Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:29 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times

Advertisements

You can fnd a job here. I'm sure you can find employment in a restaurant, if that's what you want to do. The surrounding communities are within a reasonable driving distance. If you worked outside the town, let's say in Pismo Beach, your talking a 10 minute drive. Or to Morro Bay, maybe a 12-15 minute drive. The economies of SLO, MB, PB are for a great part tourism based. All three have plenty of nice restaurants. In general, with regards to SLO County, the big complaint you hear is that there isn't enough high paying jobs which would allow someone to buy a house. That's true. This is a nice place to live, real estate is expensive. The majority of the jobs here are either service or govt. Most of the people here who have "good" jobs work for the state or the County of SLO (and some also work at Diablo Canyon Nucler Power Plant, they make insane money). The state of CA employs a ton of people here. Living downtown and working, if I was a young guy, I'd be all over that. Cal Poly is a HUGE part of the econ. in SLO, restaurants and bars, there are plenty. The downtown is beautiful. The mission area near the creek, the downtown buildings, the old Victorian homes that surround downtown, this is a nice place. It has 50,000 people, I think 20,000 are Cal Poly students. Not much lacking here (except some more high paying jobs). There is a weekly Farmers Market in downtown SLO, I'm sure you would enjoy it. Like I said before, if you like girls, this is the place. Per capita, I don't think you'll find more beautiful women, maybe Sweden? If you want to go to school here, Cal Poly a highly regarded school, so is Cuesta College (2yr.). A Cal Poly education is extremely respected by the business world, some of their programs are ranked tops in the nation. Beaches are beautiful, near Big Sur (HWY 1, that coastline is as beautiful as anywhere in the world), friendly and accepting people, perfect weather just about year round (no humidity). Great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Ryoku:

SLO area is pretty nice from my experience. But I haven't lived there so I can't say much. I've spent most my time in Orange, Ventura and LA counties.

But what is your goal from moving? Do you just want to party and have fun? Do you want to remake yourself and move beyond your current position in life? Or something else? What area is best for you really depends on what you want to do here. For example, my recommendation of the San Fernando Valley is more so based on the idea that you want to "remake yourself...". If you want to party it up, then an area like San Diego may be better (or SLO as someone else suggested).

Man, just listened to "Deeds of Flesh", that is one good argument against SLO! Geez, that is really bad not to mention totally generic. Even to death metal standards.
Perhaps you don't have the best ear for Death Metal. They are a great band, though some songs are much better than others. Not my favorite band, but its not like SLO is churning out bands because its kinda small. If you want me to reccommend a bunch of very original awesome death metal bands i could do that all day, but for a small place like SLO Deeds is quite an awesome, and to most (in the death metal scene, not to some random guy lol) and important metal band. Crown of Souls is excellent. Not to mention a lotta the wimps on CD can't handle brutal death lol, and DEFINITELY couldn't handle playing it, very technical stuff. ;D

Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Ryoku:

Just to note the areas that SoCalMomma mentioned are part of the San Fernando Valley. They are the areas that are a bit more "hip".
Regardless, if you are interested in getting connections etc then a small area like SLO wouldn't work. I have really no idea which area is best for what you're into though.

Quote:
Not to mention a lotta the wimps on CD can't handle brutal death lol, and DEFINITELY couldn't handle playing it, very technical stuff. ;D
Yes, the music is completely banal but its just that I can't handle "brutal death metal". I most say though if you think the music is "very technical" you've never studied music. Its only "very technical" if you are comparing it to Britney Spears. Musically death metal is rather simple. Also, I do love the metal bands that pretend to be "technical", they are the worst ones. Music is about what sounds good, not now much nonsense you can put into the song.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Ryoku:

Just to note the areas that SoCalMomma mentioned are part of the San Fernando Valley. They are the areas that are a bit more "hip".
Regardless, if you are interested in getting connections etc then a small area like SLO wouldn't work. I have really no idea which area is best for what you're into though.

