Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 07:34 AM

26,760 posts, read 26,869,136 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with this idea that Californians were "victims of their own success." If we'd been successful in following the mandate, we wouldn't be facing another shutdown.

“California should be commended for doing so much well at the beginning. We really shut down, and I think we really got the right messages out,” said Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, chair of UC San Francisco’s Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. “So why did we start going out?”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ce-of-disaster

Old 07-03-2020, 09:26 AM

14,346 posts, read 11,738,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
“California should be commended for doing so much well at the beginning. We really shut down, and I think we really got the right messages out,” said Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, chair of UC San Francisco’s Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. “So why did we start going out?”
Because we couldn't stay in forever.

California will follow the same trajectory as every other location. Cases will go up for a while, then they will go down. Deaths will go up, then they will go down. Locking down only delays that inevitable happening.

And I don't believe we'll "have a vaccine in a few months" as another poster is wishfully thinking.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Because we couldn't stay in forever.
Were they discussing "staying in forever"?

We can go out with caution: masking and staying 6 ft apart. Obviously enough people here were failing to do this or the number of confirmed cases and hospitalizations would not be increasing so rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
California will follow the same trajectory as every other location.
There are plenty of locations that have not followed California's trajectory: Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii, etc, and some that are tracking steady: Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska....

Old 07-03-2020, 10:46 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
150 cases traced to one bar in Michigan. Whoo-hoo!

https://krdo.com/news/national-world...-michigan-bar/

That’s freedom for ya! No sheeples there! Make America drink again!

Old 07-03-2020, 11:05 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It’s not that no one said the protests were fine. It’s that they now say that they didn’t contribute to the spike because they’re crowds, but they’re outside. Now they close the beaches because they don’t want crowds outside.

Makes no sense at all unless they’re scared of boycotts, etc for speaking against the protests, agree with the protests and don’t give a rip about the virus spreading or the votes are more important than public safety. It’s probably all of the above.

I couldn’t disagree more that the people in bars are different and somehow more culpable than the protesters. That’s a load. They’re both just as irresponsible.
I just ran across this and thought you might want to see it:

Quote:
Sparked by the killing of George Floyd in police custody, the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests have brought a new wave of attention to the issue of inequality within criminal justice. However, many public health officials have warned that mass protests could lead to a reduction in social distancing behavior, spurring a resurgence of COVID-19. This study uses newly collected data on protests in 315 of the largest U.S. cities to estimate the impacts of mass protests on social distancing and COVID-19 case growth. Event-study analyses provide strong evidence that net stay-at-home behavior increased following protest onset, consistent with the hypothesis that nonprotesters’ behavior was substantially affected by urban protests. This effect was not fully explained by the imposition of city curfews. Estimated effects were generally larger for persistent protests and those accompanied by media reports of violence. Furthermore, we find no evidence that urban protests reignited COVID-19 case growth during the more than three weeks following protest onset. We conclude that predictions of broad negative public health consequences of Black Lives Matter protests were far too narrowly conceived.
https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

Old 07-03-2020, 11:07 AM

This is for looker and other like minded people:

LA Sheriff To Fine $300 For Not Wearing A Mask In Public

Old 07-03-2020, 11:11 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,147,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is for looker and other like minded people:

LA Sheriff To Fine $300 For Not Wearing A Mask In Public
Means nothing, just a talk. I have anxiety when i put anything over my face. Under ADA i can't be required to cover my face

Old 07-03-2020, 11:13 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,285,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I just ran across this and thought you might want to see it:
Thanks, but that’s the same guy that was quoted in the Forbes article. I don’t understand economists making medical conclusions. And again, they just closed beaches in Southern California because they don’t want crowds out there. So protesting is ok but beaches are off limits. Makes no sense.

It’s both the protesters and the bar hoppers that caused the spike. It’s just common sense. Plus all charts I’ve seen shows the death rate going down.

Both groups, bar hoppers and protesters, are younger and their infections aren’t likely to result in death based on the mortality rate for the younger age group.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I have anxiety when i put anything over my face.
Kind of like when you receive your jury summons or when you can't text while driving?

Old 07-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Thanks, but that’s the same guy that was quoted in the Forbes article. I don’t understand economists making medical conclusions. And again, they just closed beaches in Southern California because they don’t want crowds out there. So protesting is ok but beaches are off limits. Makes no sense.

It’s both the protesters and the bar hoppers that caused the spike. It’s just common sense. Plus all charts I’ve seen shows the death rate going down.

Both groups, bar hoppers and protesters, are younger and their infections aren’t likely to result in death based on the mortality rate for the younger age group.
You would do well to attack the conclusion by presenting non anecdotal evidence of your own rather than claim that an economist can't analyze available data. It makes me wonder "who" would have to compile that data for you to not outright dismiss it. If you look at who contributed to the study you will find three work specifically in health economics.

Here are some of the covid studies done by economists: https://equitablegrowth.org/the-late...irus-pandemic/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California