Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2022, 09:20 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You should have stayed home. Not feeling sick does not mean you cannot spread the virus.
When you play tennis, you play at least 30 feet or so from the other player. Doubles is another story but even then the wingspread of the racket keeps you a good distance from other players. This is outdoor tennis.

Tennis was one of the first activities to reopen in May 2020. I did make a point of not shaking hands after the game, and unobtrusively staying distant when chatting. To MechAndy's point, I carry water in my car, and didn't make other stops. One can go out in a way that comports with common sense.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Let's see. I played singles tennis the same day I tested positive for a disease that has killed millions of people. I get it.
You should have stayed home. Not feeling sick does not mean you cannot spread the virus.
When you play tennis, you play at least 30 feet or so from the other player. Doubles is another story but even then the wingspread of the racket keeps you a good distance from other players. This is outdoor tennis.

Tennis was one of the first activities to reopen in May 2020. I did make a point of not shaking hands after the game, and unobtrusively staying distant when chatting. To MechAndy's point, I carry water in my car, and didn't make other stops. One can go out in a way that comports with common sense.

And my point, in the post to which you responded, was that we destroyed society by our approach to Covid. It's the susceptible, not the healthy, that should have been locked down.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:50 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
I gladly retract my statement.
It does seem safe to me.
I believe in the freedom to self police ourselves .

Old 09-25-2022, 10:49 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Not feeling sick does not mean you cannot spread the virus.

Asymptomatic spread is one of the things which was initially overstated. That's why exposure policy has shifted since this began. It's now ok that someone who may have picked up the virus but isn't testing positive or showing any signs of being sick can (has to) wear a mask for ten days, rather than isolate.

I'm not disagreeing with you/"the science", but there's important nuance at work here.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Asymptomatic spread is one of the things which was initially overstated. That's why exposure policy has shifted since this began. It's now ok that someone who may have picked up the virus but isn't testing positive or showing any signs of being sick can (has to) wear a mask for ten days, rather than isolate.

I'm not disagreeing with you/"the science", but there's important nuance at work here.
Normally I see eye to eye with you but how would anyone know if they "may have picked up the virus but isn't testing positive or showing any signs of being sick" unless they asked everyone with whom they deal to take a test?

Old 09-25-2022, 11:54 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
we destroyed society by our approach to Covid. It's the susceptible, not the healthy, that should have been locked down.
Darn those "susceptible" people. The nerve of them.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:17 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
More like darn all those healthy people for complaining about being locked down.
Most of them probably had enough money anyway.
These lock downs could have been the great equalizer.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Normally I see eye to eye with you but how would anyone know if they "may have picked up the virus but isn't testing positive or showing any signs of being sick" unless they asked everyone with whom they deal to take a test?

As in, they spent more than 15 minutes indoors together with someone who *did* test positive or whatever the standard is now for determining an exposure vs. close contact. Or a close contact, such as a person whose family member(s) test positive.

In the past, we isolated those people along with the sick, even if they never did get sick themselves. Now, policies have shifted and the rule is those people can return to work or school, but have to wear a mask for ten days. People can have a low enough viral load to never test positive, never have symptoms either. But we don't do blanket quarantines anymore because it's unlikely they're going to contribute to the spread under those conditions.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Darn those "susceptible" people. The nerve of them.

I get it, but in hindsight, the approach taken was way too cautious. And plenty of healthy people can and did get sick and die so it isn't entirely about the most at risk, with everyone else being fine. The same goes for how some treat comorbidities as the equivalent of being one foot in the grave. That's not really true at all either. Being diabetic isn't a death sentence. The combination of that and covid might be though. It's a big numbers game like everything else.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
You do realize a big reason the economy is in the toilet is because of people like yourself just went along with the government crashing the economy because it was for the “greater good”?

To this day I’m still wiping egg off my face for believing (and defending) the whole weapons of mass destruction lies that brought us into wars under false pretenses?

I highly doubt most will admit they’re wrong when it came to covid? But if some of us here say it’s alright because I got played a fool as well by our government maybe some will? But I doubt it here? In real life I’m already hearing it all the time.
You nailed it! I could not have said it better. Only I believed it for about a day, and lost my belief when no one could say what the standards were for ending lockdowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California