Yes, the music is completely banal but its just that I can't handle "brutal death metal". I most say though if you think the music is "very technical" you've never studied music. Its only "very technical" if you are comparing it to Britney Spears. Musically death metal is rather simple. Also, I do love the metal bands that pretend to be "technical", they are the worst ones. Music is about what sounds good, not now much nonsense you can put into the song.
What you have said makes no sense. Much of Death metal is very technical, and yes i've studied music since i was a small child. Much of it follows and is inspired by the great composers of old. Take the fairly simple, yet excellently crafted song Stabwound by Necrophagist.
YouTube - Necrophagist - Stabwound

You may not like the style, but you come across as ignorant stating that it is simple just because of the "nonsense" they use. I also highly doubt you've listened to or even heard of most of the better bands in Death Metal, as its something you have to search for and will not hear on the radio. Just because you've heard one Nile song doesn't mean you are an expert on metal, your obvious lack of knowledge about it and ingorance in speaking about it shows this.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:55 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
Much of it follows and is inspired by the great composers of old.
Much of it pretends to be inspired.... Death metal does not compare musically to composers like Bach, Beethoven or even more modern neo-classical work. I darn you to study even a simple manuscript of Bach's and compare it to anything in Death Metal (err...not like they have manuscripts or anything...).

Quote:
Take the fairly simple, yet excellently crafted song Stabwound by Necrophagist
Completely boring. You realize its the same thing over and over again right? Very basic harmony too. And nice cheap solos...<snores>.

Quote:
also highly doubt you've listened to or even heard of most of the better bands in Death Metal, as its something you have to search for and will not hear on the radio.
You should learn not to assume too much about people. Disagreeing with you does not mean I don't know about the topic. But if you want to listen to this stuff, thats cool. Just don't pretend its in any way complex. I could play it in my sleep as could anybody trained in classical music.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Much of it pretends to be inspired.... Death metal does not compare musically to composers like Bach, Beethoven or even more modern neo-classical work. I darn you to study even a simple manuscript of Bach's and compare it to anything in Death Metal (err...not like they have manuscripts or anything...).

Completely boring. You realize its the same thing over and over again right? Very basic harmony too. And nice cheap solos...<snores>.

You should learn not to assume too much about people. Disagreeing with you does not mean I don't know about the topic. But if you want to listen to this stuff, thats cool. Just don't pretend its in any way complex. I could play it in my sleep as could anybody trained in classical music.
Again, ignorance and arrogance. If you simply do not care for the style that is fine, however to say it has no musical substance and no complexity is...well as said before, ignorant and arrogant. A real musician would understand this, and they do, which is why they realize how awesome it is that music can take many different forms, and can be complex, while forming different structures with different styles. As you assumed you knew about me, i assumed to know about you. Makes sense right? People like you are what make city-data unpleasant. You initially instead of just pointing out helpful things to the OP, started tearing down anothers attempt, and have rudely kept doing so. Please, if you feel you have to share you opinion then so be it, but the things you are saying are simple opinions and arrogance. But since you are the master of music, i guess you could play any of it in your sleep. For most, mastering the many arts of music takes a LONG time, and noone truly ever masters it.....after writing this i though about deleting it, because this debate should not be happening, but since i already wrote it and for the sake of metal musicians everywhere who are constantly talked down to by ignorant musicians(note i said ignorant ones, many great musicians of many styles recognize its complexity and its own excellence) and should be stood up for once in a while. But now I say i'm sorry to the OP for being off topic, but people like this just need to be told what they are doing is wrong. All i was trying to do in the first place was point out a fun fact about SLO, and this person starts talking down about it....it was just for fun, and I was NOT talking to the person who responded, though some people seem to think the world revolves around them and everyone is always talking to them. This is an unfortunate misunderstanding on their part. I do hope you find a place that is a good fit for you, and as others have said if you look hard enough and are willing to make some sacrifices, you can do so! Also definitely check out the other boards for specific areas, as many of them have great advice but don't come to the general board. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 PM

