Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 11:03 AM

10,355 posts, read 8,581,497 times

Advertisements

I do love the car culture in California. The smog thing is a bit out of control though when it comes to cars that are hardly driven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:03 AM

21,745 posts, read 16,374,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

... have we lost all common sense?
... did we ever have any?

Old 08-07-2018, 11:04 AM

10,355 posts, read 8,581,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The problem is the money collected for roads, etc is not spent as it should. Why make it worse for the tax payers rather than the corrupt and inefficient politicians elected by stupid people?
The roads are not in good shape. Driving from Arizona crossing into California you immediately notice the difference.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,704,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The California state smog dilemma is known worldwide maybe that's the reason why you have to smog your car's.
No... and not all counties in California even require smog testing...

The standard in California was 25 years and then exempt...

Senator Kopp held hearings and evidence was presented the vehicles older than 25 years are statistically insignificant... never the less the legislature changed the rolling exemption 30 years and newer.. fair enough because public hearings and comments taken into account and I attended the hearings.

Not more than two years later... without public comment or input, the Air District froze in perpetuity the rolling exempting to a fixed 1976 and newer...

This is the kind of back room deals that irritate... the old car hobby was promised the change from 25 to 30 was a final tweaking and acknowledge the insignificance of 31 year old vehicles contributing to any smog problems...

So why then are we now testing 42 year old cars on machines and techs that were not even born...

I have had a lot of issues with my Triumph Spitfire... it is factory Dual Carb... the certified Smog Techs look at it and scratch their head... most never seeing a dual carb let alone any Carburetor system...

Smog inspections, if any common sense was employed should be for vehicles that are driven and for vehicles that are fuel injected... with computer plug in testing modules...

Others may simply say good riddance and be gone to those who love to support are auto heritage... but why if these old cars are not a problem...

By the way newer cars are exempt... reason given is newer cars are statistically not a problem... gee... you can use the same logic for a car 5 years and newer but not for a car that is 42 years old.

Same with those having EPA ultra low wood burning stoves with Catalytic Converter... these stoves are NOT a problem... yet on spare the air days the ban is blanket... I've also attended these meetings and the regulators said it is TOO HARD to differentiate between permitted and certified low ultra low compliant stoves and those that are not... again... why does California make this my problem???

Old 08-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I do love the car culture in California. The smog thing is a bit out of control though when it comes to cars that are hardly driven.
At one time I had 23 vehicles licensed and insured and smogged...

It got to the point of California meddling that I went non-op on all but 3... so California has lost a lot of revenue from me...

Some cars only ran from the trailer to the display field and back... and maybe one or two afternoons in a year...

Since I am on cars...

Again... why is California the only State to charge vehicle owners a fee TO NOT OPERATE?

Yes... that is right... if you choose to keep your car parked in your garage... California charges a fee for this?

Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,333,284 times
Folks who don't understand California's emissions standards apparently weren't here back in the 50's and 60's to see LA as one big yellow cloud of smog. My aunt in Reseda would hang diapers on a line, and when she took them down a couple hours later, there would be white marks under the clothes pins, because the diapers had turned yellow in the air. Now imagine that in your lungs 24/7. Also know that in those days, California only had about 15 million people. We have 40 million now.

It seems every generation needs to repeat the same mistakes before they understand why we do some things today, because apparently, no one ever studies history or reads a book.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Folks who don't understand California's emissions standards apparently weren't here back in the 50's and 60's to see LA as one big yellow cloud of smog. My aunt in Reseda would hang diapers on a line, and when she took them down a couple hours later, there would be white marks under the clothes pins, because the diapers had turned yellow in the air. Now imagine that in your lungs 24/7. Also know that in those days, California only had about 15 million people. We have 40 million now.

It seems every generation needs to repeat the same mistakes before they understand why we do some things today, because apparently, no one ever studies history or reads a book.
Yes but I don't live in Los Angeles or anywhere near Los Angeles...

Don't over look all the smoke stack industries such as refineries, manufacturing, smelters, etc... which no longer exist of have been rebuilt, expanded or renovated.

It makes no sense to go after statistically insignificant sources and this is my point.

I do agree that every generation needs to relearn... and this generation needs to relearn common sense...

Old 08-07-2018, 12:35 PM

46,976 posts, read 26,026,789 times
Sounds like some hobbyists are getting caught up in smog problems, and that's a fair gripe. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to implement a low-annual-mileage classic car category. Have to be fairly careful to not leave it open for abuse, though.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes but I don't live in Los Angeles or anywhere near Los Angeles...

Don't over look all the smoke stack industries such as refineries, manufacturing, smelters, etc... which no longer exist of have been rebuilt, expanded or renovated.

It makes no sense to go after statistically insignificant sources and this is my point.

I do agree that every generation needs to relearn... and this generation needs to relearn common sense...
Don't hold your breath. They believe what they hear not what they actually bother to learn about.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:46 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post

I was just reading on the Seattle forum, about a huge smelter that was closed in the 80's (very late, compared to CA), that had what was believed to be the tallest smokestack in the world. It pumped plumes of arsensic and lead toward Seattle, and over the islands in south Puget Sound. In the 90's it was dismantled, and became the subject of an EPA cleanup effort. But even today, people inquiring about moving to the area for the purpose of gardening, or having a hobby farm, or whatever, are cautioned to consult a map of the which areas and neighborhoods still have that residue in the soil.

That was pretty recently that it was dismantled (1990's). And yet, people wonder why we have environmental standards and pollution control.

It was sometime in the 70's, wasn't it, that CA prohibited incineration of household trash. People used to have backyard incinerators, and would burn all their paper trash. Newspapers were recycled, but all the packaging and other paper waste a household generates used to be incinerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California