Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes, the urban sprawl is continuous 1 4.76%
No, Tijuana’s metro area isn’t part of Southern California 20 95.24%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybuilder91 View Post
Have you ever been to the SD/TJ border? The line gets so backed up that it can take 3 hours to cross back into the US on a bad day, 1 and a half on a good day.

You can literally see the San Diego skyline from the urban hills of Tijuana and the Beaches of Tijuana. Vise Versa if you’re in a Downtown San Diego skyscraper.
It only takes hours if you don't have a Sentri pass. With a Sentri pass, it takes less than 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
No. This is one of the dumbest polls I've ever seen. Lumping Tijuana with San Diego? The United States ends at the border, period.
Borders do not contain metropolitan areas.

Read the question again. "Is the Greater Tijuana region considered part of the Southland megalopolis?" Now understand it. Focus particularly on the word 'considered'.

Fact - numerous sources, just a few of which are listed below, consider San Diego and Tijuana to be part of one greater metropolitan area. The fact that not everyone agrees - or that it really, really upsets you - changes that fact. It is considered as much. Not universally (but few things are agreed upon by everyone).

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...tijuana-region
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego–Tijuana
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...781403940155_2

Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
San Diego-Tijuana is the biggest conurbation that involves the United States. The Otay Mesa border crossing is the most crossed land border crossing in the world. in Colin Woodard's American Nations, he lists El Norte as one of the nations (with parts of Mexico connected to San Diego and other parts of southwest United States). Mexico City considers Tijuana to be completely Americanized.

It's part of a Southland megalopolis.

Last edited by TristramShandy; 07-31-2018 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 07:32 PM

31 posts, read 27,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
San Diego-Tijuana is the biggest conurbation that involves the United States. The Otay Mesa border crossing is the most crossed land border crossing in the world. in Colin Woodard's American Nations, he lists El Norte as one of the nations (with parts of Mexico connected to San Diego and other parts of southwest United States. Mexico City considers Tijuana to be completely Americanized.

It's part of a Southland megalopolis.
Completely agree, and to add on to what you’re saying, the beach communities of Baja have a very similar mountains meet the sea vibe. Plenty of Washington Palm Trees everywhere and the climate is still Mediterranean.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:40 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybuilder91 View Post
I went to Tijuana for the first time today.
And apparently you’re an expert on the topic now.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
It’s not but it’s a lot more connected and part of SD and to a lesser extent Greater LA than people realize or care to admit. It deserves more recognition than it gets for being part of the SD metro region imo.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:45 PM

381 posts, read 344,987 times
If the question was in regards to Tijuana’s relationship with metro SD, the question would be more relevant than in regards to all of SoCal.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:54 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,268,121 times
I agree with the previous two posters that there is a better case for making a connection between Tijuana and San Diego metro, rather than between Tijuana and SoCal. Furthermore, the poll question itself has a flawed premise regarding the "Southland," as the Southland defines only the Los Angeles metro area from Ventura to Orange County but does not actually include San Diego, which is its own metro area. Therefore, if San Diego is not part of the Southland, then certainly Tijuana literally cannot be part of the Southland by definition.

Given that San Diego is not part of the Southland, and given the active cross-border economic activity between San Diego and Tijuana metro, I certainly believe that a strong case can be made (and is often made in local publications) for San Diego and Tijuana being part of a larger international metro area. The proximity of the two cities provides very unique opportunities for economic and cultural collaboration, and there are certainly a number of American citizens living in the more affordable Tijuana metro area, American companies employ manufacturing services in Tijuana, San Diegans regularly use Tijuana International Airport for nonstop flights to Central America and China, and Mexican citizens cross into San Diego daily for jobs. There is significant shared economic activity across the borders, and although the areas are politically and culturally distinct, I would absolutely say they are part of a greater metro area, even if it is divided by a border. Tijuana just doesn't belong lumped in with the rest of SoCal, is all, as San Diego really feels separate from LA.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:50 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I agree with the previous two posters that there is a better case for making a connection between Tijuana and San Diego metro, rather than between Tijuana and SoCal. Furthermore, the poll question itself has a flawed premise regarding the "Southland," as the Southland defines only the Los Angeles metro area from Ventura to Orange County but does not actually include San Diego, which is its own metro area. Therefore, if San Diego is not part of the Southland, then certainly Tijuana literally cannot be part of the Southland by definition.

Given that San Diego is not part of the Southland, and given the active cross-border economic activity between San Diego and Tijuana metro, I certainly believe that a strong case can be made (and is often made in local publications) for San Diego and Tijuana being part of a larger international metro area. The proximity of the two cities provides very unique opportunities for economic and cultural collaboration, and there are certainly a number of American citizens living in the more affordable Tijuana metro area, American companies employ manufacturing services in Tijuana, San Diegans regularly use Tijuana International Airport for nonstop flights to Central America and China, and Mexican citizens cross into San Diego daily for jobs. There is significant shared economic activity across the borders, and although the areas are politically and culturally distinct, I would absolutely say they are part of a greater metro area, even if it is divided by a border. Tijuana just doesn't belong lumped in with the rest of SoCal, is all, as San Diego really feels separate from LA.
I would imagine this quite similar to relationship between Detroit and Windsor.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I would imagine this quite similar to relationship between Detroit and Windsor.
Not even close.

I went to college in the area, and while it’s a busy border for trade, the pedestrian traffic is nothing like SD/TJ. I remember a business class where my professor said that Detroit/Windsor was the busiest border for trade in the US. I laughed out loud in class and challenged him to his statement. He threw out numbers I couldn’t argue with, but conceded to me the overall impact of SD/TJ being greater after a lively debate.

While the US/Canada culture is more similar than US/Mexico, you didn’t see, or feel, what you do here whenever you went into Detroit. Besides a lower drinking age you’d think you were in a suburb of Detroit, not another country. Plus I believe Windsor was about 1/10 the size of metro Detroit, when I was in school back in the 1990’s, I’m sure it’s still the same. San Diego and Tijuana are much closer to each other in size.

Yes they are connected, and can be considered part of one greater metro area, but it’s nothing like out here. The sheer numbers of bodies moving across here separates the two big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California