearby cities, AG is a godsend. Its really actually a nice bedroom community that anyone would be privileged to live in.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:52 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,178 times
Quote:
and you will get major issues with critters....bugs, large spiders, tarantelas, bobcats, ants (!!!), gophers (you can never grow anything!), squirrels etc.
Hey, I am very fond of bobcats, seeing one in the wild is a rare treat, as they tend to be shy and secretive and usually avoid humans. Perhaps I should look into moving to AG?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Facts won't trump beliefs, 20% of Americans prefer beliefs, especially beliefs that reinforce existing prejudices. I give facts, you hate them, doesn't surprise me in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California