Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 07:24 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Looking at my tax bill, I have five bonds for my local unified school district, and three for the junior college in my county. As for direct assessments, I have two for mosquito abatement, another for hazardous waste and.....
I have plenty of those as well but not to the point that it adds an extra $5,000 to my property tax bill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 PM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I have plenty of those as well but not to the point that it adds an extra $5,000 to my property tax bill!
Mine either but then I live in a lower cost of living part of the state so I'm not really in a position to say what others in the most western part of the state have to pay. What I find most annoying about these bonds is that they continue piling up on the tax bill but I never see any of them getting paid off. I can't imagine what it will be like in another ten years.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:49 PM

36 posts, read 17,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nothing neutral about it. Simply favors those in place a long time outrageously over the new comer.

And I do not object to that except it should fade away in a couple of decades and should not favor commercial property.
i didnt ask for the worlds wealthy to turn my parents neighborhood into a playground. i just want to be able to move in, keep the house and memories in the family, and pay a reasonable tax rate. the yimbys think wealthier people are more entitled to live in that house than me. i say F those people.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Right. And it prices out the young families who were born and raised in California. No one can buy now except the very high income earners. Newcomers can pay the "voluntary" tax but locals are screwed because people who bought at the start of PROP 13 are getting an enormous benefit on the backs of young people.

Does it seem reasonable that a local family buying their first house in Temecula with two people in their early 30's are paying the same in Prop Tax as their parents in Encinitas with a 1.5M house? Prop 13 in its current form is effectively driving locals out of California.
The people with prop 13 benefits are those young peoples' parents. Eliminating it wouldnt help them afford the state but it would effectively cast them out of the state. So if they couldn't buy, they couldn't inherit either.

And don't try to claim the cash of a home sale is some sort of consolation prize. Sure, it would probablt go far elsewhere in this country, but damnit if anyone has a right to live here, its those who were raised here and whose family has property here. Not the global rich.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:24 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Mine either but then I live in a lower cost of living part of the state so I'm not really in a position to say what others in the most western part of the state have to pay. What I find most annoying about these bonds is that they continue piling up on the tax bill but I never see any of them getting paid off. I can't imagine what it will be like in another ten years.
This is why I always vote No on bond measures. Most of the time they do not use the money wisely & we are paying it year after year on the property tax bills.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horchata111 View Post
The people with prop 13 benefits are those young peoples' parents. Eliminating it wouldnt help them afford the state but it would effectively cast them out of the state. So if they couldn't buy, they couldn't inherit either.

And don't try to claim the cash of a home sale is some sort of consolation prize. Sure, it would probablt go far elsewhere in this country, but damnit if anyone has a right to live here, its those who were raised here and whose family has property here. Not the global rich.
The "I was here first argument" and "screw everyone else in the state, I got mine" is getting ridiculous.
Face it, the overwhelming majority of people who support Prop 13 and argue for it benefit from it in some way.
At the very least, Prop 13 should not apply to businesses.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:08 PM

1,203 posts, read 836,450 times
Quote:
The "I was here first argument" and "screw everyone else in the state, I got mine" is getting ridiculous.
Face it, the overwhelming majority of people who support Prop 13 and argue for it benefit from it in some way.
Oh BS! How is expecting everyone to play by the same rules saying "screw everyone else"? Answer. It's not. There were people that bought before I did that played by the same rules and paid less in property tax than I did (I didn't begrudge them). 20 years later, I'm not low man on the totem pole any more. That's how it works (sorry you can't seem to understand it).

And who benefits if it was repealed? Please don't sit there and try to pretend the side you are advocating is some "holier than thou" group that deserves to get different treatment than the ones before you that voted on Prop 13. I always find it amusing how when something is voted on in through a Democratic process, people are in favor of it until it doesn't work for them. So in other words, when you don't like something you prefer a dictatorship type rule. Classic.

The bottom line is, if you think you have support on repealing Prop 13, go out and join those 1 percenters who you are apparently a cheerleader for, and get the required votes and let's all vote on it. I don't believe you'll fare well. You can whine to your heart's content on the internet and it won't change anything.

P.S. Attempting to modify it would be the same as repealing it and then all bets are off. Sorry, not going to happen.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 02-26-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Ok, I want to ask you a question about your principles.

Should the government initiate a change in property tax policy that raises taxes to such an extent such that even a doctor finds the taxes burdensome, on a 2,000 square foot house? That is what a repeal of prop 13 would do to my family. Here I am, trying to justify staying in a paid-off family home.

Generally the government won't displace rent-controlled tenants due to bad PR. But displacing property owners is ok? Remember, this is America, where property ownership means something. Chinese people will smuggle dollars out of China so they can own a piece of California. This is one of the reason the market is so bad.

Ultimately I will fight for my right to stay in my home and work to expose the disingenuous forces that will start the slippery slope of prop 13 repeal. Global forcea are conspiring to tap CA home equity and any self-respecting homeowner, aspiring homeowner, or person who knows homeowners should tell those people to pound sand.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Oh BS! How is expecting everyone to play by the same rules saying "screw everyone else"? Answer. It's not. There were people that bought before I did that played by the same rules and paid less in property tax than I did (I didn't begrudge them). 20 years later, I'm not low man on the totem pole any more. That's how it works (sorry you can't seem to understand it).

And who benefits if it was repealed? Please don't sit there and try to pretend the side you are advocating is some "holier than thou" group that deserves to get different treatment than the ones before you that voted on Prop 13. I always find it amusing how when something is voted on in through a Democratic process, people are in favor of it until it doesn't work for them. So in other words, when you don't like something you prefer a dictatorship type rule. Classic.

The bottom line is, if you think you have support on repealing Prop 13, go out and join those 1 percenters who you are apparently a cheerleader for, and get the required votes and let's all vote on it. I don't believe you'll fare well. You can whine to your heart's content on the internet and it won't change anything.

P.S. Attempting to modify it would be the same as repealing it and then all bets are off. Sorry, not going to happen.
Also, those who are paying 3 million dollars to live in malibu instead of oxnard shouldn't force out longtime malibu residents.

Yes, homeowners should have more protection from gentrification than renters, for obvious reasons. If you disagree you are far-left.

The Nytimes runs articles on malibu and there are plenty of rich transplants who wont consider moving to oxnard because of mexicans. Maybe they are the problem.

Last edited by horchata111; 02-26-2019 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: additiin

Old 02-26-2019, 01:41 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horchata111 View Post
Ok, I want to ask you a question about your principles.

Should the government initiate a change in property tax policy that raises taxes to such an extent such that even a doctor finds the taxes burdensome, on a 2,000 square foot house? That is what a repeal of prop 13 would do to my family. Here I am, trying to justify staying in a paid-off family home.

Generally the government won't displace rent-controlled tenants due to bad PR. But displacing property owners is ok? Remember, this is America, where property ownership means something. Chinese people will smuggle dollars out of China so they can own a piece of California. This is one of the reason the market is so bad.

Ultimately I will fight for my right to stay in my home and work to expose the disingenuous forces that will start the slippery slope of prop 13 repeal. Global forcea are conspiring to tap CA home equity and any self-respecting homeowner, aspiring homeowner, or person who knows homeowners should tell those people to pound sand.
Repeal is not the only possibility. P13 could simply be modified. It is difficult to see why it applies to business owned property for instance.

It would also seem reasonable that the algorithm used should converge over 20 or 30 years. And there are things like heavy real estate recessions that could be handled better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California