20 posts, read 40,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
You can fnd a job here. I'm sure you can find employment in a restaurant, if that's what you want to do. The surrounding communities are within a reasonable driving distance. If you worked outside the town, let's say in Pismo Beach, your talking a 10 minute drive. Or to Morro Bay, maybe a 12-15 minute drive. The economies of SLO, MB, PB are for a great part tourism based. All three have plenty of nice restaurants. In general, with regards to SLO County, the big complaint you hear is that there isn't enough high paying jobs which would allow someone to buy a house. That's true. This is a nice place to live, real estate is expensive. The majority of the jobs here are either service or govt. Most of the people here who have "good" jobs work for the state or the County of SLO (and some also work at Diablo Canyon Nucler Power Plant, they make insane money). The state of CA employs a ton of people here. Living downtown and working, if I was a young guy, I'd be all over that. Cal Poly is a HUGE part of the econ. in SLO, restaurants and bars, there are plenty. The downtown is beautiful. The mission area near the creek, the downtown buildings, the old Victorian homes that surround downtown, this is a nice place. It has 50,000 people, I think 20,000 are Cal Poly students. Not much lacking here (except some more high paying jobs). There is a weekly Farmers Market in downtown SLO, I'm sure you would enjoy it. Like I said before, if you like girls, this is the place. Per capita, I don't think you'll find more beautiful women, maybe Sweden? If you want to go to school here, Cal Poly a highly regarded school, so is Cuesta College (2yr.). A Cal Poly education is extremely respected by the business world, some of their programs are ranked tops in the nation. Beaches are beautiful, near Big Sur (HWY 1, that coastline is as beautiful as anywhere in the world), friendly and accepting people, perfect weather just about year round (no humidity). Great place.
You're making SLO sound all the more intriguing. Thanks for the input very much! Do you think you could get some photos of where you live, or just around town? I'd like to see the community from a residents perspective. The city I used to live in, Vineland, has a population of 59,000, but my current town has only 9,000, so I take it San Luis Obispo is something more similar to my old home. =P It's pop. is 44k, not 50k (by 2020 it will be?) About commuting to work, I won't have a car for the first year at the least, nor insurance. Too expensive compared to Maine (800 a year). Insurance in NJ is also terrible, but fortunatly I didn't get my license till I moved to ME. So hopefully, I would like to find work within 15 minutes walking distance, or biking distance. Humanoid makes a point about SLO being a small area, so I probably won't find many artistic connections with other CG artist or studios. SD would probably be more well suited for that, being a metropolitan area. Also, would it be safer to say that finding a job close to the apartment is more likely in a place like Pacific Beach? Right near the beach, boardwalk, etc. On the upside, you said SLO it has many beautiful women. =] Perhaps I could even spend a year or 2 in San Luis before moving to SD or SF for industry opportunities. My partner, Amy, loves traveling, and probably wouldn't mind moving in between cities, but who knows. I still got a few months to figure it all out. Keep up the great help guys! Btw, Humanoid, you and other people seem to argue about the randomest stuff lol. Music is always a emotional debate, so lets try an keep it down a little. ;]

Edit: A-Team and Humanoid, it's probably better if you just end the debates, cause now it's starting to get flared up, and I don't want this thread to turn into a trollfest or completly OT discussion. Much thanks on the kind words tho. Do you think I should post anything in the San Diego boards? Or are there other forums you're talking about A-team?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:16 AM

The only thing I know how to do with this computer stuff is surf the web. I own a digital camera, but I don't know the first thing about dowloading and sending photos. Look at Yahoo.com Images San Luis Obispo. Lots of photos. Also I found Locallinks.com, look for central coast photos. Quite a few photos there too. I grew up in Morro Bay and now live in Los Osos (Montana De Oro, is next door). Check out the photos of those places, too. You'll get an idea of how beautiful it is here. Living in SLO and walking or biking to work? totally. You can make that happen. No artistic connections? I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. Cal Poly is a great resource. You can probably find common ground there. I'm not quite sure what you are talking about completely? 3d artist? studios? Maybe explain it a little.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:23 AM

Default Deeds of Flesh

Actually, the core of that band originally were kids who grew up in Los Osos. I went to school with them. It's funny, they are the most successful band to EVER come out of this area, and nobody here has ever heard of them.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Actually, the core of that band originally were kids who grew up in Los Osos. I went to school with them. It's funny, they are the most successful band to EVER come out of this area, and nobody here has ever heard of them.
Thats cool But yea thats often how it goes lol, Vore is one of the most well known bands from my hometown, but only some metal fans from the area know about them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California