Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 13,847 times

Advertisements

She's from there that's why. I'm from Memphis just got out of the navy about 2 years ago.
1)We both want to find a small town that's nice..away from the crime but affordable just outside a
university. (Drivable.) Is there an area next to San Jose State/Fresno State that's affordable like that?

Nothing more than $800, maybe $850 rent

2) And by the way, how selective is San Jose State? I've read Fresno's not all that great.

3) I deliver for Papa John's and currently going to school. She also has a food service type job.
Could I make it out there with approx $800 being California's min wage is $8?

Thanks a bunch, trying to escape the evil clutches of racism and crime that is Memphis..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:20 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,212,047 times
Davis, Humboldt, Sonoma, and Sacramento are a few other options you may want to consider.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,076,934 times
What career fields/educational majors are you considering? Both San Jose State and Fresno State are part of the California State University system so the minimum admission standards are similiar. However, different majors may not be available or have higher requirements at one campus or the other.

I'll only comment in terms of Fresno and leave San Jose for others. BRinSM gave you some good suggestions for other areas also.

Adjacent to Fresno State is the city of Clovis, population about 70,000. It ranks as one of the safest cities in California. Median rents would be in your price range.

You could also find housing in your price range north of the campus inside the city of Fresno.

In terms of crime, Fresno's crime rate has dropped over the last few years. The crime figures now run lower than San Francisco. Like any city though you need to do your research and decide which areas to avoid.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 13,847 times
I see that Fresno has a gang and poverty problem? Also, its a harvest place to grow meth out there. So, I went on the mayor's website and he stresses education to rebuild a community. When I read some stuff on here about Fresno in some random thread, I felt people didn't care about Fresno education or jobs. What's your take on the city?

I including some crime charts from Memphis, San Jose and Fresno just to give you guys an idea what I'm dealing with here. All neutral unbiased info is much appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
I like to move to San Jose. My gf likes Fresno-memphis.jpg   I like to move to San Jose. My gf likes Fresno-san-jose.jpg   I like to move to San Jose. My gf likes Fresno-fresno.jpg  

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,076,934 times
Its been years since I've been to Memphis, I didn't realize the crime numbers had reached that level.

You should also take a look at the crime numbers for Clovis. They are basically at the same level as San Jose.
Clovis, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

For Fresno, the city reached a 43 year low in crime last year. Still higher than most would like but a huge improvement over the problems in the 1990s.
FresnoBee.com: Local: Fresno's crime at 43-year low (broken link)

Much of the reduction is probably related to a focus on the local economy. High unemployment is one cause of crime.

The local business community formed the Fresno Regional Job Initiative to create new jobs. It is made up of business leaders not politicians.

Unemployment was very high in Fresno in the 1990s. It was a 16% annual rate in 1992, but dropped to 8% last year. What needs to be pointed out is during the same time the county grew by 200,000 people, meaning job growth outpaced population growth.

Water techology has been a growth industry around Fresno. The use, movement, and recovery of water could become a critical issue for people everywhere and Fresno is developing into a research and manufacturing center for the field.

Another growth area is in logistics. Many companies are relocating warehouses from the Bay Area and Southern California.

Yes Fresno has negatives, particularly many that existed in the past, but many of the trends have changed. I'm not trying to sell you on this area but help you be informed.

Hopefully you'll get some feedback from others about San Jose. It is an important decision and it sounds like you want to make it work for you.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:17 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,496,644 times
Although i have been away from California for awhile now, i remember the San Jose area being a place of expensive rents. I think Fresno would more likely fit your needs. I think a young couple just starting out could probably afford living in the valley easier than the Bay area. Also, if you go to Fresno you will be only a short drive from Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoya National Parks. GODS COUNTRY!! Good luck to you!
PS--I live 1 hour east of Memphis on Hwy 64. Sorry to see you go!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,770,607 times
San Jose has said to be best of the major cities in California-Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, Fresno.

But, it sounds what you're looking for is Fresno. Fresno is cheaper than San Jose, and has a better college I think. Fresno has about 500,000 population and San Jose has about a million.

Fresno has bad heat, and San Jose not so much. Fresno has bad city infrastucture, but the city is working on that and their downtown. Fresno doesn't have a lot of upscale stores now, but they could some day. Fresno has a worse gang and poverty problem than San Jose, but San Jose has one part of the city that is worse than any part of Fresno.

I hope that info helps.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,359,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
San Jose has said to be best of the major cities in California-Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, Fresno.
That's flattering, but who says this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
but San Jose has one part of the city that is worse than any part of Fresno.
Where would that be? The much fabled eastside? That's nothing compared to some places in this state.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,586,882 times
I agree with Krud. Even "bad east San Jo" isn't all that bad. I've been to the supposed bad areas many, many times and never felt unsafe. Sure the area is primarily blue collar hispanic, but I doubt if you'd get shot just being there.

That being said, San Jose is neither small, nor affordable so Fresno may be what you are looking for.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM

409 posts, read 1,831,096 times
san jose is definitely not what you're looking for. you might also consider Chico which is smaller than Fresno but nicer and has a CSU as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California