Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 03:20 PM

36 posts, read 17,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Yeah, to make more homes available to CA residents, the government could raise taxes on foreign buyers. This policy has worked out well in those countries you mentioned. Foreign buying in those countries slowed down after the higher taxes went into effect.

They could also limit investment purchases to say one property per buyer.

They could also prevent corporations from buying up properties to flip.

These are just some ideas to help Californians realizing their dreams of being a home owner, if we have a government that care about people. Instead they see property taxes as just another way to enrich themselves. Thus, the relentless attack on Prop 13.
Anyone going after those who are "paying too little" are advocating that the people who just paid $3 million dollars for a house next door are "paying too much". Who can even afford 3 million dollars for a house? The highest-paying non-business career is probably neurosurgeon, which can net 400K/yr. After taxes, training, etc. the neurosurgeon can barely afford that house.

That luxury market is amplified because CA has no global restrictions on who can buy here. Basically if you can afford it, you can buy it. Meanwhile, envious people want to displace people who have been in the same coastal house for decades.

It's a big world out there, there is a lot of wealth, and CA is attractive to live in. The "YIMBY" folks either realize or don't care about how they are on the side of the global super-rich, developers, big government, etc. They are, in effect, complaining that "super-rich people who can afford to pay 5 million dollars for a house are paying too much tax! therefore, it makes it OK to displace their (often working) neighbors, who have been here for 40 years!" Middle-class homeowners who pay their taxes have a legitimate fear of being displaced. That is so messed up.

Displacement of people is third-world, trail of tears, genocidal bull**** that doesn't belong in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Easy, lower property tax rate.

How can you make the argument the rate is too high for some but not too high for first time home buyers who end up paying the highest rate.

I don’t feel sorry for someone sitting in a 1.5 million dollar home paying 3k a year in property taxes when a young couple is trying to afford a 500k home and paying 10k a year in property taxes.

I am currently a homeowner and benefit from prop 13 but that doesn’t stop me from speaking the truth. Prop 13 is rent control for homeowners. I’m against rent control and I’m against prop 13.
Way to fudge your numbers. Buying a 500K home would not give you 10k a year taxes. Maybe over 5k because of parcel taxes, bonds, etc. but not 10k.

Also, I feel sorry for that person, because if they never sell it, people like you want to force them to pay taxes they may not be able to afford. What gives you that right? There is no shortage of dollars wanting to buy here. Wealthy international people clamoring for a slice of CA, etc. People in China buy CA real estate sight unseen, jacking up prices.

Prop 13 is not rent control for homeowners, it's an agreement that property in this state is treated as your castle, not the taxman's castle. There are people who literally believe rent control should exist and homeowners should pay all of the taxes. It's literally an inversion in the definition of property. I think most rational people would want to avoid this state regressing to that point. It's immoral.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horchata111 View Post
Anyone going after those who are "paying too little" are advocating that the people who just paid $3 million dollars for a house next door are "paying too much". Who can even afford 3 million dollars for a house? The highest-paying non-business career is probably neurosurgeon, which can net 400K/yr. After taxes, training, etc. the neurosurgeon can barely afford that house.

That luxury market is amplified because CA has no global restrictions on who can buy here. Basically if you can afford it, you can buy it. Meanwhile, envious people want to displace people who have been in the same coastal house for decades.

It's a big world out there, there is a lot of wealth, and CA is attractive to live in. The "YIMBY" folks either realize or don't care about how they are on the side of the global super-rich, developers, big government, etc. They are, in effect, complaining that "super-rich people who can afford to pay 5 million dollars for a house are paying too much tax! therefore, it makes it OK to displace their (often working) neighbors, who have been here for 40 years!" Middle-class homeowners who pay their taxes have a legitimate fear of being displaced. That is so messed up.

