Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 01:40 AM

45 posts, read 51,069 times

Advertisements

I think in CA you are so busy that you don't have time to think what are you paying.

Just crazy. Move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 12:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardnervilleNV View Post
I think in CA you are so busy that you don't have time to think what are you paying.

Just crazy. Move out.
What good is a cheaper house if its not as good as living here?

Old 07-27-2018, 12:58 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Needles, Barstow, Blythe, El Centro and Ridgecrest are cheap. But they are all essentially "border towns" on the far-periphery of the state.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Needles, Barstow, Blythe, El Centro and Ridgecrest are cheap. But they are all essentially "border towns" on the far-periphery of the state.
Ridgecrest is actually pretty centrally located; it's not near any border of California. I wouldn't want to live there, though -- too hot and dry!

Old 07-27-2018, 01:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I have no idea why it is so expensive.

I think this weekend I will go over to the beach, sit in the sand, drink a cold drink, and contemplate why it cost so much to live here. I have tried that before but for some reason I forget why I am there. I get distracted easily. I tell my wife that it is the dolphins surfing in the shoreline, or the many women playing beach volleyball, although I have heard that sometimes guys play, I have not seen any guys playing. But then, I think I mentioned, I am easily distracted.

It could be the surfing or sailing opportunities that are here, or the deep sea fishing in the area. I do love the view of the ocean with the Channel Islands in the distance, and the Santa Barbara Channel to the North West. Also love the view of the mountains and hillsides that run from inland stopping at the shoreline.

Maybe it is the weather. Here on the coast we normally have a mild temperature and the humidity is normally under 60% which is nice, although today it is over 60%. I can't speak for all of California but I do know my little part of it.

Along with that mild temperature is the realization that I don't have to turn on the Air conditioning and even if I wanted to turn it on, our house does not have air conditioning. Our electric bill hovers around $50 a month all year long.

Could be my job that keeps me here. My wife and I both work for the same hospital and plan on retiring from that hospital. I don't know of too many places that are as rewarding and enjoyable to work at. I love my job and plan on being here another 20 years. The pay is not too bad either.

Maybe it is the fact that we have so many amazing places near by. Los Angeles is close, Malibu is down the road, Santa Barbara is up the road. Plenty of amusement parks, museums, USC is maybe an hour away. I am a season ticket holder and love going to the games. In Los Angeles we have different districts, fashion district, flower district. Almost anything you want to get, you can get it cheaply in one of those commercial districts. I bought a new designer suit for $60 not too long ago. Same exact suit would have cost $500 at a regular retail store.

Anyway, I digress, what was the question? If you remember I am easily distracted.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Was that type of response to me really necessary?
Why do some posters seem to enjoy attacking "nice" people?
It wasn't "mean" or "an attack" - just the simple truth. It is expensive because people will (and do) pay that much - supply and demand. It's a basic tenet of economics. If people weren't willing to pay that much to live here, the prices would be lower.

If you understand that, you shouldn't need to ask the question. If you don't understand how it works, pick up a book on intro to economic theory. It's simple and straightforward; it is one of the most basic theories of economics.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,947,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Every where you look in California - North, South, inland, etc. is so expensive!!! Why???
Not really... Your title is misleading and confusing. There are new homes starting as low as $213,000 in Tulare, CA by DR Horton Express.

New Homes in Montecito | Tulare, California | D.R. Horton

The cheapest place to live in California is Trona, CA, as low as $19,000 (real house, not mobile).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...4_rect/10_zm/?

In my opinion, Merced, CA is the next fastest growing city in California, due to UC Merced university here and other economic driven factors. Don't miss this next real estate boom here.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:53 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,947,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I would remove El Centro, CA, due to popularity of Yuma, AZ and baby boomers retiring here, jacking up home prices.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:15 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,131,747 times
Cathedral City, Indio, Desert Hot Springs, Coachella, Banning, Beaumont, San Jacinto, Hemet, Perris, Adelanto, Apple Valley, Victorville, Hesperia, Yucca Valley, Twentynine Palms, Big Bear Lake, Colton, Rialto, and San Bernardino are all still affordable (some of these cities/towns more than others).

Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 PM

156 posts, read 163,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have no idea why it is so expensive.

I think this weekend I will go over to the beach, sit in the sand, drink a cold drink, and contemplate why it cost so much to live here. I have tried that before but for some reason I forget why I am there. I get distracted easily. I tell my wife that it is the dolphins surfing in the shoreline, or the many women playing beach volleyball, although I have heard that sometimes guys play, I have not seen any guys playing. But then, I think I mentioned, I am easily distracted.

It could be the surfing or sailing opportunities that are here, or the deep sea fishing in the area. I do love the view of the ocean with the Channel Islands in the distance, and the Santa Barbara Channel to the North West. Also love the view of the mountains and hillsides that run from inland stopping at the shoreline.

Maybe it is the weather. Here on the coast we normally have a mild temperature and the humidity is normally under 60% which is nice, although today it is over 60%. I can't speak for all of California but I do know my little part of it.

Along with that mild temperature is the realization that I don't have to turn on the Air conditioning and even if I wanted to turn it on, our house does not have air conditioning. Our electric bill hovers around $50 a month all year long.

Could be my job that keeps me here. My wife and I both work for the same hospital and plan on retiring from that hospital. I don't know of too many places that are as rewarding and enjoyable to work at. I love my job and plan on being here another 20 years. The pay is not too bad either.

Maybe it is the fact that we have so many amazing places near by. Los Angeles is close, Malibu is down the road, Santa Barbara is up the road. Plenty of amusement parks, museums, USC is maybe an hour away. I am a season ticket holder and love going to the games. In Los Angeles we have different districts, fashion district, flower district. Almost anything you want to get, you can get it cheaply in one of those commercial districts. I bought a new designer suit for $60 not too long ago. Same exact suit would have cost $500 at a regular retail store.

Anyway, I digress, what was the question? If you remember I am easily distracted.
EPIC post. Ventura County is another spot near the top of my list of places I would love to live.

Proximity to ocean/beaches, Mountains, TONS of public land & open space, SOAR initiative that prevents VC from becoming LA County, Lots of agriculture, Channel Islands National Park, Sunny Mediterranean Climate averaging near 300 sunny days per year, Relatively affordable, Close to Santa Barbara/Malibu/LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California