Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2022, 06:23 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
4 ways the world messed up its pandemic response — and 3 fixes to do better next time.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...cet-commission
Interesting article, Mutt; thanks for posting it.

A new research initiative will explore whether the endurance of coronavirus in the body plays a role in the development of long COVID, a syndrome in which symptoms can last for months or even years following an infection, and that isn't well understood now.

https://lc19.org/

Old 09-15-2022, 09:14 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
SDSU and the related colleges have decided they know better than the CDC and have extended the mask mandate three more weeks. Who needs a booster if these masks work so well.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
It's beyond "COVID might speed up cognitive decline someday" - apparently it's already happening.
https://consumer.healthday.com/9-15-...658205818.html

Old 09-17-2022, 03:45 PM

According to this, the situation is not good. Among other things, while more protective against some variants, the new vaccines are not predicted to get the job done against what's already coming.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...head/101274980

Old 09-17-2022, 11:19 PM

We are going to need to lock everything down again. Oceans, forests. If not we are doomed. I've seen more single drivers with windows down wearing masks than ever before. They are really feeling terrorized by the media.

Old 09-18-2022, 03:23 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Everyone I know who got Omicron is vaccinated, me and my neighbors who are unvaccinated never got it.
Yeah when my wife and I got the corona virus in July we were the last of the vaccinated we know to catch it (2 vax + 1 booster). The only people I know who haven’t caught it (that have active social lives) are unvaccinated.

My wife, who is an RN, says they probably had it but just passed it off as a cold and never tested to see if they actually had it? My response was did you hear what you just said? We now all know having the vaccination doesn’t stop you from catching it, but didn’t the goal posts shift to the narrative that it would lessen the effects if you caught it?

We went to a concert in Hollywood tonight and it was nice to see 3K people not give two sh*** about masks indoors. This was a far cry when we were last there in December and we had to mask up everywhere, show vaccine cards to get into bars, and tons of weirdos were still wearing masks in great numbers outdoors.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:29 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
At what point does personal experience count ?

Between the wife’s and I through friends, family and work contacts we probably know a good 60 or so people that had mild symptoms from these latest versions of Covid.
We are just a small group and I wager there are plenty more groups just like us.

We have a large family and just yesterday was one of the kids first birthday party.
Must have been 65 people there unmasked, mostly with out boosters and some were elderly.
I doubt anyone will get sick and if they do it will be similar to what we were used to 5 years ago.

Most people we know haven’t or wont go to the hospital when they test positive for Covid.
They just ride it out at home self isolating until they are good to go.
This combined with the cancellation of the free test kits just throws all our new data into to crapper.

I am shocked that some people are still tripping on this.
I guess monkey pox wasn’t gaining enough momentum so what little left of the Covid fear will have to do

Old 09-18-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

Between the wife’s and I through friends, family and work contacts we probably know a good 60 or so people that had mild symptoms from these latest versions of Covid.
We are just a small group and I wager there are plenty more groups just like us.

We have a large family and just yesterday was one of the kids first birthday party.
Must have been 65 people there unmasked, mostly with out boosters and some were elderly.
I doubt anyone will get sick and if they do it will be similar to what we were used to 5 years ago.

Most people we know haven’t or wont go to the hospital when they test positive for Covid.
This combined with the cancellation of the free test kits just throws all our new data into to crapper.

I guess monkey pox wasn’t gaining enough momentum so what little left of the Covid fear will have to do
Famous last words.

Personal experience will never count as much as research and data. With this specifically, it always fails because most people won't get long-Covid and few who do will widely disclose it once they gradually realize it.

It's simple - live as though it's a cold, get infected repeatedly, and probably eventually with bad luck or cumulative damage end up diminished for a long time and possibly permanently. That's what most researchers are concluding. (Assuming, not wisely, that no viciously acute variant comes about.) I will never be shamed into ignoring reality and being reckless.

Old 09-18-2022, 12:12 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:

How fortunate for you. Some people who get COVID-19 aren't good to go.

Quote:
When it doesn't happen to personally affect some people, it's apparently hard to understand that COVID-19 is still killing people.

"...although their risk is much lower, vaccinated people have nonetheless been among those who have died from COVID. In California, 152 vaccinated people died of COVID in June and early July, out of more than 11 million vaccinated people across the state, according to state data."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ths-california

Old 09-18-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Yeah when my wife and I got the corona virus in July we were the last of the vaccinated we know to catch it (2 vax + 1 booster). The only people I know who haven’t caught it (that have active social lives) are unvaccinated.

My wife, who is an RN, says they probably had it but just passed it off as a cold and never tested to see if they actually had it? My response was did you hear what you just said? We now all know having the vaccination doesn’t stop you from catching it, but didn’t the goal posts shift to the narrative that it would lessen the effects if you caught it?

We went to a concert in Hollywood tonight and it was nice to see 3K people not give two sh*** about masks indoors. This was a far cry when we were last there in December and we had to mask up everywhere, show vaccine cards to get into bars, and tons of weirdos were still wearing masks in great numbers outdoors.
I went to a new doctor and they asked me at the front desk if I had a vax card since I wasn't wearing a mask. I said, somewhere. I haven't used it or a mask in over a year. She just smiled and said we'll wave it.

She asked me if I wanted a mask and I guess my five second blank stare (still smiling) was enough of an answer and I waited for the doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California