Displacement of people is third-world, trail of tears, genocidal bull**** that doesn't belong in this country.
The above is so true. They have no idea, they just want more houses on the market selling for less so they can buy.They do not realize that right now under the law, the rich new buyers are paying a higher tax amount than the poorer middle class that bought long ago. Guess they do not want the rich taxed more than the poorer and do not want those who were hard working and smart to keep their homes.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:36 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Quote:
Way to fudge your numbers. Buying a 500K home would not give you 10k a year taxes. Maybe over 5k because of parcel taxes, bonds, etc. but not 10k.
Where I lived in north Los Angeles County, the property tax on a $500k home would indeed be right around $10,000, depending which district it's in. Mine, valued at about $100k, was taxed at just shy of $2200/year. Half was property tax, the rest was special assessments (of which half was for "parks". Parks? I don't see no parks...)

Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,849 times
Quote:

Well of course they're cheerleaders for the uber rich. Not to mention, they foolishly advocate their high density housing BS as a solution (which it is not). The SF Bay Area simply has too much pent up demand. You couldn't possibly create enough housing to drive down prices. In the meantime, you throw the Middle Class homeowners to the curb. And then most have the audacity to scream at the people that have played by the rules set in place by the law for the last 40+ years, who had to skimp and save to get a home. Nothing comes easy in life. But the instant gratification crowd can't accept that. Their whining has become tiresome.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:40 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Mine, valued at about $100k, was taxed at just shy of $2200/year. Half was property tax, the rest was special assessments (of which half was for "parks". Parks? I don't see no parks...)
That's ridiculous.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:54 PM

Also, go take a look at the main YIMBY/ prop 13 repeal lobbying organization, "Techequity Collaborative". A who's who of facebook folks. Remember when they said they would respect our privacy? That sure worked out, huh? They say they won't go after primary residences.

Those people are dishonest and don't deserve anyone's trust, let alone when it comes to staying in your home.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:57 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Where I lived in north Los Angeles County, the property tax on a $500k home would indeed be right around $10,000, depending which district it's in.
How is 1% of a $500K house $10,000? No park fees add up to that.

Quote:
Mine, valued at about $100k, was taxed at just shy of $2200/year. Half was property tax, the rest was special assessments (of which half was for "parks". Parks? I don't see no parks...)
Then you might have bought it for $100 K but made enough improvements that it was reassessed. Either that or you should be complaining to the L.A. County Assessor's office. Something's wrong.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:58 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Then you might have bought it for $100 K but made enough improvements that it was reassessed. Either that or you should be complaining to the L.A. County Assessor's office. Something's wrong.
I bought for $127k but it was assessed at slightly less (individually the four lots, two with small houses, were worth less than I paid for it as a unit). I made no improvements. It was never reassessed while I owned it. 1% plus special assessments added up to a bit over a grand twice a year. The special assessment for "parks" alone was over $400 per year. And that was after the homeowner's exemption on the main house.

I did look into it, in some detail, but since 'values' were going up on a rocket even for crappy old houses and unsalable property, attempting a reassessment did not seem wise.

<looks up current assessment> Oh, lordy... now they're counting the pool, which had been filled with dirt some decades previous, and remains that way to this day. Neither house is habitable anymore, yet the main house was reassessed to $190k in 2017 and $200k for 2019, $50k above the last sale price for the whole property. And the #2 house is assessed at an additional $130k! So with the bare lots, total assessment is now $332k, and someone is paying around $6500 in property tax. Which is hilarious, especially after the county confiscated all the private wells (yes, really) rendering all those rural desert homesteads valueless in the real world. I think Los Angeles County leads an active fantasy life.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:06 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not only park fees but other assessments. Looking at my tax bill, I have five bonds for my local unified school district, and three for the junior college in my county. As for direct assessments, I have two for mosquito abatement, another for hazardous waste and one (that I don't have a clue what it means) for water investigation. Interestingly, when I moved here, there were only two bonds for the local college but in the past two elections, they've added two more. It adds up fast. I swear. Voters continue to say yes to these bonds but then wonder why their taxes keep going up.
Quote:
That's always a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California