Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 09:55 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,559,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Few people get side effects from the booster that last past 2 days - boohoo if someone feels bad for 36 hours. That said, nothing medical has no risk.
No it's not a boohoo. And you would have no quantifiable measure on "few people". There really isn't a lot of charm of these vaccines when some are missing work because of it and some (like myself) have had much worse issues with the vaccine than actual covid.

People should take whatever precaution they need (including yourself). Most of what you can do can be handled easily by simply staying at home (i.e. food delivery). Your life will not end if you simply become a hermit (that's your choice). Fortunately the booster, which was a one time requirement to return to my workplace (accompanied by a hefty raise) was nowhere near as bad as the original J & J I got. I don't plan on getting another.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
No it's not a boohoo. And you would have no quantifiable measure on "few people". There really isn't a lot of charm of these vaccines when some are missing work because of it and some (like myself) have had much worse issues with the vaccine than actual covid.

People should take whatever precaution they need (including yourself). Most of what you can do can be handled easily by simply staying at home (i.e. food delivery). Your life will not end if you simply become a hermit (that's your choice). Fortunately the booster, which was a one time requirement to return to my workplace (accompanied by a hefty raise) was nowhere near as bad as the original J & J I got. I don't plan on getting another.
Most people have 2 straight days off in a week. Usually, that is the weekend -> get the shot on Friday. And many people can spare a sick day.

The MRNA thing is overblown, and not all COVID-19 vaccines are that kind. I'm saying that there's no reason to believe in significantly more problems than vaccines for other diseases, and for none of them used for years are problems more than rare past the first few days, with recovery almost always full for anyone in that boat. Almost all viruses can do worse than that.

If you want to swear off more vaccination for the virus without becoming a hermit (which is psychologically rough) and aren't young and healthy, then your protection will wear off and you'll be living dangerously and I think misinformed. Booster doses are smaller and presumably less likely to have side effects.

Last edited by goodheathen; 02-19-2023 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Most people have 2 straight days off in a week. Usually, that is the weekend -> get the shot on Friday. And many people can spare a sick day.

The MRNA thing is overblown, and not all COVID-19 vaccines are that kind. I'm saying that there's no reason to believe in significantly more problems than vaccines for other diseases, and for none of them used for years are problems more than rare past the first few days.

If you want to swear off more vaccination for the virus without becoming a hermit (which is psychologically rough) and aren't young and healthy, then your protection will wear off and you'll be living dangerously and I think misinformed. Booster doses are smaller and presumably less likely to have side effects.
Again, you have no proof of the bolded being the length of time on side effects of the vaccine. My suggestion was for you to become a hermit. I have no issues with living my life. As mentioned, the vaccine was worse than Covid for me (I was essentially non vaccinated when I contracted it and it was a bit of a yawner with mild flu like symptoms...I tested negative 3 days later).

Old 02-19-2023, 01:41 PM

I have no hard proof for extremists like you, but that's what pharmacists say and I think it's even in the forms people sign when getting the vaccine. Like this.
https://www.luriechildrens.org/globa...ip-sheet-1.pdf
It's also consistent with the 4 shots I've had, all good by some point in day 3 each time.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I have received 2 emails from my employer offering me a large cash incentive to get up to date on my booster shots.
They were offers of $3,000 to get up to date.
I’m not one that considers this a small amount so I was curious.

I asked my coworkers in a training class about this and they said that the 3k is closer to $1,500 after taxes and such.
They also said that we get paid well enough and asked if $1,500 was really worth that risk to me?
Knowing how human nature works I’m sure some took the money and kept quite.

That said all I heard in the room of 28 people was thank you but no thank you.
I figure that the 5 silent people in the room took the money or were pro booster shot.
That is just under 18% and a realistic percentage/number to what I see in society as a whole for the acceptance of the booster shots.

So that combined with government policies is where I see we are at.
With this small percentage/number of people that approve it’s easy to see why the government is changing its tune.
There are not enough votes that can still be harvested from this situation.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I have no hard proof for extremists like you, but that's what pharmacists say and I think it's even in the forms people sign when getting the vaccine. Like this.
https://www.luriechildrens.org/globa...ip-sheet-1.pdf
It's also consistent with the 4 shots I've had, all good by day 3 each time.
Yawn. Not an extremist at all (but you might want to look in the mirror on that one). I am a realist however and know what I experienced in addition to friends and family. My workplace is in marketing mode for people like you (kinda silly to require a one time only shot but it pacifies those that want to mask for the rest of their lives....they represent less than 10% of staff and customers).

I couldn't care less about your link. My personal experience trumps that and I'll go with that every time.

Last edited by blameyourself; 02-19-2023 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 02:28 PM

"We all recovered fine." Famous last words.

Here's one of my famed, dreadful predictions: 1 in 10 (maybe only de facto unvaccinated) people who gets a seemingly mild case of COVID-19 will have damage to organs months later. I've been waiting for researchers to announce something. They've already found that it's so for a majority of long-Covid patients.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter how ignorant and irrational the public is about vaccines and viruses. That's not an excuse for government to let a virus do widespread damage, and it remains likely that the public supports clean air and removal from circulation of infected people.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
"We all recovered fine." Famous last words.

Here's one of my famed, dreadful predictions: 1 in 10 (maybe only de facto unvaccinated) people who gets a seemingly mild case of COVID-19 will have damage to organs months later. I've been waiting for researchers to announce something. They've already found that it's so for a majority of long-Covid patients.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter how ignorant and irrational the public is about vaccines and viruses. That's not an excuse for government to let a virus do widespread damage, and it remains likely that the public supports clean air and removal from circulation of infected people.

The only other thing that has worn thin in addition to the public tiring of the vaccine, is dramatic passages like yours above. The ship has sailed on fear mongering.

Last edited by blameyourself; 02-19-2023 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 03:22 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I have received 2 emails from my employer offering me a large cash incentive to get up to date on my booster shots.
They were offers of $3,000 to get up to date.
I’m not one that considers this a small amount so I was curious.

I asked my coworkers in a training class about this and they said that the 3k is closer to $1,500 after taxes and such.
They also said that we get paid well enough and asked to me?
Knowing how human nature works I’m sure some took the money and kept quite.

That said all I heard in the room of 28 people was thank you but no thank you.
I figure that the 5 silent people in the room took the money or were pro booster shot.
That is just under 18% and a realistic percentage/number to what I see in society as a whole for the acceptance of the booster shots.

So that combined with government policies is where I see we are at.
With this small percentage/number of people that approve it’s easy to see why the government is changing its tune.
There are not enough votes that can still be harvested from this situation.
Your co-workers asked a good question; if $1,500 was really worth that risk. It's no skin off your employer's nose to use monetary enticement for getting the booster shots. Naturally, many will take the money because they either need it or they're motivated by it. Good to see at least 28 said no thank you.

I don't trust it (the drug), I don't think it should be forced, either by threat of losing your job or with monetary bribes. We are certainly living in dangerous times. I don't ever recall a time in history where such force by the government is considered okay by citizens. What has happened to independent critical-thinking in this country?

Old 02-19-2023, 03:24 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
The only other thing that has worn thin in addition to the public tiring of the vaccine, is dramatic passages like yours above. The ship has sailed on fear mongering.
They're only opinions. There's never been solid proof given of any claims made. It's easy to find evidence to support your position, if you look hard enough and in places that are out of the norm. Take it all with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California