Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,844,210 times

Advertisements

The subject here is California's population, NOT a general discussion of US immigration. Please use the Politics and Other Controversies forum for that.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 03:09 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,552,914 times
<mod cut: reply to off-topic post removed>

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And we need inmigrants just as much as they need us.

You want us to sit around waiting for ignorant rednecks and rust belt lay abouts to join us in 2019?
Sorry time, and business, wait for no man.

This is really it ^

In order to remain vital, competitive and on top of things, we need willing talent.

"Willing" implies ambition. It means taking the initiative to educate yourself, know your stuff and get into a legitimate employment field where you can make use of your knowledge and talent. It also means evolving on a personal level and being involved in ongoing educational opportunities in the field.

The white, 30 year old in Redding or Hemet who went down a path of welfare-abuse and drug addiction is not going to fulfill this need.

Neither is the black, drug-addicted 40 year old with a rap sheet in Oakland or South LA.

I deal with both of these types of people every single day, and to think California and Silicon Valley should wait around on them to get their act together and make positive contributions to the state is a complete joke.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:14 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,518,686 times
Finally. Too bad it didn't slow down around 30 million (and that was just 1990 - not terribly long ago).

Old 05-03-2019, 11:19 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Finally. Too bad it didn't slow down around 30 million (and that was just 1990 - not terribly long ago).
20 million in the mid-60’s when I arrived. Plenty of people then. Getting near unbearable now.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,518,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
20 million in the mid-60’s when I arrived. Plenty of people then. Getting near unbearable now.

That's true. I was born in 1960 and by the time I was old enough to pay attention to such things (mid 1970s) the state seem plenty "settled", busy and crowded then. Maybe not so much in the Central Valley as today, but the Bay Area and LA metro area have always been crowded beehives of activity.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,411,459 times
Quote:
Good. Hope it stops. And reverses.

But it won’t.
Glad it's slowing but a bit of growth, I mean a bit is good. Otherwise, we end up with a demographic problem like Germany and Japan.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Oh Yes we certainly do need more immigrants to sustain our population into the future. Silicon Valley is proof that immigrants have the ability to lift the entire country. Also, aside from financial aid, social services, free K-12 education, and the blessing of all the opportunities already afforded to a person born in the United States, what do you mean we need to invest in the American people?
Combine this with the fact that Millennials aren't having many babies now, we are going to have a serious demographic problem in two more decades.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Nope. Make it 60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Suh...weet! Can I get an 80? Anybody?! The more the merrier!
Honestly, I'm not sure why we need that many people.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
<mod cut: reply to off-topic post removed>

This is really it ^

In order to remain vital, competitive and on top of things, we need willing talent.

"Willing" implies ambition. It means taking the initiative to educate yourself, know your stuff and get into a legitimate employment field where you can make use of your knowledge and talent. It also means evolving on a personal level and being involved in ongoing educational opportunities in the field.

The white, 30 year old in Redding or Hemet who went down a path of welfare-abuse and drug addiction is not going to fulfill this need.

Neither is the black, drug-addicted 40 year old with a rap sheet in Oakland or South LA.

I deal with both of these types of people every single day, and to think California and Silicon Valley should wait around on them to get their act together and make positive contributions to the state is a complete joke.
^^^No, THIS is really it! You totally nailed it!

Old 05-04-2019, 12:16 PM

4,519 posts, read 1,871,291 times
Quote:
Good. Hope it stops. And reverses.

But it won’t.
I disagree with everything you post on CD, except this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California